Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R600....300 watts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

It is indeed insanely stupid power consumption - its making me think twice too - use it for a few hours a day and youd notice that on your bill.

The idea of needing towards a 1kw psu is getting crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well it's going to be high but I would treat with caution that could be a worse case scenario just like NVIDIA did with it's parts it would over estimate the requirements for power draw when in fact they ran on much less powerful PSU's.

The mid-range looks fairly reasonable as only the top end RV630XT (X2600XT) card has a power connector & the RV630/RV610 make do with the PCI-e bus for power.

Also claims of 12K in 3DMark for the X2600XT that would put it on par with an X1900XT again treat with caution but that is impressive if it were true.

Also R600 has a built in sound card HD Audio for the HDMI port which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I dont think i will bother with this card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well we haven't really seen how the R600 performs so power requirements aside it could be the cat's pyjamas etc..

So I wouldn't rush to judgement just yet I'm waiting myself to see how it fairs could be better or worse than the 8800 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was reading somewhere else yesterday that is now suggesting the cosumption is only 200w...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

only:)

Advertisement