Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass

Options
  • 16-03-2007 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Today I had an NCT in Donegal town and I used the Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass for the first time (last few times I was in Donegal I had to make stops in Bundoran and Ballyshannon). It's a really fantastic improvement, making the journey quicker and less stressful than the old road (always hated the Finner section). Fair play to Donegal Co Co. Bundoran's no longer a car park and you can cross the street in Ballyshannon without risking your life.
    Sligo Co Co, are you seeing how it should be done?.... No? Didn't think so:(
    (Passed the NCT. Nice guys working there)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

sounds good, I have been looking at all the updates on bypasses around the north west and it seems everything is speeding up.

How is bundoran and ballyshannon coping since the bypass, I know a few towns have been crippled since they were bypassed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

knocked 15 minutes off the journey time from donegal town to sligo (thats without getting stuck for 30 or 40 mins in the summer)just waiting for the ballybaofey one now oh and grange and rathcormac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

It's a fantastic road, an example of how it should be done.
    (If you weren't a good law abiding citizen you could keep up with an English reg proche 911 for a bit @ 240kph, something that shouldn't even be considered :eek: :D:o )

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

knocked 15 minutes off the journey time from donegal town to sligo (thats without getting stuck for 30 or 40 mins in the summer)just waiting for the ballybaofey one now oh and grange and rathcormac
    Yes, would be great to see those towns bypassed, particularly the Twin Towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I never drive through Ballybofey and Stranorlar. I take the back road from The Cross and get on to the N15 on the Donegal Road in Ballybofey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The only bypass I'm familiar with is turning off at Drumkeen and coming out again at the junction near that pub that's for sale (I think Navenny is the townload?) on the Donegal side of Ballybofey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

The Bypass is a success. Donegal town seems to still be very busy traffic wise since its bypass. I drive the Bundoran bypass everyday and still see alot of other reg vehicles particularly northern turning off for Bundoran.

Driving through Ballyshannon, it still has the bottlenecks, you wonder how we managed before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I remember years ago, there used to be a back road that just outside ballyshannon that would bypass bundoran completely and bring you to the outskirts of kinlough. it was great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

That bypass is great, used it in the Summer to go to Omagh. Lovely not to have to go through Bundoran.
    If only Sligo Co.Council could take a look at it and do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Why is everyone giving out about the Inner Relief road in Sligo?
    Is it the road itself or the placement of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

In my opinion its both, but we are going off topic so I'll post it under the Sligo section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mayoimafriad

Its a great stretch of road, but i always thought they built to many roundabouts on it, they interupt the flow of traffic a lot in my opinion! take the 16km Claremorris/Knock bypass for example, it doesn't have a single rounadbout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The bypass has only three roundabouts serving
    • top and bottom entrances to Bundoran and
    • Ballyshannon with Rossnowlagh.
    with a slip road for Kinlough.
    It does not seem excessive to me.

The only problem is with drivers who always use the left-hand lane on the roundabouts even when they are going straight through.

yes i suppose 3 isn't that many, i thought it had 4! your right! love the straight stretch just after the 1st roundabout for bundoran where the bypass begins! most be one of the straightest stretch's of road in the country! all donegal needs now is for Ballybofey/Stranorlar to be bypassed and its main road up thru the county would be of excellent quality. wish they'd put traffic lights at the junction where the N13 meets the N15 in stranorlar for the meantime! its impossible to cross at peak times.

yes i suppose 3 isn't that many, i thought it had 4! your right! love the straight stretch just after the 1st roundabout for bundoran where the bypass begins! most be one of the straightest stretch's of road in the country! all donegal needs now is for Ballybofey/Stranorlar to be bypassed and its main road up thru the county would be of excellent quality. wish they'd put traffic lights at the junction where the N13 meets the N15 in stranorlar for the meantime! its impossible to cross at peak times.

Agree with you completely! Another crazy spot is the junction of the N13 and the road to Raphoe. Traffic on the N road has to give way to traffic on the (inferior) R road.

Yes i always found that strange why the N15 has to give way to the regional road to raphoe, i suppose its just because of the existing road layout...meaning the N15 happens to just be joining at a corner whereas the regional road is continuing straight!

A roundabout should of being built here years ago, especially considering theres no nearby houses in the way for widening to a roundabout.

The Ballybofey-Stranorlar bypass is supposed to run from here and then east of the towns.
    See map at http://www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyres/944D955F-B371-4302-BF34-4C1EECDC99B2/0/N15BypassProposedLayoutDrawing.pdf which shows a roundabout at the junction.

If it is ever built . . .

Cheers that map was interesting! seems like a nice straight bypass! jeez it would be gr8 if built! 2+2 type road ya?

NRA says "Type 2 dual carriageway & single carriageway bypass of Ballybofey and Stranorlar. "

I think that means 2+2 except around the town when it will be 1+1! They also have to build a bridge across the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its going to be an alternating 2 + 1 if you have ever seen them. I think the Castleblaney bypass is constructed that way.

• Advertisement

I thought the NRA were not going to construct 2+1 roads anymore???? 2+2 were the favoured option

Yes, in http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/RoadDesignConstruction/file,11236,en.pdf they said that 2+2 was safer than 2+1 and explained why.

However with the economy in its current state any bypass will probably be deferred/postponed/rescheduled as will the rest of the "Atlantic Corridor".

Advertisement