Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus

Options
  • 16-03-2007 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi every one

I was looking at a ford focus today it was a 1.4 petrol CL 2002 nct till 03/03/08
    58000 miles on it. . its in very good nic. the guy is looking for 7000 for it.

would this be agood deal.

Thanks.

james

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

james92 wrote:
    Hi every one

I was looking at a ford focus today it was a 1.4 petrol CL 2002 nct till 03/03/08
    58000 miles on it. would any one know would it have abs on it for got to ask the guy. its in very good nic. the guy is looking for 7000 for it.

Thanks.

james

edit: apparently it's not standard so editing bad info out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

nope - it would not, unless he paid for it, which is unlikely. ABS was still an optional extra in 2002 on the Focus. I should know, I spec'ed it for mine that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

daveym wrote:
    it would have abs.

I'm not sure about that. It would depend on the model in question back in 2002. I don't think the Focus had ABS as standard until around 2003.

james92 wrote:
    Hi every one

58000 miles on it. . its in very good nic. the guy is looking for 7000 for it.

Thanks.

james

€7K sounds decent enough to me for a 2002 Focus 1.4 litre. I'm not sure if the 1.4 litre engine had a timing belt or chain. If it is a timing belt then at 58,000 miles it is probably due a change if not done already. Factor this into the price if it has a timing belt.

ok, willing to be wrong on this. basing it on my 99 one having it, but I bought
    it a year old so could have been spec'd by original owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

My 2003 Zetec doesn't have ABS.

Brakes are a waste of time.

maidhc wrote:
    My 2003 Zetec doesn't have ABS.

Brakes are a waste of time.

in the focus, or at all?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Not related to a 2002 model but I was a passenger in a 06 model and I would not touch it with a barge pole. The bloody car was so slow with no power at all. Once it took us (3 in the car) a good 20-30 seconds to reach 100kph and over that speed the car didn't feel solid on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

daveym wrote:
    in the focus, or at all?? :D

No the brakes in the focus are fine (no more than than fine though). Using them is a waste of kinetic energy and causes climate change though. :D

€7000 for an 02 seems a fair bit. At least go for a 1.6 too. It won't cost you a penny more at this stage, and you will have a far livelier car.

TheNog wrote:
    Not related to a 2002 model but I was a passenger in a 06 model and I would not touch it with a barge pole. The bloody car was so slow with no power at all. Once it took us (3 in the car) a good 20-30 seconds to reach 100kph and over that speed the car didn't feel solid on the road.

have to disagree with this, wasn't the speediest but my 99 got me from 00 to 06 with only one day off the road to change an ignition coil. Never had any trouble with it and tbh didn't look after it very well. They have been roundly reviewed in absolutely every car mag and program as by far the best car in the class to drive for the last 10 years. Only now are the others starting to catch up.

I passed it on to my Dad and he is delighted with it too.

• Advertisement

While the Focus has always been known to be one of the best in it's class from a chassis and driving perspective, the 1.4 litre petrol engine never received the same praise. It only has something like 80bhp which is the same as a 1.4 VW Golf. Most cars in this bracket have between 90 and 100bhp from 1.4 litre engines these days. This engine struggles even more in the MKII Focus as it is a heavier car.

Ford imo need to start injecting new design into their entry level petrol engines to match their very good chassis designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Find out if the coil pack has ever been replaced. These tend to go on the 1.4 focus. The pack itself is less than €50, but it when on my wifes last car, because we didn't know what the problem was, ended up burning out the cat and lamba sensor. Ended up costing near €1000 to sort.

I was told by a a Ford dealer that the 1.4 focus is to underpowered becasue of the size of the body. Other than that a great car, I had the 1.6 ghia saloon myself and would highly recommend them.

The 1.4 is 74 bhp.
    My last car was a focus and its a great little car.

I'm not gone on the looks of the new focus but the intrieor is 10 times better than the old car.

Find out if the coil pack has ever been replaced. These tend to go on the 1.4 focus. The pack itself is less than €50, but it when on my wifes last car, because we didn't know what the problem was, ended up burning out the cat and lamba sensor. Ended up costing near €1000 to sort.

I was told by a a Ford dealer that the 1.4 focus is to underpowered becasue of the size of the body. Other than that a great car, I had the 1.6 ghia saloon myself and would highly recommend them.

will back this up, it was the one thing that went wrong with my car.

Advertisement