Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What finish on larch kitchen table?

Options
  • 15-03-2007 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi, i`m making a kitchen table (68" by 34" by 2" thick) out of 3 larch planks glued and pegged together, its been suggested to me that beeswax or Danish oil would be good to bring out the colour but would it be a durable enough finish for a kitchen table?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not IMO....unless you're going to have coasters and place mats all over it, spills, hot cups/plates will stain or burnish waxes and oils, or worse, penetrate the finish and stain the timber. Even if it's not going to be a high traffic area, oils and waxes need redoing every 6 months or so
    To get a similar hard wearing finish you could try sealing it and applying a matt lacquer with a small proprtion of satin laquer added. I say lacquer because it just lasts a lot longer than urethane varnishes and when it does come time to refinish you'll not need to strip it.
    Sealer/lacquer will not bring out the colour of the larch that much though....perhaps a VERY light coat of an apropriate dye ebfore sealing might help.

Advertisement