Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Drinking Water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I can't remember hearing from so many people who seem to be having these symptoms at the same time (I had a bout of this myself about a fortnight ago, not sure if it's within the timeframe, but it lasted four days and was distinctly unpleasant), so I suspect that it's a real issue of some kind, whether it's in the water or not...

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yellowellie

Maybe we should all make a stock-pile of toilet roll in case the s**t really hits the fan with this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Yes there is ice in the Dew Drop and buskers Browns

It was Brought in from Out side galway Co was chatting to Staff there to day in the 2 places so we know what bars are going to be Busy to 2Morr
    Nice one Lads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Explains why the kids had sore tummies last week,:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I can just imagine how many people will be feeling under the weather on Sunday, and blaming it on the water / ice! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Cryptosporidiosis has a tendency to break out around lambing season. The heavy rainfall probably helped to get the parasite into the water system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

Ah the joys of living in the sticks...nuthin but fresh water straight from the bog :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

its a bug going around galway, yes maybe its not due to the water, but with such an outbreak they didnt want to take chance... had it for the last few days, getting better now. but was nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Ya can just imagine the chaos....all the supermarkets running out of bottled water and bog roll. Better hold on to the daily news papers as back up just incase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I just got back from France last night... to this!

Oh joy of joys... I love Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Strange - whenever I think about/talk about this water problem (like reading this thread) I get bad cramps in my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

btw, I read somewhere that the actual sh*ts break out two weeks after infection with this parasite - so in most cases, those boil the water measurements are way too late...

Don't drink tap water here anyway (way too much chlorine...), but it is a touch inconvenient having to boil water to brush your teeth...(and it kills me having to give the cats the expensive bottled water as well (they won't touch the boiled stuff...*aargh*)

Ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

SyxPak wrote:
    So tesco/dunnes will be upping the price of bottled water then yeah?
    To be fair, the Cellar dropped the price of their bottled water on Paddys night

Theres a few pubs in the Galway area that are rightly screwed as far as I know; if they have washed out their pipes in the past few days with water, they cant serve any pints. So they had to shut down.. can anyone confirm this?

Nothing has been found in the water as such yet. Well, as far as I know. They are doing all of this as a caution. Things might be up and running in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The parasites name is "Cryptosporidium"

Strange... I could have sworn I've seen that name before.

Yes, I have in "Destroy All Humans". It's the name of the alien race... Hmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Intriguing, so far tests have shown nothing wrong with the water.
    Can't wait to see what caused my tummy so much problems :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 triblex

I know some ones drank a lot from taps before they were advised to boil the water and they still alive now, no pains occur.;)
    hope the alarm will be abolished soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Ya can just imagine the chaos....all the supermarkets running out of bottled water and bog roll. Better hold on to the daily news papers as back up just incase :D

not a good idea ink stains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Neither of my house mates have picked it up, and they've been drinking the tapwater up until now. I doubt it's the water. There are plenty of other illnesses that cause stomach cramps and diarrhoea, Are you sure it's Cryptosporidium?

Either way, boo to feeling like you're getting punched in the stomach repeatedly. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, they are just suspecting. It has not been found in the water.
    It could be airborne. den den den

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just heard on radio

It IS in the water. Been confirmed, source of illness is in the water.

And number of people sick is now at 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Supposed to be especially bad around Headford and will take weeks before an all clear is given... great... Good old "Bad News Jim" was on the six o'clock news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Does anyone have a definitive list of the areas in which the tap water must be boiled before use?
    Are there many countryside areas well outside of the city blacklisted?

edit. found it....
    http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/PublicNotices/TheFile,6110,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Galway First finally finds a use!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

kraggy wrote:
    Just heard on radio

It IS in the water. Been confirmed, source of illness is in the water.

And number of people sick is now at 60.

It's amazing that so many of the 60 subscribe to boards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Fey! wrote:
    It's amazing that so many of the 60 subscribe to boards!!!

Yes and there's at least 70 of them in my office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

not like your gonna ring up and tell them you have diarrhoea :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Yeah I would say you could be safe adding an extra zero to sixty. I've had it bad for a week now and I didn't go out shouting it on the streets so everyone would know. I'd say the 60 they no about are the serious ones who have gone to hospital, but most haven't.

Is it safe to wash dishes with the water? My sickness had gone until I ate pasta last night with cutlery that I had rinsed with the water 10 minutes earlier.

Nope. You have to wash things with boiling water as well.. or else water that had been boiled, then cooled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Other question:

What are they (council, health board, whoever is responsible) actually going to DO to remedy the situation???? Sit and wait? Hope noone else gets sick?

Seriously...

Advertisement