Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No discount from Nissan on list price

Options
  • 16-03-2007 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Looking to order a new Nissan Qashqai and dealer in Dublin has availability of a very high spec model but is quoting full list price without a discount for being a cash buyer with no trade in. The reason given is
    "As there is only one vehicle in stock until September at the earliest I am not in a position to offer a Cash Discount"

Is there any means of negociating a discount. Surely the dealers margin is not lower just because there is a supply problem currently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Morrismurf

Dermo123 wrote:
    Looking to order a new Nissan Qashqai and dealer in Dublin has availability of a very high spec model but is quoting full list price without a discount for being a cash buyer with no trade in. The reason given is
    "As there is only one vehicle in stock until September at the earliest I am not in a position to offer a Cash Discount"

Is there any means of negociating a discount. Surely the dealers margin is not lower just because there is a supply problem currently?

I had a similar experience a few weeks back - dealer very bullish due to high demand and low availability. Dealers are claiming very little room for negotiation due to "small" profit margin!! I've a Qashqai on order since they came in here but delivery is unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's simple economics....if you won't pay it someone else will so the dealer's not going to "do a deal" on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PokerChild

Dermo123 wrote:

It is not a margin issue. Why would they discount?

People discount to make a sale. These Quashqai are in demand and the Dealers are getting good trade ins. Audi A3's for example. VW Golfs.

The dealers have no need to discount. I'd actually expect a price increase at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

rubbish ... this is a line I have heard before.

the sister in law was buying a new MX5 roadster (folding hard top) .. she was very particular about the colour and spec.

The first dealer gave her that line, huge demand, no availability can't give much of a discount .. €450 off for cash .. no trade in.

She did her homework, spoke to a few dealers around the country and managed to buy the car with a cash discount of €2300 and got the colour she wanted ... she had to pursuade the dealer to do a swap with another down the country.

In fairness I am a sales rep myself (not in cars) but she would have put the frightners on me with her attitude .. but she got the best possible deal and didn't take the dealers word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There actually is huge demand for these cars at the moment though, more than there is supply. The dealer knows he won't have to give a discount to make a sale on them.

• Advertisement

that really isn't the case.

There may be high demand .. but if you let the dealer know that you will order it with someone else he will have to start negotiating !!! there maybe limited supply but there is always the factory order etc ..

To say that they will let another dealer get the order with out an effort is stupid !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

whippet wrote:
    that really isn't the case

It looks like it is. As said, a question of supply and demand. In some cases new cars (usually exotic ones, granted) go for more than the list price to people anxious to jump the waiting list

it is one thing paying more to jump a waiting list, but if you are willing to wait for the delivery standard negotating terms should apply.

My previous example of the MX 5 is a case in fact, the demand and the supply constraints for that model was an excuse for one main dealer to spout the line about no discounts. however with persistance and the threat of giving the business elsewhere (as she was going to order off someone) got her a nice discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

whippet wrote:
    if you are willing to wait for the delivery standard negotating terms should apply

What makes you say that? If the dealer reckons he can sell all the cars he can possibly get his hands on this year for the full asking price, why would he give a cent discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

whippet wrote:
    it is one thing paying more to jump a waiting list, but if you are willing to wait for the delivery standard negotating terms should apply.

My previous example of the MX 5 is a case in fact, the demand and the supply constraints for that model was an excuse for one main dealer to spout the line about no discounts. however with persistance and the threat of giving the business elsewhere (as she was going to order off someone) got her a nice discount.

You can't use the MX5 as a litmus test. There are plenty of cars on the market with no discount. The new X5 coming out this summer for example, and the new M3.

