Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art / crafts courses/ events you would recommend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Does anyone know of any great craft-supplies Fairs in Dublin or the North??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

This has been posted in the manga/anime forum and the comics forum but not everyone reads those forums and it is an event open to all artists and we've had some great fine artists take part over the years via posting on the Visual Artists Ireland.

The 5th Annual Irish 24 hour comics day will take place on 9th/10th of October at the Central Hotel Dublin. submissions are open now for the anthology.

24_2010_lowres.jpg

Last years anthology ended up being 50 pages and featuring some great local talent as well as artists from Japan, Spain, Australia and the UK. Submission information can be found here. Contributors retain all rights to their work and get a copy of the anthology [we will post books to those not attending the 24 hour comics day event on the 9th/10th of October]

As the focus of the Irish 24 hour comics event has always been just getting people drawing and creating we really want to encourage new artists to submit. We're posting the submission information up early to give people time to email with questions or ask for feedback before submitting finished pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Can anyone recommend me some good place I can get drawing/painting lessons in Dublin.
    I've been very interested in comics and animation lately but I'm not very good at drawing people. I learnt to get good at drawing people the first place to start from is to learn figure drawing. So anyone got a good place I could go?

Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any great craft-supplies Fairs in Dublin or the North??

Not til Halloween - there's one every year in the RDS on the last weekend of October.

Similar show (but different organisers) takes place in King's Hall Belfast every April and they had one in mid-November last year for the first time. I believe that's being repeated this year but will probably be a smaller show than the Dublin one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Posted in Art and Architecture - may be of interest in here too!

Demonstration Weekend 2010

You are invited to visit the National Print Museum to witness a traditional that has virtually disappeared. This July the Museum will host an exciting Demonstration Weekend. Practical demonstrations of the Intertype, Linotype, Monotype, Shaw Pen Ruling Machine and many other machines will be given by active retired typesetters and printers.

Expert advice will be on hand to answer any questions and visitors may be able to try their hand at some printing. The Museum will be brought to life on these unique days and visitors will get a rare glimpse of what a printing house was like 100 years ago.

Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th July 2010

12.00pm - 5.00pm

FREE ADMISSION

National Print Museum, Beggars Bush Barracks, Haddington Rd, Dublin 4
    Tel: 01 6603770 Email: printmuseumedu@iol.ie
    Web: www.nationalprintmuseum.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pappi

Starting the 31st July - 2 to 5pm - 12 week program

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Hi all just want to post this in case anyone in boyle, Co Roscommon during 21-31 july. Every year they run a smashing Arts week.

There are three exhibitions on this year, King house will feature established Irish artists, there is a local exhibition in the church of Ireland school and also A group show by the Castleboyle artists in Feelystone (I am a member of this group) Most of the shopfronts in the town display art.

The festival also includes poetry, music, film, drama, storytelling and much more see the links below.

Its a real credit to the organisers to run such a smashing festival for the past 21 years.

http://castleboyleartists.blogspot.com/
    http://www.boylearts.com/2010/programme10/

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TanD

Hey guys

Does anybody know of any beginner painting classes starting this year some time preferably in the Wicklow/Dublin area?

Thanks and regards

TanD

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eillen_ogrady

Hi
    Just a quick line to let everyone know that there are new sewing classes starting in Patrick Street (over Christchurch way) in September they are enroling in August.
    The tutor has 40 years sewing experience.
    The classes start from beginners at 160 euros for a 6 week course .The duration of each class is 2 hours long.
    The classes are for begginers ,intermediate and advanced students with seperate classes catering to the different needs of the individual student .
    The students will be taught on brand new machines .
    Everthing is provided for the Beginners Classes; treads, needles ,fabrics, zips, sissors,etc.
    The courses will move at the students own pace so no worries even if you have never sat behind a machine before .
    If more experienced students want to bring their own machines that is ok
    and againn they can move forward quickly and not be worried at been held back by the novice sewer.
    I hope this is helpful to you and i hope to see you there
    Eillen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cardartkilcoole

Creative Card Making Workshop
    Saturday the 14th of August
    In Shoreline Leisure Centre in Greystones,
    Please email HERE for directions
    I still have a few places available.
    Theme this month is Special Birthday's
    This Workshop will suit beginners as well as advanced crafters as I work in two sections, giving the beginners more hands on help in section 1, and allowing the more advanced crafter to chat while they craft in section 2.
    We will make 4 cards and this month I'm keeping it beautiful but simple, very pretty styles with lace and lots of punched detail, flowers and glitz.
    What you need to bring
    Craft mat, 2 x Scissors, Paper trimmer, Glue, Foam pads, Foam tape, Double sided tape, craft knife, anything else needed I will supply.

