Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Maths Mocks misrabbly, in honours, what happens if i fail it in the leaving ?

Options
  • 15-03-2007 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

So anyway mocks, i got 19% in maths, higher level, what happens if i fail it at the leaving, what colleges wont take someone whos failed maths and has anyone got any tips on how to get the most improvment out of least work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Drop down to pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Dunno about dropping just yet... Have you the course finished? If you've got all the work done by March it's not impossible you could bring it up by June.. Did you think you were unprepared for it, or did you expect that result? Check Qualifax's website for entry requirments for different colleges, or their own webpages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You fail the Leaving Cert. Not many colleges would chance accepting you, though some offer a kind of resit maths test.

Pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

In arts, maths is not required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Really:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Forgive me for being blunt and/or presumptuous, but tbh, if you're getting 19% with less than 3 months left til the LC then there's very little chance you're going to get a C3 in HL Maths. Drop to pass and get yourself a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

You have to pass either Higher or Ordinary level for most courses.. I think the the likes of Galway and Cork university let you take there own maths paper about a month after the leaving..if you pass this exam and fail maths in the leaving its ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

TBH I don't see the LC as an end all and be all. If u fail maths it is not the end of the world, neither is getting a place in college. I didn't go to college after school and to be honest I don't regret it. Sure I started working on the lowest possible wage but I worked hard and picked myself up. I'm 31 yrs old today and I have a young family I adore, two properties and a studying in a new job which may not pay well as yet, my last job I was earning 50k. When my friends were leaving college I already owned one house. Life for us is comfortable whereas my friends are still buying houses and struggling thru life.

What I'm trying to say is look for ur own way thru life. If it involves going to college then good for u. I wish u the best of luck. If u decide to go to work after LC then it will be hard and u will have to work hard. The main thing is to find a job/career you enjoy and go for it. If you fall into a job you don't like then get go in another direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

...Right, a little out of scope maybe, TheNog! We're all aware that the LC isn't the be all and end all, but in terms of a LC forum failing maths is quite a significant issue!

Listen OP, by staying in honours you're playing a VERY dangerous game. There are so many stories of people sticking HL out and failing... and failing their LC...

I didn't do well in my maths pre (got a D2) but since then I've applied myself and improved a massive amount, with hours and hours of work I'd say I'm now capable of a C1 at least, but I don't know about working up from 20%... That seems like a gigantic move, and even with so many hours you may only get a D on passing?

Wouldn't dropping back to OL be an easier choice, and focusing on your other subjects? Or is maths required for your course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I wonder how well the OP did in English!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Just do pass if you got 19%. That means you did awful in both papers.

has anyone got any tips on how to get the most improvment out of least work

being a f**kin brain box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Everyone in my maths class failed the pre paper. 1 got 13%:eek: :eek:

2 dropped down and everyone else passed the LC.

Ask your teacher to work through the whole paper question by question.

A good approach would to be forget about part Cs and try to do well in As and Bs

Ok, how about this... have a look at last year's actual paper (not mocks). Look at the questions. Could you have answered them? How about the year before? And the year before? Not all of them, but enough to pass?

I think it was a good bit easier a few years back, ie in the 90s... That's where I started. Some are misleaded by the 2006 paper, which was pretty much the standard just a little... screwed up, ie hard part as with fair b's/c's, etc...

To answer your original question OP, buy a solutions book to assist you, start working topic by topic and work your ass off...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Forgive me for being blunt and/or presumptuous, but tbh, if you're getting 19% with less than 3 months left til the LC then there's very little chance you're going to get a C3 in HL Maths. Drop to pass and get yourself a B.

Considering you can get into Science in Trinity with a D3 what youve said is nonsense..

He has loads of time to get himself at least a C if he works hard ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Failing maths is generally not of the good. You need to at least pass it - even it's only the ordinary level paper - for a whole lot of courses. UCD and the other NUI colleges require you to have passed it for a lot of their courses, Trinity and DCU won't let you into anything without having passed maths at either ordinary or higher level.

The mock papers tend to be a tad on the wacky side for maths, so it'd be worth doing actual past papers and see how you get on before dropping down to pass (while the ordinary level paper is obviously, y'know, easier, it's not like other papers where you just get to leave out bits if you're not doing higher level, there's different stuff on it - just something to bear in mind!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Maths is seen by most institutions as a basic subject that you need to pass (usually get a D2 in either Honours or Pass) in order to be eligable for courses. Of course these requirements vary from college to college and from course to course.

