Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yay! Another Fast Forward Film Festival

• 15-03-2007 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Just going to paste the blurb...hope to see you there Monkeyfudge...

Actors! Writers! Directors! Camera Owners/Operators! Crew!
    RENEGADE ARTISTS!!!

UPCOMING 24 HOUR FILMMAKING FESTIVAL
    FRIDAY April 13th and SATURDAY April 14

Fast Forward Film Festival
    Dublin, Ireland

1. What's the Fast Forward Film Festival?
    We offer pre-registered groups of filmmakers (videomakers, actually) a chance to compete and make three minute movies overnight. We give the topic, you make the movie, we watch them all the next night and there's a high five for everyone who finishes. High fives are optional.

2. Why and Who? Wha'? 24 hours????
    Why? Because it is fun.
    Who comes up with stuff like this? Sean and Atom are two mad eejits in Chicago who have been running this type of thing for a couple of years. They are good people and you can find out more about their operation at this address: www.fastforwardfilmfest.com. We thought it was high time Ireland got in on the act.
    Who are "We"? "We" are mainly Andrew McAvinchey in Dublin, Thomas Yun, Sean and Atom in Chicago and the Renegade Arts Collective/Octopussy, who are all over the place.
    24 hours??? Yes. 24 hours.
    3. Festival History
    On March 24th and 25th 2006 the inaugural Fast Forward Ireland Festival was held in Monster Truck Gallery on Francis Street. We screened 2 hours of great films produced, shot, directed and edited in the previous 24 hours. The Festival was held 3 more times in association with Filmbase and Darklight in Dublin in 2006 and travelled to Braga, Portugal for the inaugural Fast Forward Film Festival Portugal in November 2006.
    Highlights include aliens with mind controlling cellphones, one team manically editing in their car outside FilmBase until the last minute for entry, Dame Street being raided by masked gunmen at 3 in the morning and a pervert spotted being slapped repeatedly in the middle of Temple Bar (who may or may not have been making a movie).

4. The Festival Schedule
    1. TOPICS ANNOUNCED
    • Friday April 13th 2007: 7 p.m. : Piedescalso Art Cafe at 78 Thomas Street, Dublin 8
    2. FILMS/VIDEOS HANDED IN FOR COMPETITION:
    • Saturday April 14th : Between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. : Piedescalso Art Cafe at 78 Thomas Street, Dublin 8.
    3. FILMS ARE SCREENED FOR COMPETITION AND AWARDED BY YOUR PEERS!
    • Saturday April 14th: 8 p.m.: The Back Loft, La Catedral Studios: 7/11 St. Augustine St. (off Thomas St) Dublin 8.www.myspace.com/lacatedralstudios.

TURN UP ON FRIDAY AND REGISTER WITH FRIENDS OR MEET PEOPLE THERE TO WORK WITH.
    REGISTER AT www.fastforwardireland.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh. Plenty bit of notice this time around as well.

I took part in one of these last year and it was great fun, so I'd encourage anyone interested in film production to go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I'll TAKE THE CASE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Um, I so so would...but the problem is I'm a Wexford lass, I'm only fifteen and I have no chance of getting to Dublin...

Think I might head up to this.

We can form a boards.ie team beforehand.

If you do turn up on the day... watch out for me.... I'll have a monkey!

and possibly some fudge... but I'm not making promises...

• Advertisement

I propose boards.ie team

for the cause I can provide

a sony vx2000 camcorder

rifle mic and boom pole

and a G5 to edit on with fcp 5 (but no motion :( ).

And (best of all) a city centre location to plan and edit our production over the 24 hours

and nintendo wii when we are stuck.

and a couch to sleep on.

So boards.ie team?

Myself (BlitzKrieg)
    Monkeyfudge

who else?

or multiple teams and we will massproduce our ways to victory.

I'd be up for a boards.ie team. I was trying to organsie a few friends but no one was interested.

Will there be cake and pie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd be up for this.

'net access is sketchy over the next couple of weeks (waiting for the man from BT), but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Will there be cake and pie?

Only if we actually plan this ahead and you guys show up on time for once.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Id very much enjoy participating in this. I really need to start getting involved in film production, just have rarely had access to the equipment previously.
    If there's no experience required, Id love to join.

F*CK!

I have the university paintball intervarsities to film on saturday 14th of april.

hmm

I'll see about getting a replacement camera-man for the paintballing. (I'm being hired as an editor primarily, I'm only filming because I have the only half decent camera. But I know someone who can cover for me). But i'll keep people posted if I'm there or not.

Well I've registered a boards.ie team for the festival.

