Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car suggestions

Options
  • 16-03-2007 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Its about that time again for a new car, and im not too sure exactly what to get :confused:
    I have been stuck in indecision now for the last few weeks and i thought id put it up to you lot for a few ideas..

I drive a 00 Saab 9-3 at the moment and its a great car but im thinking of getting a car with a bit more pep.
    Plus every fourth car i see these days seems to be a 9-3.

Im looking for something sporty, somewhat unique, and good looking.
    Think very early midlife crisis on a budget of up to a max of €26K

I've made a decision to stay away from BMW's cause they're bloody everywhere.

Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

May be a mondeo but you will get those nods of respect from those of us who know what it really is and its still a family saloon if thats a concern

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=579911

Ultimate midlife crisis mobile

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=562009

Rare enough car here and apparently its a great little machine

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=634711

Like a wild woman, can be hard to live with but probably worth it in the end

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=103115

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Howdy,

What type of 93 do you drive? It's a curious thing about cars - It should almost be a law like Boyle's.

When you're interested in buying a car they seem quite rare, but as soon as you buy one they become visible around every corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Yup had a mondeo before the Saab :rolleyes:
    Not a bad car but i had to get a clutch change on it and it broke my heart trying to find a garage to do it, then my wallet when i finally did.
    So im not fords biggest fan at the moment, Although one of my friends is trying to convince me to go for a cougar.

I have to say i like the bike
    Not quite ready for that yet tho.. Give it a few years :D

I was actually looking at a Honda 2000 recently but the big problem i have with it is im about 6ft 5 and its not the biggest of cars.
    Im sure i could get away with it with the top down but when it rains the sight of me using an umbrella might take away from the sporty look a bit :)

Smcgiff: its the Low Pressure turbo 2000 154 bHP model.
    In fairness most of the 9-3's that i see around are the newer curvy 02 on models. but that almost makes it worse :rolleyes:

Wazdakka wrote:
    Smcgiff: its the Low Pressure turbo 2000 154 bHP model.

When you say low pressure - Did Saab do the same thing with your model as they did with the current 93SS. The 1.8t and the 2.0t have the EXACT same 2.0l engine except the 1.8t is programmed for less boost. :eek: Crazy Stuff!!!

Anyway, the point I make is that a 1.8t and a 2.0t Saab can be remapped up to the same 210 BHP speed from 150 and 175 respectively.

Admitedly I'm biased, but I still think a 2nd hand SAAB is excellent value for a sporty car.

• Advertisement

Wazdakka wrote:
    Im sure i could get away with it with the top down but when it rains the sight of me using an umbrella might take away from the sporty look a bit :)

Tsk - you could have warned us you were going to be difficult! ;)

smcgiff wrote:
    Admitedly I'm biased, but I still think a 2nd hand SAAB is excellent value for a sporty car.

I agree with you.
    Im probably going to stick with the SAAB and go for the 2.0L Full Pressure Turbo Highest bhp convertable i can get my hands on.

I was just looking for some other ideas..

Seriously thought about the RX-8..
    Then i found out about its *Ahem issues.
    It eats oil like there is no tomorrow and if you drive it for a short period,
    Lets say reparking it in a driveway...
    The engine has serious potential to flood itself with the need of Mazda technicians to come out and reset it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So, sporty and unusual then:

I'll throw in the usual Mazda RX-8. A decent '04 to be had for your budget

Or what about a '97 or '98 Porsche Boxster? You won't lose a lot of money if you sell it on in a few years time

A Nissan 350Z is abit out of range I'm afraid

I like the Mercedes SLK, but it might not be quite manly enough to ease the early mid-life crisis :D

Wazdakka wrote:
    I agree with you. I was just looking for some other ideas..

Just as well. Cause if you thought Muslims looked unkindly on converts to other religions - just wait until you leave the SAAB fraternity! ;)
    Wazdakka wrote:
    Im probably going to stick with the SAAB and go for the 2.0L Full Pressure Turbo Highest bhp convertable i can get my hands on.

Yip - The 2.0T Aero convertible is a beauty, and you should get a decent trade in price from a SAAB dealer. But, it'll still be pricey! :eek:
    And I'd still consider a remap after the warranty period is up.

