Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Current test waiting time

Options
  • 16-03-2007 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what the current test waiting times are since the external examiners have come in? I applied in October or maybe November, can't remember exactly when, for the Dublin West centre.

Friend of mine was the same and he got his test (and subsequently failed) a month back, but he may have been on the cancellation list. I'm not sure, but I would have thought so since his job requires him to drive all day.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It would also be a good idea to phone the lo-call number listed on their website. There's an automated system that gives out the waiting times over the phone. They're updated more frequently than the ones on the website.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wait time is just insane :(
    Kinda goes against wanting safer drivers on the roads in Ireland when you think about it....

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I was waiting pretty much exactly 6 months for my test in Rathgar, which I just passed today :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I applied last May for a test in Cork city, got my notification today (for the end of April, when I won't be in the country!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Recently did my test with the externals in Fonthill (Clondalkin) and waited about 8 months AFAIK (I can check tonight)..I had applied to do it in Tallaght originally but they basically said do it in Clondalkin or go back to the start of the queue. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

kbannon wrote:
    They havent updated that site in over 2 years and I was hoping with the election coming up the waiting times would be reduced
    I applied for the old cratloe road in Limerick city at the start of february and would love to have it done before the summer is out

I was waiting pretty much exactly 6 months for my test in Rathgar, which I just passed today :)

Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I have been waiting six months now since applying in September 06 for the Killarney Test Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

stovelid wrote:
    I had applied to do it in Tallaght originally but they basically said do it in Clondalkin or go back to the start of the queue. :D
    What's wrong with Tallaght? I have applied to it because I was told that the Finglas one was even longer and I would save at least 2 months or so - don't tell me Tallaght is totally backlogged :(

^^ there all backlogged (well almost)

What's wrong with Tallaght? I have applied to it because I was told that the Finglas one was even longer and I would save at least 2 months or so - don't tell me Tallaght is totally backlogged :(

Some tests in Dublin are being outsourced, and the outsourced centres are close to but not in the exact same locations as the test centres they're taking tests from. For example, you could apply to do your test in Finglas but end up doing it in Ballymun if you get an outsourced test. I've heard it's a good thing if you get an outsourced test btw, from anecdotal evidence, the testers aren't supposed to be as strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I applied for mine there two weeks ago, sent in a letter from work last week and will follow that up with a phone call next week try progress things along a bit see how long the whole process takes.

I applied for mine in tallaght also but purposefully, in the hope of getting to sit it with SGS who are doing them out of the NCT centre in fonthill industrial estate there by liffey valley. Seeing as how I drive to liffey valley countless times a week I would know all the roads in the route already so it is a nice advantage to have.

2 of my friends who also applied to tallaght last year sat their tests with SGS at fonthill and both were handy routes altogether.

IncredibleBulk how long where your friends waiting for their test?

I don't know, sorry.

I live in Saggart and applied for Tallaght as I know it well. The girl on the phone wouldn't say why i was switched to Fonthill.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I applied last August for Churchtown. I got my confirmation on Friday for Deansgrange at the start of May. I could have gotten it earlier (got a letter at the start of February) but the only date they had was the 26th of February which was too soon for me.

I'm inclined to agree. I did the test twice. The second time I sat - and passed - an outsourced test in Fonthill and I have to say that the instructor was much better the second time.

The first tester was dour and uncommunicative but the second tester (she) was really friendly and relatively informal which made a big difference to my nerves on the day. Can't say if this was just luck or policy, maybe others can verify this.
    Stark wrote:
    I've heard it's a good thing if you get an outsourced test btw, from anecdotal evidence, the testers aren't supposed to be as strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

IncredibleBulk how long where your friends waiting for their test?

They both would have booked them earlyish last year! I think more on the run up to summer so probably 8-10 months, I will ask them for you see if they can remember roughly better than I can.

They both would have booked them earlyish last year! I think more on the run up to summer so probably 8-10 months, I will ask them for you see if they can remember roughly better than I can.
    Hope it's closer to 8 months then 10 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I was due to have my test in December in Churchtown, but I cancelled due to a medical reason. Does this mean I have to wait another 34 wks

As far as I know, if a date for your test has been set, then they put you back in the queue. If you ring them with the dates you're unavailable before the date has been set then you don't lose your place. If you transfer test centres before a date has been set, you also don't lose your place.

I'd say ring them, make sure you get through to a human and plead your case. If you get someone who's reasonably nice, they might slip you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hey I live in Nenagh and am tempted to try doing a test in Tuam, according to that site the waiting time is low and it has a high pass rate.
    I think its about a 2 hr drive and I don't mind driving there a few times to get some lessons from a local driving school beforehand.
    Is there any reason why this might be a bad idea?

That site hasn't been updated in over 2 years...

Ya but I rang the number given on the site and it said 16 weeks for Tuam. I wonder when the waiting time on the phone was updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tuxy wrote:
    Hey I live in Nenagh and am tempted to try doing a test in Tuam, according to that site the waiting time is low and it has a high pass rate.
    I think its about a 2 hr drive and I don't mind driving there a few times to get some lessons from a local driving school beforehand.
    Is there any reason why this might be a bad idea?
    Legally, you would be required to have a fully licenced driver to accompany you to Nenagh. Apart from that, I can't see any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Gay Byrne was on the Last Word on Today FM the other day and he said that the waiting time is now down to 20 weeks and that by the end of the year it will be six... not sure if this is/ will be true but just passing on the info.

the external tests definitely seem much handier... i hope i get one!

Legally, you would be required to have a fully licenced driver to accompany you to Nenagh. Apart from that, I can't see any problem.

You mean to Tuam and back to Nenagh? Because I had figured it wouldn't look good if I just turned up on my own with no qualified driver beside me. My dad would probably be willing to come along. :)
    If any one can think of any other possible problems please let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

woooo232 wrote:
    the external tests definitely seem much handier... i hope i get one!
    What's the criterion for being selected for an outsourced test? Are the candidates selected at random?

Advertisement