Anyone is more than welcome to come along regardless of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm up for this. Have general experience in most areas but mostly editing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is it too late to put down for this too? Might be able to get my hands on a lighting kit, and I've got a lovely shiny imac with Final Cut Studio on it. Plus, I've a bizarre imagination and don't need much sleep! (I also smell nice).

The more the merrier I'd say.

How about anyone who is interested gathers at the café from about 17.00 onwards.

If there are too many of us, we can have a look at forming 2 teams, but I don't think it will come to that although we're going to have an abundance of editors.. ha...

I found a little map showing the location of the Café.

http://wikimapia.org/1994492/

Would it be an idea to find out what equipment is available before hand so we'd all know what to bring? Just in case someone ends up lugging equipment that's too heavy all over town.

well I have offered my apartment as a home base, its just across the river in smithfield. I have a G5 with final cut pro 5 on it and a buddha bag.

I can provide a rifle mic with either xlr to xlr cable or xlr to minijack.

I have a mic stand and a boom pole aswell, but no shock mount which means if it is put on a boom pole it wont be most stable (so low boom stance would be better advised)

i can provide a VX2000 sony 3ccd camcorder. But that depends on my commitment to another project which might make the camera unavailable on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    and a buddha bag.

Sold!

Never heard anything about this festival before. Any ideas what the past topics were?

Sold!

Never heard anything about this festival before. Any ideas what the past topics were?
    Well the one I entered we were given the word 'Once' and each team got a different photograph.

Here's what me and 6 other people who had never met each other before came up with.

Sorry the sound isn't great.

• Advertisement

Has a team benn registered? Because they've stopped taking entires now.

Yep. I've registered a boards.ie team.

Just adding that I'm a definate for this.

Yeah, I'm definate for this too.

Is there a limit to team sizes? I was thinking I could bring along an extra person or two, but if Team Boardsie ends up being full, and there's no room for extra teams, it might not be worth their while.

my camera is unavailable on the day, and I havnt heard back about the 2nd cameraman if he is coming or not, do we have any other camera owners here?

and the team limit is meant to be 8 I think, have to ask monkeyfudge

and the registration is full according to the website (over 30 teams!)
    Registration for April's festival is now closed. EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO THE SCREENING ON APRIL 14th! Even NON-PARTICIPANTS!

Over 30 teams have registered for the Fast Forward Festival taking place between April 13th and April 14th in Dublin. Everyone has gone mental for making movies.

This means we have to shut down our online registration of teams since there's no way we'll be able to show everyone's movies if we take any more teams on. This poses something of a dilemma for us since we are supposed to be encouraging everyone to make movies.

So we are asking everyone who has registered a team to think of your friends and neighbours. Some of you prefer to keep your group pretty tightly knit and work best together, which I respect.

However, if you're the kind of groovy people this festival loves, TAKE PEOPLE IN. There are loads of people dying to make movies and you can have them on your crew. Actors, camera, editors, writers, booze runners. All there for the taking.

So, IF YOU ARE HAPPY TO MERGE TEAMS, OR TO HAVE PEOPLE ADDED TO YOUR TEAM, please send an email to this address with the subject line 'I'm Groovy': dabdidea(at)gmail.com. (the (at) is really an @, its just to confuse the spammers).

Some teams have already expressed their willingness to merge, and to them we offer our sincere thanks. We'll be attempting to group some teams together on the night the topics are given out as well, so just let us know when you arrive if this is something you'd be on for.

This time its all about collaboration, so who knows, the judges might reward an Arcade Fire style collective mess of creativity!

More details including rules, formats, directions etc. will be available on the website at the weekend.

Thanks for entering- can't wait to see all the movies!

Andrew

discepolo della esperienza

Might be able to get one, though there might be an extra person attached to it.

I'll ask tonight, see what he says.

I've got two mates who are interested in this. They both have cameras, one a HD and he has a steadycam rig too.

heh, overkill

but lets check out numbers.

1. blitzy
    2. MonkeyFudge
    3.Humanji
    4.Goodshape
    5.jiumeatsmenu
    6.Darko

those are definites,

we are still waiting for confirmation from

Johnny_ultimate

and

*peter* (a non-boardsie, that signed up with me and monkeyfudge when we registered.)

He's just checking his scheduale because he is filming a football match on saturday and if its away then he wont be coming.

So once we get some confirmation on those two final places, we'll talk what we need and where those places go.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    and the team limit is meant to be 8 I think, have to ask monkeyfudge
    I don't think it will be an issue. I'll be very surprised if we get more than 8 anyway.... We are an unreliable bunch after all...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looking like its unlikely Ill be able to make this. Weighed under with college stuff and a few prior engagements that weekend.
    Apologies, and make sure you all make one damn fine motion picture.

Advertisement