The best person to ask would be your teacher. They're probably the only person who can offer you an honest and insightful opinion regarding your ability. Have a chat with them and then see where you stand, but Maths is a subject that requires work (at both Pass and Higher Levels) and if you aren't prepared to put in a decent amount of work then you'll continue to struggle

I'd recommend that you make your decision as soon as possible though because changing on the day (or close to the day) would be an absolute disaster as there are elements of the pass course that you wouldn't have encountered before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

Naikon wrote:
    Really:confused:
    think this depends on the ollege to which u apply! soem colleges require it as a must! same as say for example UCD require irish as a must unless u have an excemption or something similar...or come from a level 7 or 7 course i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭syberspud

It's a common one to flunk in the mocks. I got like 30% and got a B3 in actual exam. So, if you do some work, you'll be fine. If you think you won't though, drop to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I bought the Big Solution Book back to 1996..

Already feel abit more confident...

I think i'll be able to master the A's and B's anyway ..

Just have to start eating into the book now.. and only 2 1/2 months to go:eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

md99 wrote:
    being a f**kin brain box.

i love that,

yeah im considering pass, does anyone know does DCU do any sort of resit maths exam, i love their campus and want to do engineering.

maths is my only downfall, i did really well (>50%) in all other exams, its just maths,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

md99 wrote:
    ...Right, a little out of scope maybe, TheNog! We're all aware that the LC isn't the be all and end all, but in terms of a LC forum failing maths is quite a significant issue!

Listen OP, by staying in honours you're playing a VERY dangerous game. There are so many stories of people sticking HL out and failing... and failing their LC...

I didn't do well in my maths pre (got a D2) but since then I've applied myself and improved a massive amount, with hours and hours of work I'd say I'm now capable of a C1 at least, but I don't know about working up from 20%... That seems like a gigantic move, and even with so many hours you may only get a D on passing?

Wouldn't dropping back to OL be an easier choice, and focusing on your other subjects? Or is maths required for your course?

maths is a requirment, i can get as low as a d3 and have to do an interview, or if i get a c3 i dont have to go for the interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Considering you can get into Science in Trinity with a D3 what youve said is nonsense..

He has loads of time to get himself at least a C if he works hard ;)
    He's stated he doesn't want to work hard and you can get Science in Trinity with a C3 in pass Maths.

Of course it all depends on what the OP thinks he can do and what he needs for his course. But considering he thinks he's gonna fail HL maths and OL maths is easier, I'd say OL maths would give him a better chance.

EDIT: I've just read that you want to do Engineering in DCU. for that you need a C3 in HL Maths, which means you can't really drop down....
    I'd instinctively say don't do Engineering, I've heard a good few people who've come to our school to talk about Engineering and from other places who've said if you're struggling with HL LC Maths then it'll be very hard to keep up with the maths involved in third level Engineering....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I got an E in the mocks, but couldn't really afford to drop down (points-wise) so I got my ass in gear and came out with a C3. That took a lot of work though, so I'd say you really need to work really hard and get grinds if you want to stay in honours. Keep doing the exam papers over and over until you're getting most of the part A's and B's. Maths is something that only comes with lots of practice really.

I don't know which colleges do a resit maths exam, I know maynooth do one but I'm unsure of the details...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

well don't worry to much about your pre's... I hardly got more than 40% in the mocks last year and actually managed to get a B1 in the real exams.. even though I was guessing my way through paper 2...

ok.. I haven't done any maths revision until march.. but still.. it's enough if u work for a few weeks and go through last year's papers.. once u understand the way the paper works, u r fine. U don't have to be a genius in maths anyway... maths is studying methods...go through the examples in the book and ur exam papers and do as many as u can...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,289 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think I got a D in the mocks, hadn't really prepared. I got two or three one on one grinds, did alot of study using study guides, examples, past papers. Ended up getting a A2. That was a while back. For the irish exam it was my weakest subject, I think I got 40% in the mocks on the higher paper. Stayed in the higher class, but didn't do any work. On the morning of the exam I picked the pass paper. Ended up getting a C which was fine.

So I'd say do some more work, get help if you need it. If you're happy doing the pass paper, maybe thats what you should do. I'm not sure if it's still the case that you can choose which paper you want to do on the exam morning. If you don't think you'll pass the higher level, you should do the pass. You still have a lot of time, if you think you'll need the points, some more work at the higher level maths, you should be able to get a pass grade at it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

One could get a C3 in honours maths with 3 full days of study no problem (assuming you're intelligent enought). If you know nothing about the topic, go through the chapter, each part of the chapter is a type of question so read and do a couple of examples then hit the papers for the question that chapter covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

i love that,

yeah im considering pass, does anyone know does DCU do any sort of resit maths exam, i love their campus and want to do engineering.

maths is my only downfall, i did really well (>50%) in all other exams, its just maths,
    Email the engineering department and ask them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement