Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Drinking Water

Options
  • 15-03-2007 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I heard from someone who heard from someone who heard on Galway Bay fm that...the water is not fit for drinking today. Can anyone clarify this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Yeah, its all true, none of the pubs or restaurants can use tap water for the next few days. We got a letter today by hand from the Health inspector saying that the water is contaminated with "Cryptosporidium" (Translation = The ****s :D )
    We were also told that our ice machines cannot be used, Warm drinks for all on Paddy's day!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yellowellie

Thanks guys. The water tastes crap at the best of times...

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

So those Green pints we get on paddy's day won't be a gimmick. hmm, yummy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

So tesco/dunnes will be upping the price of bottled water then yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I heard this today too. Great excuse for beer if I ever heard one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Ah doesnt bother me.........I drink Volvic.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Ah makes sence now, my bf had a bit of a manky stomach for the past 4 days, he drinks about 3-4 ltrs of water a day. That'll teach him for trying to be healthy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This is a joke, they haven't actually found anything in the water, how are they going to be able to give the all clear on this? This could go on for weeks. Our canteen in work isn't even going to be offering lunch today because of this, what a joke of a "city".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

This is a joke, they haven't actually found anything in the water, how are they going to be able to give the all clear on this? This could go on for weeks. Our canteen in work isn't even going to be offering lunch today because of this, what a joke of a "city".

Why is it a joke of a city, if I read it right they can't find it in the drinking water but as a precaution they are advising people to boil water.
    Just sounds like common sense to me. Or would you rather they didnt issue the warning and you spend two week in bed with the sh**s.
    They will test the water for a period of time making sure each test is clear (you cant just do one test and say that its clear!)
    Or is this because you are going to have to venture into the big bad world at lunch time for you food!!

• Advertisement

It's because according to the press release they have no plans for alternative water supplies or to treat the water at source while they are testing it. There should be backup arrangements in place for a population of 100,000 people, in the event that something like this happens.

This could go on for weeks until an all-clear is given.

And I've already had it, it wasn't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Was in CP's last night and they were refusing to give out glasses of water. My friend was dying for one and had to pay 2.40 for it. Scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If it's such a "joke of a 'city'", why don't you go back to the "GDA" where, by the way, they had to cut off the water for 250,000 just 2 months ago. This was compounded by the fact that they had ONE water truck stationed in Clontarf to serve a whopping 100,000 of those affected.

If it's such a joke here, why don't you go back to the bigger joke that is the "GDA"...

Ammended to joke of a country...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

ugghhh i have it. Stomach in bits :( I was supposed to be going out for the first time in ages too!

All the bottled water was nearly gone from westside dunnes, saw people buying trolleys full, are they going to bathe in it?
    Had to end up by the expensive evian...

Can i really not even brush my teeth with it? do ye think that boiling it n kettle is ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Had two glasses of water with dinner yesterday. Came home and felt awful, had the ****s and really bad headache and was supposed to go out. A lot of bottled stuff gone out of shops around the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It's because according to the press release they have no plans for alternative water supplies or to treat the water at source while they are testing it. There should be backup arrangements in place for a population of 100,000 people, in the event that something like this happens.

But it's ok after you boil it, so why setup an alternative supply.

Alessandra wrote:
    ugghhh i have it. Stomach in bits :( I was supposed to be going out for the first time in ages too!

All the bottled water was nearly gone from westside dunnes, saw people buying trolleys full, are they going to bathe in it?
    Had to end up by the expensive evian...

Can i really not even brush my teeth with it? do ye think that boiling it n kettle is ok?

Boiling it in the kettle should be fine.

Restrict yourself to a diet of white bread, rice crispies/corn flakes, plenty of 7up and probiotic yoghurt. Taking an immuno booster like Actimel should help aswell.

Stay completely away from meat and avoid fibre altogether, avoid dairy as much as possible. Don't take diarrhea medicine like immodium, this will prolong the infection. You can take motillium which may relieve the cramps (it didn't work too well for me though).

If it's any help psychologically when you are getting cramps remember that this is a sign of your body fighting the infection.

Apart from that stay in bed as much as you can, and get plenty of rest.

I hope you get over it quickly.

EDIT: forgot that plain biscuits are ok too. if it lasts longer than 10 days consult your doctor. That's what the doctor told me about it, so I've just saved you 50 bucks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

boil cool drink

kills everything

DON'T EVEN WASH VEG IN IT THAT GETS NASTY TOO (damn spanish water taught my cousins that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

All of the cafes on the NUIG campus are closed today and the water fountin in the library has been turned off. Thank god im going home for the weekend,it would want to be sorted by next tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So this is why my housemate has the ****s for weeks now. Oh baby, he couldn't even sleep or lie on his bed. Nobody was allowed enter his bathroom either. Ah, good ole riverrock for me, as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yeah, I'll second that. Four people (nearly half our workforce) are out sick today... I'm thanking my lucky stars here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I had it for about 4 days.
    But it didn't materialise as bad as i'm reading.
    Just got waves of stomach pains like cramps and a little sick feeling.
    Had to use the loo several times a day but never fully had the ****s.
    I guess my immune system kicked those parasites arses!
    Oh yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 smellbreath

You all realise there's no proof that this parasite is in the water right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

An awful lot of people are getting the ****s etc.
    May be something else, but coincidence?

Public health scares like this always get people believing they have the ailment being publicised.

Every time someone has a runny poo in the next two weeks, they're going to think, "oh that's the water bug!"

It's only natural.

Let's see if they find the parasite or not. The decision to tell us no the drink the water seems sound because it's a chance not worth taking, but there is no hard proof that this parasite is in the water system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

An awful lot of people are getting the ****s etc.
    May be something else, but coincidence?

Well, i drink quite a bit of water and yes sometimes it's straight from the tap.
    At work we have one of those water cooler yokes, that's where i fill up my water bottle everyday x 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Let's see if they find the parasite or not. The decision to tell us no the drink the water seems sound because it's a chance not worth taking, but there is no hard proof that this parasite is in the water system.

Its true that there's no hard proof, but the fact that massive amounts of galwegians are being struck down by the same bug would indicate that its highly likely. If it was a virus or summat it surely would have hit the rest of the country by now...

ts true that there's no hard proof, but the fact that massive amounts of galwegians are being struck down by the same bug would indicate that its highly likely. If it was a virus or summat it surely would have hit the rest of the country by now...

Possibly. However, I drink the water all the time too and I've had no problems, which I'm sure is the same for a lot of Galwegians. All I'm saying is there is no hard proof and this is a precaution. A sensible one but that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I've been very sick all week with this, running to the loo, not pleasant!

Advertisement