Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer job

• 16-03-2007 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Anybody recommend the best places in letterkenny to look for a Summer job, I'm 17? and doing my leaving this year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

What kind of job do you have in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

you are limited straight away by age, I know the company i work for, petrol stations, will not hire anyone under 18 due to the alcohol sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

well Im not adverse to working anywhere except maybe at a freezing petrol stations, well in the shop yeah maybe but not on the pumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

We usually take on one or two for the summer. Will ask on Tuesday, no quarantees! Office work OK? What are your expectations for the Leaving?

Depends what sort of office I'll be working in but it should be fine. I do every subject at higher level and I'll be aiming for 450-500 points which I should get

• Advertisement

Ok. I'll see on Tuesday. Will PM you then.

Thanks

PM sent.

Cheers man, I'll have a think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

~_~ Bleh.. I went and sent CV's to all the shops i could think of.. office work would be preferable, but i just figured it's impossible to get.. >_>;

Argos, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes, Gamestop, Music Centre, Homebase, rockysound, super value and costcutters..

But yeah.. ~_~ kinda doubtful I'll get anything.. I'm a 19year old student looking for a summer job.. any other recommendations from anyone? I dont really want to do hotel work because of the hours.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Theres always hotel work.The Clanree is ALWAYS looking for people (because as with every hotel there is a very large staff turnover), so you could always try there.I know a few people and apparently the pay and hours aren't great, but if you're lucky enough to get working in the bar then the tips are great (a guy I know made €50+ in tips in one night, although in fairness there was some big event going on).

Oh and Glazun come back to the IB.We miss you!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

hm.. hotel jobs.. I suppose I should get one. I kinda dont want to work in a hotel, but meh, i cant afford to be picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

What skills do you have? If you want to work in an office, and you know MS Office emphasis that and any business related skills you have (accounting and so on).

If your planning on going to college, you could also think of a summer job as an aid to getting work for when U leave college.

Don't limit yourself to the shops and hotels, try all the various businesses, you'll be surprised where you might get a job (and like working). Working in an hotel or shop and having to be nice to the public can be a real pain! :eek:

And what would U really like to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dun na nGal

"well Im not adverse to working anywhere except maybe at a freezing petrol stations, well in the shop yeah maybe but not on the pumps."

"Depends what sort of office I'll be working in but it should be fine.I do every subject at higher level and I'll be aiming for 450-500 points which I should get"

Don't mean to rain on your parade here but I hope you get the 500 points, I'm tryin to hold back but to heck with it, here it is..... Who's gonna feed, clothe and generally bank role you all summer if you can't find a job that suits? Sounds like a bit of hard work will send you runnin for the hills.I really don't want to sound too harsh and I hope you get sorted.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My sentiments too ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Try the pubs, they'll usually hire underage people as glass washers or cleaners, or the restaurants hire alot of kitchen staff.

"well Im not adverse to working anywhere except maybe at a freezing petrol stations, well in the shop yeah maybe but not on the pumps."

"Depends what sort of office I'll be working in but it should be fine.I do every subject at higher level and I'll be aiming for 450-500 points which I should get"

Don't mean to rain on your parade here but I hope you get the 500 points, I'm tryin to hold back but to heck with it, here it is..... Who's gonna feed, clothe and generally bank role you all summer if you can't find a job that suits? Sounds like a bit of hard work will send you runnin for the hills.I really don't want to sound too harsh and I hope you get sorted.:D
    ah found this thread again.

What I meant was mate that I would prefer not to work on pumps and that I mightn't be too useful if it was like skilled office work b/c well obviously I have no experience of it and have had no time to gte any certified qualification in office/sage/big red book etc. even though I know how they basically work

o and bump, any more ideas?

its june

bit late now.

nanook wrote:
    its june

bit late now.

lol yeah I know, I haven't had much time with the leaving cert and everything that goes on with that. I left CV's into some places a weeks ago but I was just wondering if anyone had heard of anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

I heard about a 16 year old that got their first summer job on a trial basis.
    Looks for money after 3 shifts and was told the first two were on a no pay basis.
    Is this exploitation commonplace?

• Advertisement

i have heard of a trail run before but the long and short of it is if you work an hour you should get paid

End of story

Advertisement