Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Correcting off the Walls?

Options
  • 16-03-2007 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Anyone get back pres which seem to have been corrected by an absolute moron who knows nothing of the subject... or how to add even?

Ours were very scattered, but in two of them they made some major errors with the adding (eg adding '78' as '18' in home ec... which meant I got an A but they put it down as a C!!!!) and FORGETTING to correct HALF a question in accounting for this reason... it got full marks, so instead of going through it they just gave it a tick to say, 54/54... then FORGOT to add it to the totals!! Absolute morons!

Some of my other papers barely seem to have been touched, got econ back yest. and it's been absolutely slaughtered, i mean word for WORD, EVERYTHING corrected... Which is great, if the b*****d wasn't being so specific... lol.. only got a B2 :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

A few marks that didn't add up, but nothing as dramatic as that. Really, really pedantic with marking, like biology- word-for-word definitions or NO MARKS given. Bah!! Just about all of them marked too hard, it's meant for motivation, but I'm just annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Remember that examiners have to correct all these exams as well as juggle their own classwork. It isn't worth the teachers time (or that of their own students) to be looking through papers more than once and as a result most of the papers are simply scanned through with their eyes open for keywords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Yeah I got 10 out of 9 marks and 13 out of 12 marks in some of my papers. Talk about over indulging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Apparently they are paid very poorly which in turn reflects on the marking quality. I wonder where the majority of the money we pay goes then..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i doubt they read anything more than a few lines in most subjects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

None of my papers were sent away to be corrected, all of the correcting was done by my normal teachers (fair play to them and I made a point of thanking them) but they were given a marking scheme with the papers and it was absolutely dreadful... For instance, in one of the german reading comprehensions, the marks in the marking scheme add up to 63 instead of 60...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

in the DEB marking scheme the accounting Q1 doesn't balance... just thought Id' throw that out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I've got most of my mock papers back now and can have no complaints with the correcting/marking.

PS. Come on Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

None were sent out and not many mistakes were made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

Remember that examiners have to correct all these exams as well as juggle their own classwork. It isn't worth the teachers time (or that of their own students) to be looking through papers more than once and as a result most of the papers are simply scanned through with their eyes open for keywords.

then they shouldn't be correcting other peoples exams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Tomlowe wrote:
    then they shouldn't be correcting other peoples exams
    Agreed. I paid 100 euro for these exams. I couldn't give a sh*t about their excuses. For that amount of money some level of quality should be expected, whoever's correcting them.

Then who should be correcting the exams? Almost every teacher in the country has their own class to worry about. Although there are of course teachers who do correct the exams very diligently and with great dedication but those who corrected our exams seemed to concentrate on getting through them as fast as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Steve01 wrote:
    Agreed. I paid 100 euro for these exams. I couldn't give a sh*t about their excuses. For that amount of money some level of quality should be expected, whoever's correcting them.

Didn't your parents pay it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

md99 wrote:
    Didn't your parents pay it..
    Most certainly not! Can't go running to mammy and daddy for everything.

On the note of correction, what's to say some correctors won't be correcting scripts in the pub, late into night to get them out of the way or, worst of all, when having relationship problems! You could expect some heedless correction in such situations. I will say I've been happy with how my scripts have been corrected to date, particularly maths [even if the corrector's writing was like that of a child]. She used highlighter for indicating total marks for each full question. It made scrutinising for marks much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

ethernet wrote:
    Most certainly not! Can't go running to mammy and daddy for everything.
    It shouldnt be a question of "running to mammy and daddy". Its your education and there are few parents that I can think of that wouldnt be paying such fees for their son/daughter. Lets get real here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I doubt all the DEB correctors are teachers, not even the SEC uses only teachers.

You can be sure there are much tighter controls on SEC correction of scripts though. Mistakes such as those mentioned will happen whenever there are people involved. Hopefully a tight set of controls and double-checks will catch such errors in the real thing.

Marshy wrote:
    It shouldnt be a question of "running to mammy and daddy". Its your education and there are few parents that I can think of that wouldnt be paying such fees for their son/daughter. Lets get real here.
    I'd agree with Eth, I have to contribute a portion of money to all significant fees and expenses and take care of all small and irregular expenses myself. While it does put a bit of pressure on me, I know that it will pay off when I'm finally out in the real world as I'll be aware of the real value of money and not just throw it around and take it for granted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

in my english class, all but 3 of the students (all boys) got an A in at least one paper........i got 93% in both. My Macbeth question was pure sh!t but i still managed to get 56 out of 60 for it. Im surprised they let a stoner correct the papers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Seinas wrote:
    in my english class, all but 3 of the students (all boys) got an A in at least one paper........i got 93% in both. My Macbeth question was pure sh!t but i still managed to get 56 out of 60 for it. Im surprised they let a stoner correct the papers :rolleyes:
    Well done and well earned. You've time to fix up some Macbeth questions before June.
    I'd agree with Eth, I have to contribute a portion of money to all significant fees and expenses and take care of all small and irregular expenses myself. While it does put a bit of pressure on me, I know that it will pay off when I'm finally out in the real world as I'll be aware of the real value of money and not just throw it around and take it for granted!
    Absolutely. It really does pay off when out on your own in the big, bad world. If I was to have gone to the Gaeltacht last summer, I know well I'd have to pay for it. Children are expensive enough to 'maintain' as it is without adding to the cost.
    spurious wrote:
    ... Hopefully a tight set of controls and double-checks will catch such errors in the real thing.
    I believe these are in place. IIRC, a teacher told us one in every so many papers is rechecked [marked using a different coloured pen] to see if correction standards are up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Mocks correcting is always nuts. Sure some companies pay college students to correct them at €1 a paper! I know if I was doing that I'd blitz through them and likely make mistakes too. Don't sweat it.
    it's meant for motivation, but I'm just annoyed.

Well make sure you're not feeling like that in august then hahaha :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement