Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spare Wheel and Jack

Options
  • 15-03-2007 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I could pick up a budget spare wheel for a Ford Transit just incase I get a puncture that will last till I get it fixed somewhere? And would I need a special jack to change the tyre on a fully loaded Ford Transit Long Wheel/Semi high roof? Where's a decent place to get the jack I need?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions, but I would recommend that you carry a large can of TyreWeld. I'm not sure that it'll be suitable for the application you describe, but it should tell you on the can. It's no good for sidewall damage, but most punctures are on the tread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I have a 01 Transit high roof that I use for PA equipment, it gets heavy when loaded. I use a decent trolly Jack, you would get one of these in a good factors for about e75 get at least a 2 to 3 ton, much better than what Ford origionally supply.

You would pick up a spare wheel in any decent van breaker yards, theres one in Enfield. If its the newer type van the front wheel drive use a different size wheel than rear wheel drive. also never secure the spare wheel under the rear of the van as the travellers have a reputation of swiping them!!!!

Tyre weld will get you out of a hole but dont depend on it, left me with a blow out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

E75 for a jack:eek: .... :eek:

didn't think it'd be that much at all, I was thinking 20 Max:( That's crazy! Weren't trolley jacks going in Aldi for about €17 before? Would E75 be in a high street rip off shop or the average price of these things?

Would I have to go to a van breakers yard specifically or would all breakers yards have van tyres? There's one just down the road in Dun Laoghaire!

cormie wrote:
    E75 for a jack:eek: .... :eek:

didn't think it'd be that much at all, I was thinking 20 Max:( That's crazy! Weren't trolley jacks going in Aldi for about €17 before? Would E75 be in a high street rip off shop or the average price of these things?

Would I have to go to a van breakers yard specifically or would all breakers yards have van tyres? There's one just down the road in Dun Laoghaire!

Make a few calls first over the spare wheel, I dont think Shane at the East pier has any tranny parts although he might get one in. I wouldnt touch any cheap jacks. They can twist under the pressure. Ashgrove do one for e25 would get you out of a hole and thats about it.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Any particular brands I should look out to/not to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If buying a jack no harm in spending an extra 20 or so and get axle stands. The chances of both being bad would be pretty slim. Can't be too safe.

cormie wrote:
    Ok, thanks for the advice. Any particular brands I should look out to/not to buy?

I got mine in Ashgrove Interparts off Kill Avenue Dunlaoghire, Tell them you want a jack that will support a fully loaded Transit. Theres good makes like Sealy but you will pay for them. I got away with a cheaper one.

Got a wheel and tyre for 90 in Dun Laoghaire Pier car breakers and got the jack in Ashgrove for 25. He said it'll be fine for a fully loaded transit as it's only lifting on corner of the van and wont have the full load on it. It's for 2 tonnes. Thanks for the advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

How about AA?

Advertisement