Lunch 1.00 to 2.00 there's a lovely coffee shop down stairs or you can bring a packed lunch, tea/coffee and biscuits supplied all day.

Please email HERE to book a place, This is an adult only workshop and everyone is very welcome
    looking forward to seeing you all
    Many thanks Yvonne Tune Kilcoole Craft Club
    http://cardartblogkilcoole.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Evening craft classes will be starting up again in Letterkenny in September.
    Topics include making cards, jewellery, candles, soap and bath bombs.
    Full details and booking form here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nosey99

3 days of shopping, free demos and classes in Cardmaking, Scrapbooking, Felting, Digital Photography, Craft Blogging, Jewellery Making, Fimo and much more. Dedicated crop spaces, pop up shops and great show offers.
    Entrance and demos are totally free.
    Venue: Athlone Springs Hotel
    Dates: 24, 25 & 26 September 2010
    More details at http://greatbigcraftextravaganza.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nosey99

Athlone, 24, 25 & 26 September - 3 days of free demos, shopping and lots of classes. Felting, jewellery making, cardmaking, scrapbooking, digital photography, Craft Blogging and more. Classes start from 18 euro. If you didnt make it last year, don't miss out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hector's House

Hi
    Just a quick line to let everyone know that there are new sewing classes starting in Patrick Street (over Christchurch way) in September they are enroling in August.
    The tutor has 40 years sewing experience.
    The classes start from beginners at 160 euros for a 6 week course .The duration of each class is 2 hours long.
    The classes are for begginers ,intermediate and advanced students with seperate classes catering to the different needs of the individual student .
    The students will be taught on brand new machines .
    Everthing is provided for the Beginners Classes; treads, needles ,fabrics, zips, sissors,etc.
    The courses will move at the students own pace so no worries even if you have never sat behind a machine before .
    If more experienced students want to bring their own machines that is ok
    and againn they can move forward quickly and not be worried at been held back by the novice sewer.
    I hope this is helpful to you and i hope to see you there
    Eillen

Hi Eileen, have you any contact details for that? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would know of a face painting tution course/class in or around Dublin please?

I'll tell you why I would like to do one, I am studying Hair/Beauty & Makeup and I love fantasy makeup but I am not so great at art! So I thought if I tried facepainting I could use it to help me with the makeup.

It's suprisingly hard to find one!

I know LA Makeup Academy have one, but it's way way out of my price range.

Thanks a mill :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 MuseumEducation

Join the family fun at the National Print Museum! Celebrate National Heritage Week with a visit to the Museum for an interactive entertainment experience, from practical demonstrations to crafty creations. Discover the world of traditional printing at the many activity stations throughout the Museum where you can make a printers hat, try your hand at some printing and learn about the old machines in the collection through practical demonstrations. Attend a workshop session with Illustrator Adrienne Geoghegan, have your face-painted and visit the Gutenberg Café for some refreshments.

There’s something for everyone on Family Sunday!

12pm – 5pm
    Sunday 22nd August 2010
    Free Admission
    National Print Museum
    Beggars Bush Barracks
    Haddington Rd
    Dublin 4
    Tel: 003531 6603770
    Email: printmuseumedu@iol.ie

Print Fest 2010
    You are invited to visit the National Print Museum to witness a traditional that has virtually disappeared. Printers from around the country will demonstration different aspects of the hot metal era. Type will be set by hand alongside practical demonstrations of the Linotype and Monotype and many other machines in the collection.

