Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffold piercing

Options
  • 15-03-2007 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Lo all,
    I'm considering getting a scaffold piercing over the next few months (nothing particularly exciting, just a straight 2 point piercing) and I'm wondering what the average price for one would be. I'll probably be going to Living Art in Cork city as the piercer there did my nape piercings a while back and I was very happy with them. I know the place is more expensive than most (80eu for industrial piercings) and I'm just wondering what I should expect to pay elsewhere. It's more curiousity than anything else because I'd prefer to go to someplace where I trust the piercer than to save a couple of quid.
    Also, is it wiser to put in rings to begin with until the piercing is healed or can I get a bar put in straight away? I'm sure the piercer will advise me on this but I'm curious about other people's experiences/opinions on this.
    Thanks, Jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I went straight for a bar, doesnt make much of a difference really
    Paid 80 quid for mine but ended up taking it out after 2 years because I couldnt sleep on it
    Bit too common these days but nice piercings all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

DAMN this computer, I just wrote you a bigass reply and then it disappeared on me >.<

If I had to recommend a piercer in Cork, it'd be Carol in Tattoo Zoo, as she did one of my scaffolds and a few others that I know of. When I was last there they cost about €60, but that could have increased a bit by now for all I know. Also I think she only works Saturdays now so that may not suit.

(Disclaimer: Much of this is based on my experience, results may vary, yadda yadda)

A lot of piercers do a scaffold with the bar, usually a longer one to allow for swelling/cleaning, and will swap it for a more snug one 6-8 weeks later. They might do it with one needle to ensure a straight line. Some may use two needles to avoid having to use one that has been slightly 'dulled'.

Things to watch: hair getting stuck in it, it getting bumped, and you should avoid sleeping on it for as long as possible even if it's not sore anymore. Cartilage piercings are little bitches, and sometimes like to develop little lumps/scarring from the slightest bit of aggravation/pressure. However as long as the piercings is placed properly any problems should be avoidable or easily solved for the most part.

Sea salt soaks are your friend, you probably know that already if you are healing a nape :)

Anyway, good luck, hope that helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Ouch, I don't think I'd like to get two piercings done with the same needle. I'd noticed with my nape piercing that it hurt that bit more on the way out than when it went in first just due to the needle being a bit dull.
    This brings me to something I hadn't thought about before actually; what bore/gauge of piercing should I expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Presume 1.6mm needle, standard for most piercings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Ouch, I don't think I'd like to get two piercings done with the same needle. I'd noticed with my nape piercing that it hurt that bit more on the way out than when it went in first just due to the needle being a bit dull.
    This brings me to something I hadn't thought about before actually; what bore/gauge of piercing should I expect?

To be honest, you'll probably be so high from the first piercing you won't notice a difference with the second one :) I couldn't really compare a nape piercing with a scaffold, they don't feel anything alike. For what it's worth, I found that the nape piercing 'on it's way out' probably hurt more than the second part of my scaffolds. Cartilage piercings are sore/burny, but quick, where with the nape you're pretty much going through a big chunk of skin- they're very different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement