Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Ripoff On Paddy's Day - Free Txts My Ar$e

• 16-03-2007 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I am so glad I found this thread cause I'm fuming about the "free texts" that vodafone are pan handling this St. Paddys weekend.

It is another case of classic RIP OFF IRELAND. My mate works in vodafone and I asked him about the promotion and he said that my point came up in the marketing meeting as a plus for vodafone and here it is.....

WHEN ONE SENDS A TXT, IT COULD BE TO ANY NETWORK?????

How can you know?? Maybe that ring beep that they used to have or something but in general it's a scam

In the ads that say FREE TXTs, (but only voda to voda) How the hell can anybody know who's on what??

Ok..... meteor have the free meteor to meteor txts. fine but you can generally trust that at least a 085 is a meteor. BUT VODAFONE HAVE THE HIGHEST MIGRATION OF NUMBERS. so you can guarantee that half of your 087's are NOT vodafone.

And Vodafone reckon that this confusion will pay for the promotion!!!

So dont go and txt all the numbers in you phonebook a Happy St. Patricks Day, dont even TXT all the 087's in your phone book a Happy St. Patricks day, In fact just forget the promotion and txt as normal.

Unfortunately most will txt away, and vodafone will once again have successfully RIPPED OFF IRELAND.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

why would people be sending these "Happy Paddys day" Texts in the firsst place? It's almost as absurd as St Patricks day cards! wtf!?

I personally don't believe anything is gotten from generic texts Happy [insert holiday here] to everyone in the phone book. Waste of money.

Regards,
    Scrooge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Ah would you stop moaning, you'd swear they had dumped radioactive waste on your house, like any promotion, terms and conditions apply. IF you don't know what network your friends are with its not their fault. Remember it was the government who brought in FMNP not vodafone,o2,meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

RobbieM wrote:

I am so glad I found this thread cause I'm fuming about the "free texts" that vodafone are pan handling this St. Paddys weekend.

It is another case of classic RIP OFF IRELAND. My mate works in vodafone and I asked him about the promotion and he said that my point came up in the marketing meeting as a plus for vodafone and here it is.....

WHEN ONE SENDS A TXT, IT COULD BE TO ANY NETWORK?????

How can you know?? Maybe that ring beep that they used to have or something but in general it's a scam

In the ads that say FREE TXTs, (but only voda to voda) How the hell can anybody know who's on what??

Ok..... meteor have the free meteor to meteor txts. fine but you can generally trust that at least a 085 is a meteor. BUT VODAFONE HAVE THE HIGHEST MIGRATION OF NUMBERS. so you can guarantee that half of your 087's are NOT vodafone.

And Vodafone reckon that this confusion will pay for the promotion!!!

So dont go and txt all the numbers in you phonebook a Happy St. Patricks Day, dont even TXT all the 087's in your phone book a Happy St. Patricks day, In fact just forget the promotion and txt as normal.

Unfortunately most will txt away, and vodafone will once again have successfully RIPPED OFF IRELAND.

meteor have a free number you can text the number your texting to, to see what network that person is on.. I'm sure you'll get it on the website don't know it off hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

#Elites wrote:
    and? what the hell is your point? you want vodafone to change the prefix of the number so you know who your texting?

and what, 10c ? its hardly breaking the bank is it.
    13c. and if someone thinks they're free they might send 500 that day just for the fun of it and cost him/herself €65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you send 500 texts a day just for fun, then you're an idiot with no life (not directed at Commander Vimes, just my comment in general!)

Just use text buddy on your PC (if you have a vodafone site login), and you can send texts free every day.

• Advertisement

TmB wrote:
    If you send 500 texts a day just for fun, then you're an idiot with no life (not directed at Commander Vimes, just my comment in general!)

Just use text buddy on your PC (if you have a vodafone site login), and you can send texts free every day.
    i'm not talking about sending 500 a day, just for one day. even 100 would cost €13. and that times 500,000 customers is a lot of money for vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I fully agree with commander vimes on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

here's an idea. anyone who has free web texts on the voda site, login now and set-up to send "Happy St.Patrick's Day" to all your contacts for 2moro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

well their not gonna give a promotion if its not gonna benifit them in some way. And you can hardly call this a rip-off, 40% of irish people are on vodafone, so if you send texts as normal, you'll save 40%. be grateful!

maxitwist wrote:
    well their not gonna give a promotion if its not gonna benifit them in some way. And you can hardly call this a rip-off, 40% of irish people are on vodafone, so if you send texts as normal, you'll save 40%. be grateful!
    i don't know anyone on vodafone because all my friends like having money so they're on meteor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

i don't know anyone on vodafone because all my friends like having money so they're on meteor

At the higher end of the market, Vodafone's packages are very good value for money, and often significantly cheaper than the likes of Meteor, especially if you're using them for business.

I definitely agree, though, that their rates on prepaid aren't "all that", especially now that stop-the-clock has expired.

At the higher end of the market, Vodafone's packages are very good value for money, and often significantly cheaper than the likes of Meteor, especially if you're using them for business.

I definitely agree, though, that their rates on prepaid aren't "all that", especially now that stop-the-clock has expired.
    true, their business packages are pretty good but you have to be using about 1000 minutes a month for them to be cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya all my friends have seemed to have moved to meteor lately their blown away by this free texts hype
    Its unbelieveable the amount of customers they have gained in this saturated market
    wonder if 3 can do anything like what meteor have done though 3 still havent released customer numbers despite being here almost 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

RobbieM wrote:
    I am so glad I found this thread
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
    How can you FIND a thread when you create it??????????
    Ha ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How exactly is it Vodafones problem and/or fault that you dont know which network the person your txting is on?

Yet Meteor are hreat becaus ethe people you know who have 085 numbers are all still on Meteor?