This is a unique occasion to see how newspapers, books and all kinds of literature were designed and printed before the computer revolution. Expert advice will be on hand to answer any questions and people will be able to do some printing for themselves. The Museum will be brought to life on this unique afternoon and visitors will get a rare glimpse of what a printing house was like 100 years ago. It will be a very enjoyable day for anyone interested in printing, bookbinding, design, newspapers, books etc. It will also be a chance for printers who now work with computers to relive their old printing days.
    2pm - 6pm, Saturday 11th September 2010
    Free admission
    National Print Museum, Beggars Bush Barracks, Haddington Rd, Dublin 4
    Tel: 01 6603770 Email: printmuseumedu@iol.ie Web: www.nationalprintmuseum.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sassy

There are still places available for knitting and crochet classes commencing at Loza Wool Clondalkin on Saturday 4th and Thursday 8th September. Details at www.lozawool.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 timikonya

Have you got any plans for Saturday, 11th September??
    We are organising the first Crafty Alley Crop in Dublin on the 11th September.If you live around and would love to spend some time with crafty friends, shop and create someting beautiful email me ( timikonya[at]yahoo.com) and I put you on the list.

Date and Time: 11th Spetember 2010, 13.00-17.00 (18.00)
    Venue: All Hallows College, Grace Park Road, Drumcondra, Dublin
    Theme: Library card mini album and a quick card challenge :D
    Price: €30

Please confirm your participation, so I can get the Kits.

Note: there is free parking in the college, if you need help how to get there just send me a message.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Timixx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Its about time we had a few more craft shops. If I had the money I'd start one up myself! Lol! Is your crop only for scrapbooking or are you covering cardmaking as well?

• Advertisement

Hi Jellybaby1, I like to do scrapbooks as well as cards or altered art. The crop theme will be made upon participant's interest and at the first one will do a mini album and a card.

I'm not really into scrapbooking, just cards. Have something else on on the 11th unfortunately but if I can make it for a quick visit I will. Will you have a shop there - can anyone just drop in or is it just for participants?

Cathy, owner of Crafty Alley Shop (Killarney)will bring the shop. Sure you can pop in anytime just to shop or you can come along and bring your own stuff, finish up some projects.
    Timi

Will be there if time allows. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rossa10

Hi all,

Do anyone know of a good sewing course around Dublin 15? Would love if you can help me.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Irish 24 hour comics day is tomorrow starting at noon at the Central Hotel in Dublin [across from sub city] Bring your paper and pens and have a go at drawing a 24 page comic in 24 hours in a relaxed if slightly sugar fueled enviorment. The anthology will be on sale for all of 1 euro and we will be hooking up with the Belfast 24 hour event via web cam.

Folks are welcome to come and go at any point over the 24 hours, while we'd like as many folks as can to attempt the full 24 hours we understand not everyone is able to so feel free to come and draw for as long or as little as you'd like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ThreadBear

Hi!
    We're starting back after our summer break.
    Knitters and other stitchers are all welcome to come along on a drop-in basis to the Malahide Library from 7-8.15pm every Monday, except Holidays/bank Holidays. Free and open first-learners to beginners to advanced, any age!

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Library/LibraryBranches/MalahideLibrary/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

this might be a dbl post if so I apologise...

The knit & Stitch Show is coming up in the RDS at the end of the month. 28-31 Oct

http://www.twistedthread.com/ for more details.

An introduction to Japan and the Ancient Art of Woodblock Printmaking
    By Debra Bowden

This is an illustrated talk and practical printing demonstration introducing Japanese woodblock printing as an art form, which was introduced into Japan, along with papermaking, in the 8th century by Buddhist missionaries. There will be a brief history on Japanese woodblock printing in the ukiyo-e tradition with illustrations and hand-outs and an opportunity to print from a carved woodblock.

As a trained printmaker Debra Bowden has, in recent years, focused on the art of Japanese woodblock printmaking. Her current work focuses on the delicately fluid, seasonal cycle of growth that is intrinsic to classic Japanese art and her influences are a combination of her own and Japanese gardens. Debra uses traditional tools and materials to produce wall mounted prints on Japanese papers.

Thursday 21st October 2010 7.30pm

Admission: Free
    All Welcome

National Print Museum
    Beggars Bush Barracks
    Haddington Rd
    Dublin 4
    Tel: 01 6603770
    Email: printmuseumedu@iol.ie
    Newsletter: http://www.nationalprintmuseum.ie/enewsletter/events2010/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Pyro7046

Christmas food art and crafts fair in St. Laurences Community Complex Narraghmore Co. Kildare on Saturday 13th and Sunday the 14th of November
    In aid of KARE and St. Laurences
    Stand 30 only euro
    To book a stand pm and i'll get back to you with more details.

Advertisement