Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista/graphics problem

• 16-03-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello,
    I installed vista on my sys approx three weeks ago. my sys has a 1.3G proc, 1G ram, 64MB radeon 9200 AGP8x graphics card and a 80G Hdd. The sys was running fine with only a few extra apps installed e.g. office2007. I decided to upgrade my graphics and bought a 253MB radeon 9600 AGP8x card from komplett. i installed the card and booted to XP (sys dual boots). The card was picked up and installed the drivers from the cd fine. sys rebooted to XP fine. I then booted to vista which picked up the new card and installed default drivers from vista and told me to re-boot. I did this and then all i got was a black screen with coloured lines (7-8). VERY annoying. I booted to safe mode fine with a display and installed the vista drivers from the cd. rebooted and same again. I booted to safe mode again uninstalled the drivers and rebooted in a vain hope the sys would pick up the card again and this time i would install the ATI vista drivers from the cd instead of the default vista drivers. no such luck,i got a blank screen after the vista splash screen. I then tried to instasll vista again with the new card installed (hoped it would pick it up during the install). sys bluescreened with various messages on each attempt. Finally i installed my ols radeon 9200 card and vista installed perfectly. What can i do? The card ismt faulty as it works fine with XP and on a Win2K sys also. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

If the card works fine on XP its most likey that the drivers for it are outdated. Download the new(est) ones and try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

There are no Vista drivers shipped on ATI's CD (at least for such an older part) you are where probably installing the XP drivers hence all the problems.

The correct driver can be found at this location.

Boot into safe mode in Vista and uninstall anything you previously installed to do with the ATI display driver and then right click on the graphics card in the device manager and select uninstall device it may also give the option to cleanly remove the driver.

Now boot back into normal Vista and hopefully it should use the stock driver with the card, now install ATI Vista display driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sylver72

I have already uninstalled the drivers in safe mode and uninstalled the card. I then downloaded the latest (21/02/07) drivers from the ATI website(on another sys) and tried them. same issue occurs. My sys works fine with the olde radeon 9200 card but wont work with the NEW 9600 card. The card was only purchased one week ago and on the website it was classed as "vista compatible"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

sylver72 wrote:
    I have already uninstalled the drivers in safe mode and uninstalled the card. I then downloaded the latest (21/02/07) drivers from the ATI website(on another sys) and tried them. same issue occurs. My sys works fine with the olde radeon 9200 card but wont work with the NEW 9600 card. The card was only purchased one week ago and on the website it was classed as "vista compatible"

try this
    http://www.tweakxp.com/article37536.aspx

A little long
    it is for xp but should work for vista it removes all registry keys and drivers
    so you can start a refresh.
    (I then downloaded the latest (21/02/07))
    The driver you have download works fine with vista even with direct x 10 I know because I am using it now
    playing half life 2 and vista aero working fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You may have to remove the driver cleanly for the Radeon 9200 as well through the device manager in safe mode & that can only be done with the card in the system so give that a go as well.

There is also driver cleaner which is worth using under Vista but the program is now payware (9 bucks) and the old free version does not work with Vista.

• Advertisement
Advertisement