Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

External media centre HD/Divx HD to connect to TV

• 16-03-2007 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I must have been living under a rock as I had not heard about the new rage of external DivX and Media Center hard drives. Has anyone set one up? I've been burning DivX's onto DVD from my store on my 320GB external HD to play on my DVD player :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about getting a media center one such as this one on SVP. Can anyone tell me how this would work? Does it actually have a copy of (windows) media center on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I have a Mediagate MG-35
    http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm
    From what I've read it's the same box.

It's a great yoke. It will work with a hard drive in it, if you just want to stream from the network.
    It has it's own operating system on it (seems to be Linux, and there are people developing their mods and skins for it).

I put a 320GB hard drive in it. Well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

5h4mr0(k wrote:
    I have a Mediagate MG-35
    http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm
    From what I've read it's the same box.

It's a great yoke. It will work with a hard drive in it, if you just want to stream from the network.
    It has it's own operating system on it (seems to be Linux, and there are people developing their mods and skins for it).

I put a 320GB hard drive in it. Well worth the money.

Hi. Thanks for the info. So you connect the box to the TV via composite cables and turn tv to AV. Turn on the HD and it boots to Linux? Does it take long to boot? It is (the box) loud with the fan etc? Whats the picture quality like?

daveg wrote:
    Hi. Thanks for the info. So you connect the box to the TV via composite cables and turn tv to AV. Turn on the HD and it boots to Linux? Does it take long to boot? It is (the box) loud with the fan etc? Whats the picture quality like?
    Boot is pretty quick. 15 -20 seconds maybe.... haven't timed it. Then it asks if you want to use the hard disk or the network. Menu system is like most of the media players.

Pretty quite. Low hum. Wouldn't notice it once there's some other sound source.

Picture is excellent. Haven't tried it hooked up to a HD screen.

Advantage of the network connection is that you can add you're latest DivX without having to disconnect everything. Disadvantage is that it can be slow, so initially I dumped everything on to it using the USB 2.0 connector.

5h4mr0(k wrote:
    Boot is pretty quick. 15 -20 seconds maybe.... haven't timed it. Then it asks if you want to use the hard disk or the network. Menu system is like most of the media players.

Pretty quite. Low hum. Wouldn't notice it once there's some other sound source.

Picture is excellent. Haven't tried it hooked up to a HD screen.

Advantage of the network connection is that you can add you're latest DivX without having to disconnect everything. Disadvantage is that it can be slow, so initially I dumped everything on to it using the USB 2.0 connector.

Thanks for the info.

The Freecom version is up on iBood today!
    http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/iboodSpecs.php
    seems to be good price at €199 for the 320GB

• Advertisement

Nabbed one. Thanks 5h4mr0(k.

Advertisement