Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Cost of Startrek boxsets

• 16-03-2007 1:10pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given that there's no current new Startrek seasons airing, why are the box sets so expensive,

For example Startrek Enterprise Season were selling for 100e a year ago and are still now going for 55e on play.com

Anyone know of any cheaper places then play.com?

Comments

Play is pretty much the cheapest around at the moment. But may I draw your attention to the slimline DVD box sets, TNG has been released, and DS9 is out in April this year.

Season 1 to 7 of The Next Generation is priced at €27.99 each.
    Season 1 to 7 of Deep Space Nine is priced at €43.49 each.

Those are very much so cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

Season 1 to 7 of The Next Generation is priced at €27.99 each.

where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

"Play" - not immediately obvious if you'd never heard of it: www.play.com

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

ah cool, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

DS9 is being released in this format ??!!

that means maybe TOS original series will be too ??
    anyone know of a cerca release month ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jesus smith

managed to pick up season 2 of tos in the georges street arcade for 30 quid, ther guy saidthere might be more coming in but he didnt know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Cabaal wrote:
    Given that there's no current new Startrek seasons airing, why are the box sets so expensive,

For example Startrek Enterprise Season were selling for 100e a year ago and are still now going for 55e on play.com

Anyone know of any cheaper places then play.com?

I don't know of any cheaper places but my guess as to why they are so dear is they probably realise that there are very few 'casual' star trek fans.

So given that most are hardcore, they know they can charge a truckload and the people will still want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Keep an eye on Bargain Alerts, I posted about a few different Star Trek boxes sometime ago. The prices don't last long though. Sometimes misprices but I've heard of people getting away with them. :)

There are rumours circulating that TOS and Voyager are to follow soon in this format... ofcourse it is only rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

gamestop ( Henry Street) have second hand seasons of DS9 going for €35 , i picked up season 2 on saturday. they also had season 3, 4, 5 & 6 but i already had them. You can also buy DS9 from amazon.com at a cost of €45 including postage. It would be better to wait for the new slimline dvds, i reckon.

• Advertisement

New fan collective DVD on its way Captain's Log.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

Does anyone know where to get the Enterprise boxsets in Dublin? I went in to HMV on Henry St. and asked about them and the woman said that they never actually stocked them, I've tried all the usual spots (Golden Disc, Tower Records etc) and nothing, any ideas? I know play has them but I'm trying to find a store that has them rather then go online to buy.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

managed to pick up season 2 of tos in the georges street arcade for 30 quid, ther guy saidthere might be more coming in but he didnt know
    excellent, thanks for the tip!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Does anyone know where to get the Enterprise boxsets in Dublin? I went in to HMV on Henry St. and asked about them and the woman said that they never actually stocked them, I've tried all the usual spots (Golden Disc, Tower Records etc) and nothing, any ideas? I know play has them but I'm trying to find a store that has them rather then go online to buy.

Any ideas?

I'm sure HMV on Grafton Street must have them? If not ask them & they'll order them in for you. Although really, you're going to get screwed if you buy them in a shop in Dublin, in general they are significantly more expensive. Single Stagate DVDs for €38, you must be joking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I want cheap Trek now. It is silly that they release things at a drip instead of a flood. Just trying to flog the expensive ones. Thats capitalism for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Golden Discs on Henry Street are selling DS9 slimline boxsets for €36.95 which is great value in my opinon. i've never seen a good price like that for a brand new boxset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

thats a good job alright i knew they would have them cheap when they came out but that is nice and cheap. Im guessing there not going for proffit on this one just cover there costs and spead there name around, i mean if you posted this word has already reached allot of people that Golden discs is now cheaper than websites for some things.

Fans of Voyager can look forward to a release of slimline DVD packs of the series - available from September 10th - but nothing confirmed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Cheers for the tip-I had been looking out for all of them at a good price for ages, so I picked them up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

Fans of Voyager can look forward to a release of slimline DVD packs of the series - available from September 10th - but nothing confirmed yet.
    Do you have any kind of source?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Well they're listed as available from 10th September on www.play.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just when we might have thought things were getting better with the slim-line packs.. here comes the remastered first series of ST:TOS for...

$217.99!!

:eek:

I don't care how new-fangled and shiny those discs are, that's an insane price for a single series of a 40+ year old TV show.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/07/26/details-on-tos-r-hd-dvds/

Advertisement