If 50% of Meteor customers port to other Networks tomorow, is the Meteor offer suddenly a scam because of the amount of people with 085 numbers that are not Meteor customers?

People are never happy, give them portability while keeping the existing numbers like they want and then they moan that they dont know what network people are on.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

christ people will moan about anything

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

RobbieM wrote:
    Ok..... meteor have the free meteor to meteor txts. fine but you can generally trust that at least a 085 is a meteor.

The missus is 085 and she's on Vodafone.

But I see your point which is "get rid of number portability. Your prefix should be network specific".

sheesh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Stop moaning OP. If you had to change numbers when porting from Vodafone, I'm sure you'd moaning about that too

Meteor rule btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

does any one know if meteor have improved theyre coverage in the last 2-3 years? my brother got a phone about that long ago on meteor and it didn't have coverage, so we've stayed away from meteor

maxitwist wrote:
    does any one know if meteor have improved theyre coverage in the last 2-3 years? my brother got a phone about that long ago on meteor and it didn't have coverage, so we've stayed away from meteor

Meteor now have an agreement with O2, so if you move out of coverage you can roam on O2's network at no extra charge. I think they'll be switching over from O2 to Vodafone soon.

A word of warning, if you intend to do any roaming, the Meteor network is definitely not for you. Apart from that, I never had any issues with coverage. I was a customer of theirs for over a year before returning to O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor now have an agreement with O2, so if you move out of coverage you can roam on O2's network at no extra charge. I think they'll be switching over from O2 to Vodafone soon.

A word of warning, if you intend to do any roaming, the Meteor network is definitely not for you. Apart from that, I never had any issues with coverage. I was a customer of theirs for over a year before returning to O2.

Incorrect.

That agreement ended in Feburary, and it's now a Vodafone roaming agreement in place that covers the same area, and then some. It stretches in Limerick county and some of Tipp and covers most of Cork as well as Clare, Galway, Mayo etc.

Again, roaming depends on where you're going. I've been, or people I know, to France, England, Fuertaventura, Lanzarote, Portugal, Spain, USA, Germany and Poland, and it worked fine. Other countries I can't speak for from personal experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

oh stop moaning about sending 500 txts... who actually knows 500 people.. for that fact who knows 100 people they would send a generic holiday text to...

20 people would be the most.. and even then the time it takes to send 10 generic texts i could find something better to do.. like drink another pint :D

and if your popular enough to know 100 people to send a generic text to i'm sure you could afford it as a social life like that would take alot of maintaining...

well am i right or am i right :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

chrislad wrote:
    Incorrect.

That agreement ended in Feburary, and it's now a Vodafone roaming agreement in place that covers the same area, and then some. It stretches in Limerick county and some of Tipp and covers most of Cork as well as Clare, Galway, Mayo etc.

Again, roaming depends on where you're going. I've been, or people I know, to France, England, Fuertaventura, Lanzarote, Portugal, Spain, USA, Germany and Poland, and it worked fine. Other countries I can't speak for from personal experience.

My bad, I thought Meteor were switching their agreement from O2 to Vodafone. Apparently this is not the case according to you. Oh wait... it is. Confused? I wasn't sure about the timescale, but I did say they were changing it to Vodafone as far as I know, which is correct. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

RobbieM wrote:

If this is true then that is sick .... All the telcos already capitalise on confusion and complex tarrifs . The fact that one of the reasons that they are ran this 24 hour promotion was just to mislead people just makes me think even less of the lowlifes in the telco marketing departments.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Fungus wrote:
    If this is true then that is sick .... All the telcos already capitalise on confusion and complex tarrifs . The fact that one of the reasons that they are ran this 24 hour promotion was just to mislead people just makes me think even less of the lowlifes in the telco marketing departments.

So how do you think they should have advertised it ? They used "Vodafone to Vodafone". Not "087 to 087". Meteor do "Meteor to Meteor" and no-one says its a scam.

Surely if you want to use it you figure whether or not your bosom buddy is on VF ... ?

oh stop moaning about sending 500 txts... who actually knows 500 people.. for that fact who knows 100 people they would send a generic holiday text to...

20 people would be the most.. and even then the time it takes to send 10 generic texts i could find something better to do.. like drink another pint :D

and if your popular enough to know 100 people to send a generic text to i'm sure you could afford it as a social life like that would take alot of maintaining...

well am i right or am i right :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    it doesn't have to be 100 different people. maybe you could send a load of texts to someone you haven't talked to in a while because you think its free, which, as was already mentioned, is what they were counting on

My bad, I thought Meteor were switching their agreement from O2 to Vodafone. Apparently this is not the case according to you. Oh wait... it is. Confused? I wasn't sure about the timescale, but I did say they were changing it to Vodafone as far as I know, which is correct. ;)

You misunderstand. Meteor have already switched their agreement from O2 to Vodafone since Feb 28th.

:)

I'm tired :)

chrislad wrote:
    You misunderstand. Meteor have already switched their agreement from O2 to Vodafone since Feb 28th.

:)

I'm tired :)

I was at a mates house a few days ago, definitely after Feb 28th, and his Meteor phone was still roaming on the O2 network. Perhaps there is a transitional period where they have agreements with both O2 and Vodafone?

Maybe, but I know people in Galway and Kerry as well as Clare who show up as Vodafone (Meteor). Like you said, there may be a transitional period or O2 haven't updated systems in somes parts of the country.

Who knows :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

To check whether or not the number is part of the Meteor network, you can simply send a text with your phone number in the body of the text, to 50004 .For example, to determine if the person with the number 087 1234567 is a Meteor subscriber then simply send a text with 0871234567 to the number 50004. A response will be sent, indicating whether or not the number is part of the Meteor network.

Advertisement