Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Irish Hosting Company to go for?

Options
  • 15-03-2007 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi All

Hoped to post this thread in the Hosting Forum, but it look dormant and their was no option either, but since this was the closest to it that i've seen, i'd like to get some your views on the irish hosting companies in ireland, i.e range of products, value, customer service, the managment interface (cPanel), also range of features too (SQL, PHP5?, SSH access?)

To date i've been doing a be of googling! on the bigger guys, Hosting365 and Blacknight but, not getting a very good responce from either of them, I hear this site, Boards.ie has moved to Digiweb, How are they for hosting?, me myself i have 3 domains on Letshost.ie, and for what you get it's great value, but not the most fastest shared hosting provider, their control panel and FTP access can be sluggish from time to time,

Anyways, i'm look for a fast, and reliable hoster that will provider very good customer services, with good technical knowledge for a email and webhosting.

What would you recommend
    Thanks, in Advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

There is about a gazillion threads on this, do a search and you will find what you need.

I would personally recommend Blacknight and Hosting365.

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

grahamor wrote:
    There is about a gazillion threads on this, do a search and you will find what you need.

I would personally recommend Blacknight and Hosting365.

Hope it helps

Have experience with digiweb,blacknight, hosting365 .. and I'd go blacknight or hosting365 ..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Same. I'm with Blacknight, very happy. H365 are great too, just pick whichever has the package most suitable for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

the speed difference since boards moved to digiweb is a major plus point there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Such is true. Even before the new hardware went in.

Although there was some jiggery-pokery done with the configs as well, so how much comes down to that I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

To date i've been doing a be of googling! on the bigger guys, Hosting365 and Blacknight but, not getting a very good responce from either of them,

Please email me directly if you are having issues getting answers from our staff (michele@blacknight.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Does it specifically have to be an Irish hosting company?

The only Irish host I have used is Blacknight and I would never think of using another Irish, or indeed foreign, webhost or domain host for any of my own sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

I use blacknight, aside from that, I dont think the boards speed upgrade was anything to do with hosting tho

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I use Hosting365 myself, have done for 3+ years and have never had a problem. For me the guys have helped me when they didn't strictly have to under the actual terms of the contract and that kind of human interaction is hard to beat.

I have done work for others on both Blacknight and letshost it and of those 2 I would recommend Blacknight, but I myself have no plans to move from h365.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

The boards speed improvements were not hosting related - but rather config and hardware.

Likewise, feel free to PM me if you've any questions,

Stephen

• Advertisement

The boards speed improvements were not hosting related - but rather config and hardware.

Is hardware not hosting related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Boards was colocating their own hardware with hosting365 - we were responsible only for supplying power and connectivity (and some free switches we lent the lads ) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Is hardware not hosting related?

It might be if the provider owned the equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I just came on here to ask the same question as the OP because I just bought a domain off an irish company and I'm not happy. I don't buy many domains so I don't know what is the norm but a few years back I bought a few domains (I can't remember the providers name) that included things like easy email set up and control. The company's site says there is free email forawrding with every domain so I thought I'd be cool. But I couldn't find it in the control panel So I ask them about this and they tell me I don't have it and I tell them it's on their homepage then they say it's not etc etc. On top of this my username/password didn't work. All I want is simple email set up and at this stage I've exchanged 35+ emails in 3 days trying to get it sorted. Eventually they asked for what emails I wanted and said they set it up and to go to their video tutorial which tells me to refer to the email I received with the relevant details I need. I never received this email. On top of that, after all of this their email spprt person got distinctly smart with me at the end. I was going to go with them as my hosting provider not now. I think I'll be swapping to someone like Blacknight.

YMMV.

mod note: this user was not looking for support - merely highlighting what support he recieved was poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

wasn't the hosting forum closed down to avoid just this sort of thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

OK I have made a sticky already and have been very lapse in the past.

The next poster who posts here looking for support on any hosting company that "they cannot contact" - I am banning, no questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Well, within 12hour i didn't think their would be such a responce, but it's help i've made my desion on the hosting company that i will be going for, not going to disclose it here, as i don't want see the kinda carry on that goes on in the Broadband forum, but one point i'd like to make, is, no matter what hosting company anyone choese that are Irish based or not, i would advice anyone that wishes to setup a domain and hosting space to atleast seek professional help, if they do not have the required knowledged and understanding to do so, regarding the support the hosting company provides, I personlly would not expect much, but only to the extent to support the hosting plan that you may have with them and not the actally website that is on it.

However regarding Ph3n0m post, lets try and keep this forum strickly testimoils only but no flaming on about particular bad customers experence, etc...

Again, thanks for the feedback,

Boards was colocating their own hardware with hosting365 - we were responsible only for supplying power and connectivity (and some free switches we lent the lads ) :)

ahh, got ya :)

Advertisement