Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

power city ads

• 16-03-2007 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭

whats the story with the power city ads in the newspapers?

they used to have big pictures of the gear with the prices in big print.

now they just have a long list of model numbers, with no prices. Whats the point? I don't even look at them any more - its hardly great marketing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I haven't seen them... but I really miss those cool TV ads they do...

(Guy pointing at electrical appliance) "DIS... microwave oven... only FOWER NOINETY NOINE"
    brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I used to work with that guy - he was a feckin' IT consultant, just did the ads in his spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

loyatemu wrote:
    I used to work with that guy - he was a feckin' IT consultant, just did the ads in his spare time.
    Bah, I'm so disillusioned now... I used to love going to PowerCity and imagining the staff doing the pointy thing :(
    Like something they all had to learn how to do on their first day or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I haven't seen them... but I really miss those cool TV ads they do...

(Guy pointing at electrical appliance) "DIS... microwave oven... only FOWER NOINETY NOINE"
    brilliant

''Power Ci'y open till Mid noih''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭binman

When I worked there people thought I was that guy from the ads! :o Like they wanted an autograph or something they were dissappointed when I said it aint me!
    God I worked there for ages, almost never escaped...repressed memories flooding back...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

People in work were talking about that recently. Its pretty cryptic advertising although we're talking about it I guess :D
    loyatemu wrote:
    whats the story with the power city ads in the newspapers?

they used to have big pictures of the gear with the prices in big print.

now they just have a long list of model numbers, with no prices. Whats the point? I don't even look at them any more - its hardly great marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

they were the fore runner to harvey norman

"THIS MADNESS MUST END.....SOON"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

their website is one of the best in Ireland
    http://www.powercity.ie/
    cost FOWER NOINETY NOINE to make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The best ones were when that Barry from Fair City chap used to do them and be acting the tough guy. What a joke! :) I'm not taking that eejit seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

gucci wrote:
    they were the fore runner to harvey norman

"THIS MADNESS MUST END.....SOON"
    I'd love to meet the guy who does the voice overs on the HN ads and introduce him to the business end of a crowbar. His voice does my head right in.
    On the subject of PowerCity, I never even noticed an ad change heh, never had any problems with the staff there tho, always courteous and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Man I hate power city, I bought an mp3 player there last christmas. I paid for it at the till and I had to wait 20 minutes for the dickhead to find it in the stockroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Nephew wrote:
    Man I hate power city, I bought an mp3 player there last christmas. I paid for it at the till and I had to wait 20 minutes for the dickhead to find it in the stockroom.
    see thats what you get with technology....there making everything so compact these days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

loyatemu wrote:

Are we taking about the guy that rattles off the prices really fast? Fair hair?

Name Jonathan (AKA Johnoff to some)?

If we're taking about the same guy, he was/is a mates brothers friend. Worked part time in Power City donkeys years ago for only a year or so. Happened to be the staff member picked by the producers when they first started doing the telly ads. Must have been his ability to deliver prices rapid fire while still remaining intelligable. Anyway, he wasn't in Powercity that long and went on to much bigger and better things but they always got him back to don the uniform and do the latest ad for years. Nice little side earner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

tallus wrote:
    I'd love to meet the guy who does the voice overs on the HN ads and introduce him to the business end of a crowbar. His voice does my head right in.
    On the subject of PowerCity, I never even noticed an ad change heh, never had any problems with the staff there tho, always courteous and helpful.
    He's never been in Ireland afaik. His voiceovers are sent over from Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

kbannon wrote:
    their website is one of the best in Ireland
    http://www.powercity.ie/
    cost FOWER NOINETY NOINE to make!

I think that site was designed and made by primary school kids in some sort of competition, and they used the runner up entry...
    If you think their newspaper ads lack detail, try the site, where you're browsing 2 grand tellies with a 100*100 thumbnail and a two line description.
    A box shifting company like that and you can't even make a rudimentary online purchase on the site....you can order by email and have them deal with you from a call centre :rolleyes: Great way to keep costs down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

binman wrote:
    When I worked there people thought I was that guy from the ads! :o Like they wanted an autograph or something they were dissappointed when I said it aint me!
    God I worked there for ages, almost never escaped...repressed memories flooding back...
    Which one did you work in?

I worked in Coolock from '99 to '04.

Great social life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yeah I forgot all about power city as well. I remember the fair haired guy, but there was a blond girl too, with a strong Dublin accent iirc. They don't still do TV ads, do they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement