Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC / NTL / Chorus internet problems tonight?

Options
  • 16-03-2007 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if there any of you are having problems using your NTL / Chorus / UPC internet connection today / tonight. I'm finding that about 1/4 of websites I go to that I'm getting page not found. If I refresh the page, most of the time the website will display. One or two just won't. Friends of mine can surf to these sites with no problem, so it's not the websites.

Lookslike maybe it's a DNS issue but not sure. Might configure my firewall to use opendns.com for a while to see if that eases up on things.

Just wondering and welcome comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Just to polish off this thread. It's not my router. It's Chorus. They are doing upgrade / maintanence in Naas AGAIN. That must be 4 or 5 times in the past 6 months.

I asked the nice lady do they not inform their customers of these scheduled outages and she said that they send out a letter advising of the work. I told her that I never received such a letter in all my time with them. She looked up my account and said that it was flagged as privacy.

Now when I signed up, I ticked the liccle box that said don't send me any marketing junl or pass my details onto a 3rd party. I would assume that this didn't mean that I wouldn't be sent outage notices.

Such is life, I had the privicy flag removed. Probably to my detriment.

They say it should be back in the hour. I'll hold my breath for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

I've been using chorus bb for over the last year in naas, but the quality of service seems to have really gone down hill for me, since christmas.

I've been having similar problems with websites timing out etc. and general torrent download speed have been pretty poor over the last week or two. hopefully this upgrade will sort things out

decdoc wrote:
    hopefully this upgrade will sort things out

Maybe you missed my sarcasm. I've been told by Chorus about 4 or 5 times [in the same number of months] that they were doing upgrades in Naas.

OMFG, IT'S A BRAND NEW SYSTEM. Why should they have to upgrade it???

Eihter their kit is in ****e or they do not know what they are doing. I do not see my issues fully resolved after these "upgrades". I'm biding my time until someone else comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

IrishTLR wrote:
    Maybe you missed my sarcasm. I've been told by Chorus about 4 or 5 times [in the same number of months] that they were doing upgrades in Naas.

OMFG, IT'S A BRAND NEW SYSTEM. Why should they have to upgrade it???

Eihter their kit is in ****e or they do not know what they are doing. I do not see my issues fully resolved after these "upgrades". I'm biding my time until someone else comes along.

I down with the flue today, so I'm not the brightest :rolleyes:

I think contention may be becoming a big problem for them in Naas, that initially there system was working great as it had no real load on it, now with a lot more users, it needs a large capacity upgrade, as must of my problems seem to be during the evening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

From the comereg site it says that if your complaint isn't dealt with to your satisfaction you can ask for it to be escalated. this is what i'm gona do , they were supposed to get back to me this week but never did, so wwhen they call i'm gona ask for that. maybe we should all do it.

when the upper management get clogged with complaints , then maybe thwey might listen and get it sorted

• Advertisement

Right, I stand by my sarcasm. Chorus in Naas has gone to ****e tonight. 33% packet loss, 80Kbps download and unknown upload.

And on a long weekend when only phone staff will probably be in their office tomorrow. More than likely won't get resolved until Tuesday.

From the comereg site it says that if your complaint isn't dealt with to your satisfaction you can ask for it to be escalated. this is what i'm gona do , they were supposed to get back to me this week but never did, so wwhen they call i'm gona ask for that. maybe we should all do it.

when the upper management get clogged with complaints , then maybe thwey might listen and get it sorted

You are having a laugh, aren't you. Management are NEVER available when you ask for them unless you know which buttons to push. Luckily I still have the direct line and email address of the head of CS :D

Only want to use that for emergancies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jpw

It could be the increase in users in Naas as mentioned. I signed up to their broadband in July 2005 and it was great any time of the day, always got what I was paying for, then 3Mbs and very quick downloads.

Since December 2006 the service has gone downhill. But it has really gone downhill since 15 March totally downhill as in really crap, not only was it down for a week but since it was "fixed" on 21 March it has been totally unpredictable and I often get packet loss and never ever have gotten a connection above 2.2Mbs (paying for 6Mbs at the moment) and ping tests vary from 56ms on a good day to over 700ms and I even got over 1000ms tonight doing a ping to www.ntlworld.ie it's just random. current speed is 0.5Mb, although varying between 0.2Mb and 1.2Mb tonight.

check out this posts where i rant some more:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055022387

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

I'm in Galway and have been experiencing the same problems for the last week, Websites not loading, Timing out of online games and Download speeds of 0.6 to 3 Kb/s.

Tried to ring UPC but was on hold for 15 minutes so I just gave up.

Don't think it has much to do with contention around my area could just be the whole system.

not sure what chorus/ntl are doing as their service has been terrible of late, naas has been really bad.

15 minutes is the norm for being on hold, at least. i checked my mobile bill for march and i've spent over €20 calling their support number. crazy, and my broadband service still ain't fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

I got through in 2 minutes at three.

The agent said she would get a broadband technician to ring me back within 24 hours, if I hear back I will be very surprised.

can people who have problems with chours to phone them and report it please, as otherwise they play the "we never knew", or "you're the only one to report the problem, so all must be rosey and the problem must be with your computer's firewall" and lots of other excuses. so call in so they know it's a problem.

i know there is a wait, but on avg you should get through in under 15mins, and normally within 9mins.

chours/ntl: 1890-20-20-29

jpw wrote:
    otherwise they play the "we never knew", or "you're the only one to report the problem, so all must be rosey and the problem must be with your computer's firewall"

That is there standard line. Didn't you know that their systems are perfect and any problems HAVE to be your computer or firewall....

broadband tonight in naas via chorus is terrible. getting less than dial-up speeds and 50% packet loss on pings.

anyway else having same problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Yep, same with NTL in D15 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I was getting good speeds all of yesterday and tonight.

jpw wrote:
    broadband tonight in naas via chorus is terrible. getting less than dial-up speeds and 50% packet loss on pings.

anyway else having same problems?

No problems notice with me in Naas. I was playing HL2:CTF from about 8pm through 10:30pm and was fine. My pings varied from about 70ms to about 170ms but all in all I didn't notice much problems.

still big problems in naas, extremely slow speeds and time-outs on some webpages. what the hell is up with chorus in naas, haven't had broadband working correctly for over three weeks now!

not sure what's up, other people living here have same problem.

Dammit. Why aren't Smart in Naas yet. Might give them a ring but I don't think it will be this year, somehow.

Hmm, just rang Smart and IBB and neither of them are in Naas yet. I am NOT going back to Clearwire and I'm NOT getting a phone line back in until Smart come here. Guess I'll just have to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

NTL went down here in waterford at 12 today. and was off for at lease 2 hours, did this happen anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

NTL went down here in waterford at 12 today. and was off for at lease 2 hours, did this happen anywhere else?

Went down for me but only for about 10 minutes.

Advertisement