• Advertisement

so what you are saying is that if I walked into dealer A looking for a Qashqai and you are given a cash price of say €30K, no discount. Then you contact a fleet company as a private buyer and get a price of €28K (which is very possible). If you go back to dealer A, will he say 'no discount' and let you call the Fleet company and place the order?

everyone selling a car has a profit margin based on the RRP and it is up to them if they are willing to cut a little off margin for the order or let someone else take the business and wait for the next sucker to pay the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dermo123 wrote:

Have you gone to a dealer outside the Big Smoke? I pass my local Nissan dealer everyday on the way to work and he has a couple of brand new Qashqai in stock for the last couple of weeks. If the dealer you went to has only one available then he is in a very strong position to get as much as possible for it. If you are prepared to travel and have a bit of patience then you stand a greater chance of getting a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

whippet wrote:
    so what you are saying is that if I walked into dealer A looking for a Qashqai and you are given a cash price of say €30K, no discount. Then you contact a fleet company as a private buyer and get a price of €28K (which is very possible). If you go back to dealer A, will he say 'no discount' and let you call the Fleet company and place the order?

everyone selling a car has a profit margin based on the RRP and it is up to them if they are willing to cut a little off margin for the order or let someone else take the business and wait for the next sucker to pay the list.

Think of this from that dealer's perspective for a moment...

You have one car available until September, and there is already interest in it (i.e the OP), there is high demand for this car and an apparent low supply... where is the incentive there to give a discount? He know's he can shift it at list price regardless of any threats from a potential buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

It is highly unlikely that the dealer has only one car between now and September. Dealers are occasionally known to exaggerate....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

whippet wrote:
    that really isn't the case.

There may be high demand .. but if you let the dealer know that you will order it with someone else he will have to start negotiating !!! there maybe limited supply but there is always the factory order etc ..

To say that they will let another dealer get the order with out an effort is stupid !!!

Youv'e obviously never been in sales buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Dermo123 wrote:

If you can't afford the price, then you shouldn't be wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This is ridiculous. Would you expect a discount off a Playstation 3 on the release date? Of course not. This car is in demand at the moment, and simple supply-and-demand rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Ah yes, I've heard salesmen mention people like you before! Stupid enough to pay full price was the general start of it! Will you cop on. :rolleyes:

It all seems a bit odd to me.

The car I own is a lot rarer than any Nissan, I'm not sure anybody had one registered privately when I bought it either as there was so few of them in Ireland and I had no problem getting a discount - I did look outside the Pale however!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

What a stupid blunt statement.:rolleyes:
    The OP might be in a position to buy the bloody garage, for all you or I know.
    Would you shell out the full asking price on a car without at least looking into the possibility of a discount??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

back up the last poster here, will ye give the OP a break, he was just looking into the possiblily of getting a discount jeez.

of course we all know he wont get a cent off it but worth a shot.

totally OTT, but the SUZUKI add, grand vitara:D

my mum heard it after the late late show earlier, and groans, oh that bloody ad.
    then i mentioned people on boards making a show about it, i said to my mum that bloody ad would reduce sales of that vitara than increase em, what clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Nissan make a crap car, I don't understand why anybody would queue for a Nissan or even pay over the odds, a Toyota or a Honda yeah, but a Nissan???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DonJose wrote:
    Nissan make a crap car, I don't understand why anybody would queue for a Nissan or even pay over the odds, a Toyota or a Honda yeah, but a Nissan???

Your awful irritable tonight arent you. First ninetyniner's sig, now Nissan as a whole, who's next for the wrath stick? :)

Stekelly wrote:
    Your awful irritable tonight arent you. First ninetyniner's sig, now Nissan as a whole, who's next for the wrath stick? :)
    Knockmore?

Stekelly wrote:

Your grammar. LOL

Stekelly wrote:
    Your awful irritable tonight arent you. First ninetyniner's sig

Well boards.ie isn't a recruitment center for political parties, is it?

You're really stretching out that quote.

I'm sure if it broke rules it'd be gone. Whats the difference between that and people advertiseing anything else through their sigs? Or is it just the fact that it's for FF?

This is getting way OT btw. I'm sure there are whole forums down the back somewhere that you could voice your sig concerns in.

OT. Are you from Knockmore?

No

OK, then its a different Stephen Kelly I had in mind. Again I don't think Nissan make a good car and I don't think politcal parties should be recruited on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote:
    OK, then its a different Stephen Kelly I had in mind. Again I don't think Nissan make a good car and I don't think politcal parties should be recruited on boards.ie.

There are a few of us knocking around.

Depends on your definition of good. Nobody makes a perfect car or else everyone would be driveing it.

In a dictatorship your opinion doesnt matter.

Advertisement