BTW, had thought the RX-8 a cool car, especially for a 1.3l engine and heard they liked their oil, but hadn't heard of the other prob. :(

Ah you beat me to it yourself with the RX-8
    Wazdakka wrote:
    if you drive it for a short period,
    Lets say reparking it in a driveway...
    The engine has serious potential to flood itself

My car does the same thing. Solution: don't drive it for a very short period! ;)

• Advertisement

Hmmmm i like the solution :D

Yea the 1.3l is a nice allrounder, cheap to insure, cheap tax, and 231bHP..
    Pity about the flooding problem.
    Having said that i think i could deal with it :rolleyes:

I think that the 2.0T Aero or the RX8 are winning at the mo.
    Good thinking about the Remap smc.

keep the ideas coming ppl...

*Edit: http://www.loadzacars.ie/cars/used/search/details/936765 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

wot about this???

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=573712

i'm very biased here though as i drive one myself albeit it a petrol one. Absolutely love it though. I'll be getting a newer model in the summer and it'll be a hdi model. Before you discount a diesel model... just test drive it... its as quick as the petrol model and has amazing levels of torque

You said you wanted something rare... These are very rare... only 3 hdi models for sale in the country at the mo... might not be an issue but they do 45-50mpg, and there not too expensive to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

them 406 coupes look brilliant, been thinking about a HDi version myself.

I'd be looking at more of the 15k price range though, get one in the UK.

@lassykk: would you recommend the HDi for low milaege use? Is it a smooth drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I agree, the 406 coupe is one of the nicest looking cars of the last decade. Bear in mind that underneath the beautiful skin, it is just an ordinary car though. No match for any of the sporty numbers mentioned above...

Cheers lassykk,

Wouldnt have even concidered a Pug but that does look good.

Diesel?.......... erm well.....

Ah, i have faith tho, if i get a chance ill bring one for a spin and see how they handle.

*Edit: although this would mean a serious backlash from the SAAB fraternity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

it depends on what your low mileage consists of. I currently drive a 2.0L 98 model coupe. I drive 12 miles a day for work which is completely in traffic and then whatever i do in the evening. I average between 27 - 30 mpg which is fine for a 2.0L petrol sitting in traffic.

the 2.2 hdi will do 40mpg(ish) sitting in traffic for the same period. I can't speak directly for the 2.2hdi in the coupe but a friend of mine a 2.2hdi citroen c5 (exact same engine) and i can say in all honesty i've never driven a more refined diesel in my life. Exceptionally smooth and great low down power.

At the mo there's the 3 hdi models on carzone with the cheapest selling at 15,950 i believe. The irish autotrader has a black hdi 2003 coupe with red leather for £7750 which if i remember rightly worked out at around €18500 after VRT. In the english autotrader the cheapest one is a not so clean damaged repaired 2002 hdi coupe in blue for £4400 which would only work out at €11000 brought home and cleared but it didn't inspire confidence in me that it was damaged repaired and also wasn't even cleaned for the photo on autotrader. There are a number for sale around £6500 which would be a 2002 model some with leather, others with half-leather. This would be €10000 for the car and clearance for a 2002 hdi with leather (the SE model) is around €4000 so your estimate of €15,000 is about right after you go over and the ferry, etc.

My recommendation would be to take one out for a spin. Given their rarity in Ireland and given my lack of knowledge on your location if there's not a diesel coupe near you take a petrol one out for a spin and take a 2.2 hdi C5 or peugeot 607 out to check out the engine. The 2.0 hdi is a much different engine so be sure to test drive a 2.2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

/drools over S2000

Love those 406 coupes too, think my next car may well be a 4-or-so year old HDi one :)

Just one thing about the RX8, despite it being a 1.3 the tax man is wise to the power and will make you pay 1.8 tax rates!

Stephen wrote:
    Love those 406 coupes too, think my next car may well be a 4-or-so year old HDi one :)

Some nice natural progression from the Hyundai coupe to the 406 coupe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

You want something sporty, unique and good looking ? How about
    http://www.loadzacars.ie/cars/used/search/details/506043

So it's a replica and is LHD but certainly fits the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

unkel wrote:
    Some nice natural progression from the Hyundai coupe to the 406 coupe!

Yup, more grunt please ;)

I can't see myself buying your regular 4 door saloon until I'm tied down which there's no sign of yet!

zing wrote:
    You want something sporty, unique and good looking ? How about
    http://www.loadzacars.ie/cars/used/search/details/506043

So it's a replica and is LHD but certainly fits the bill

Now were talking :D

"Hello mr insurance company iwould like to insure my new car for a reasonable price please"
    "No problem, What make is it?"
    At this point i figure my options are run out the door, or get smacked in the face with a wet fish

:p

Advertisement