Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year Zero - NIN

• 16-03-2007 2:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given that the last thread was locked due to talk of their Dublin gig (which is now no more) I thought I'd start a new thread on the upcoming album.

For those of you who don't know anything about Year Zero, check out the official page (with full track listing, a trailer, album artwork, studio pictures etc.), the ninwiki (with a pretty in depth explanation of the whole marketing campaign behind the new album) and their myspace page (which currently has 4 of the new album's tracks).

So what do you make of the album so far and of the plot line behind it? I'm happy to see a structured album on the way after With Teeth (which had its moments but was too much like a random assortment of B-Sides for me), although I'm not sure if the whole "The Presence" thing will ruin an otherwise interesting take on an Orwellian future.

The campaign so far has been superb - really like the way they're doing it and it's really interesting to see it all develop. I'm especially impressed by the availability of some of the tracks well before release and the availability of a Garageband multitrack session for people to remix (although he's done this before).

The songs themselves are pretty solid too - In This Twilight is my favourite, Me, I'm Not and Violent Heart are both pretty good too (although I don't like the beginning of Violent Heart. Not really into Survivalism, just isn't a great track IMO... it's not bad, but the worst of what I've heard so far. The Beginning of The End is pretty good too.

I'm kind of reserving judgement until I hear every track in the order it's supposed to be in but so far so good.

I hope the album isn't overwhelmed by the concept and that songs can be heard independently of each other, but so far that hasn't been a worry. As I said, WT had its moments but was a little bit soulless for me - hopefully this won't be the case with year zero (and I think he's hinted at this being the first part of an overall story, so there could be a follow up !)

(just to avoid this getting locked please don't mention any gigs NIN might be playing in conjunction with that very litigious concert promoter we all know about)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

I am really excited about it. The marketing campaign has really gotten me interested in the album so much so that I am checking Wiki everyday for any new info. The songs that have come out I really like. Survivalism grew on me and I think that the video for it is really really good.
    Me, I'm Not is simply class, I just love it. One of the best songs I've heard in a while. ehhhh that is all.
    Talk about a movie sounds interesting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

The songs so far are so-so to me, except for In This Twilight, but i'm sure thats something that'll grow on me, as for the trailer, I think it's completely awesome, i watched it over and over again, but I'm not as optimistic about the album since the leaks, but the concept behind the album is absolutly amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I was over at one of their London shows and was really happy with their new stuff. I don't really give a damn about the marketing or concepts though tbh.

Advertisement