Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Drinking Water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

You can be certain that they *can* do something to fix and prevent it, but that they *won't* do anything as long as the voters let them away with it.

OK here you go, take 2 minutes and drop a mail to our mayor, demmanding that something be done:

http://www.greenparty.ie/people/niall_brolch_in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

by the way, I heard a rumour (not sure if it's true), that there are two water treatment facilities here - one that's modern and up to scratch, able to filter the stuff, and one that dates back to God knows when - but both flow into the same water reservoir...great...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Any news on how long this is going to last?

Read in one of the Sunday papers that the water problem could go on for months yet.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It takes months to build a new water treatment plant but if we shot every sheep in N and W Galway and in S Roscommon and S Mayo we could get rid of it quicker it seems.

What do we have an army for ?????

• Advertisement

According to one news article I read 70% of the water is filtered through a plant that kills it, the other 30% is filtered through a plant that doesn't, and yes both empty into the same reservoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lads if ye were smart ye'd be going into the hospitals and filling up yer 5l bottles for free ;)

Or go to Lidl/Aldi and get yer cheap water

Have ye learned anything from being a student?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It takes months to build a new water treatment plant but if we shot every sheep in N and W Galway and in S Roscommon and S Mayo we could get rid of it quicker it seems.

What do we have an army for ?????
    If we sent the army out after the sheep, there would probably be a lot of "shooting" all right, but I doubt if it would solve the agricultural run-off problem!

Might even add to it! :D

Might even add to it! :D

Not if we bury them in the wilds of Mayo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Well it wasn't the sheep that caused the problem. It was the farmers spreading slurry and the almighty amount of rain we got a few weeks ago that started this.

Shoot the farmers tbh

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Lads if ye were smart ye'd be going into the hospitals and filling up yer 5l bottles for free ;)

Or go to Lidl/Aldi and get yer cheap water

Have ye learned anything from being a student?!

well, the water in Lidl costs the same as in Tescos and Dunnes (33 cents for 2 liters). And Aldi is actually more expensive...

I was discussing the lack of organised protest on this issue with a friend last night. We were thinking it's normally the Green party or Labour that would be organising protests about the lack of clean water. I think they're keeping quiet because the current Mayor is GP, and Labour are pretty strong on the Council, and they don't want to be protesting themselves. If this was France the place would be shut down with protests until something was done. The Celtic Tiger has a lot to answer for when there's this level of apathy in the public at large when it comes to a lack of provision of as basic a service as water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And what would you actually do?

Shutdown the aging 'treatment' plant?
    Shutdown both, drain the reservoir and fill from the newer treatment plant only?
    UV treatment of the water to kill the parasite - consequences?

I don't know what to do, but then again never put myself forward in an election to gain the power to make these descisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

South Mayo had been add to the BOIL WATER NOTICE

lack of organised protest to city hall on Monday god you could boil lot off heads sorry water there with the bs that thay talk up there and talk and talk that all that do there

Street light on Dominick st still not fixed since 2005 ...
    where the water tanks for are fresh water

time for a change in Galway befor it a westen mive with bush blow down the main street

niall brolch look at the carbon gas emissions been pump out with are esb bills
    6,000 tonnes of diesel required to boil all water in Galway for next 6 -7 months

no rates are bin Charges sould be payed untill some done

there lot off jobs on the line with Tourism in Galway city and Co
    hotels are been CANNCLED and so on

think we need to let the counciler in both building know were pissed off with some think that get them like blowing you horns passing the buildding

only thought

a little off topic, but:

to get a street light fixed, you (yes, you!) need to ring the ESB yourself, with the pole number. They will fix it if you ring up often enough (believe me, done it many a time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

galah wrote:
    a little off topic, but:

to get a street light fixed, you (yes, you!) need to ring the ESB yourself, with the pole number. They will fix it if you ring up often enough (believe me, done it many a time).

That kind of chat needs its own thread, and i bet it would be a good one too

Was I not right to mention organised shootings in s mayo yesterday now that they have been told to stop drinking the water too.

expect bannings all along the clare river into roscommon too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lisnageragh

Duplicate post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lisnageragh

I see there now claiming to have found Animal and Human POO in the water.

Are we expected to wash in this?

I get washed to get clean, Not wash to get covered in poo and parasites!

And what about the swimming pools, My kid has regular swimming lessons, is this safe?

There is very poor information being given out by the HSE and council.

Surely they hould be providing free bottle water for us all!

• Advertisement

They HAVE explicitly said leisureland is safe which may mean they tested it ...or not. Swimming pools have loadsa chlorine anyway .

Thank god I never disconnected me well and that the old mono pump works now if I could only bottle it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If its brown, drink it down. If its black, send it back.

Them feckers!

<wanders off ranting about government>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Aparently the water is gonna be infected for months.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0328/water.html

We have no choice but to wash ourselves in our own crap until it is lifted, well i suppose if you have the money/time you could always boil loads of water and fill the bath every day or stand in the rain until your clean :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I see there now claiming to have found Animal and Human POO in the water.

so where it coming from then what areain galway is affected exactly? which source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Swimming pools have loadsa chlorine anyway .

im nearly sure i heard it on the news last night that this parasite was resistant to chlorine..

im nearly sure i heard it on the news last night that this parasite was resistant to chlorine..

Yes it is

From the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptosporidium
    Cryptosporidium has a spore phase (oocyst) and in this state can survive for lengthy periods outside a host and also can resist many common disinfectants, notably chlorine based disinfectants

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You kill it with UV.

I'm glad to see Galway at the forefront of progression, we shall be among the first to witness the Water Wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I see O Brollochain has written/email/texte the governement aasking them to provide free tankers of disinfected water and to provide money to upgrade the water treatment plant.
    Ye're all giving out about the Mayor and the council but where are the TD's in all of this. I mean the council can't really effect the national scene much and don't have the money or the expertise to do much good. The government on the other hand are simply ignoring this issue. Where are O Cuiv and Fahey and Noel Grealish now? they should be up in arms about there own government ignoring the third biggest city in the country.

Also the parasite probably got into Lough Corrib (the source of all the drinking water for most of Galway) when it flooded for about 4-6 weeks over the winter. Farmers ain't allowed to spread slurry that may run into the lake but when the lake floods all of the usual preventitive measures are pretty useless as it takes animal waste straight of the fields and also gets into some secptic tank run off areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

The problem is that farmers arent allowed to spread slurry between i think october and feburary. So their tanks are full and they have to spread regardless of weather. this causes spreading in wet weather which leads to the slurry getting washed down through the ground too quickly. This leads to polluted groundwater as all the badness in the water doesnt get filtered in the soil as it normally would. Groundwater flows into corrib and bobs your uncle, we've got cryptosporidium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I know that but I reckon it was in the before the 3rd March (which i think is the date you can start spreading again). It also doesn't explain the contamination due to human waste.
    I'd say the flooding over the winter, perhaps combined with the wet spreading would be your problem here. Anyone who drove between Galway and Headford during the bad weather would have noticed how badly flooded all the fields were around there. All those drain only one way into the Corrib but I agree that the wetness was washing the water too quickly through the ground.

Also don't worry about washing yourselves with the water most of it is well cleaned. If you knew what sort of stuff goes into the water usually nobody would be drinking it ever. Go down to the waterworks in the Dyke Road and you'll see exteremly dirty water round there and a nasty auld smell too.

Advertisement