Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No discount from Nissan on list price

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Give it a year and they'll be discounting it as heavily as the rest of the range. ANyone remember the big fuss there was about the Nissan Note? Now look at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Its true - they'll be dumping pre-registered ones into the auction houses as they've done with the Almera and Primera and the residual values will plummet. I got badly burnt on a Primera Accenta and I'd never, ever buy another Nissan as a result. It could be a great car but if it depreciates as fast as something far more expensive (and better) then why buy it?

most of the excitement about the Qashqai is thanks to the huge advertising spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PokerChild

colm_mcm wrote:
    most of the excitement about the Qashqai is thanks to the huge advertising spend.

I'd disagree. It is a beautiful vehicle in the flesh. Mini Murano from the front... and like a golf on steroids from the back. One of the best looking vehicles out there. And it is pulling people out of high end golfs. A3's mini's Beetles BMW1's Merc A's
    People who have 25 - 30ish grand to spend are going for this vehicle. The only market it is not effecting are those who require Fleet type saloons. 3&5 series/passet types.

Thats just my take on it.

time will tell !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

PokerChild wrote:
    it is pulling people out of high end golfs. A3's

In fairness now PC a high end Golf/A3 is a GTI, R32 or S3 and I really don't see how in the slightest that Nissan can compete with either of the three.

350 aside (and even that has a Renault engine) I really don't think Nissan have any desirable cars. When was the last time a Nissan drove past you and you thought, f**k I would LOVE one of them.

I think the OP should just shop around. I got the same rubbish off some woman in Foster Motors about no discounts on S3s and I went elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

well i would never buy a nissan quagmire, oh sorry, too much family guy...:rolleyes:

people get sucked into the advertising hype im sure, advertising is a power full medium!
    for 20 or 30 grand there is a whole host of sexy cars out there i would have to say, and as people pointed out the only nissan which falls into this category is a 350z, dont think the op is interested in this marque somehow:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MarkN wrote:
    350 aside (and even that has a Renault engine) I really don't think Nissan have any desirable cars. When was the last time a Nissan drove past you and you thought, f**k I would LOVE one of them.

Very few family cars will have anybody thinking "**** i would love one of those"as it drives past

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MarkN wrote:
    The car I own is a lot rarer than any Nissan

Rarity is irrelevant in terms of potential discount. Supply and demand are all there is to it. Supply and demand of an Audi S3 are bot very low. Supply of said Nissan is low, demand is high
    MarkN wrote:
    I had no problem getting a discount

On a 2 liter glorified VW with a list price only a couple a grand short of a BMW 335Ci? I'd reckon there is some scope for a discount there indeed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PokerChild

MarkN wrote:
    In fairness now PC a high end Golf/A3 is a GTI, R32 or S3 and I really don't see how in the slightest that Nissan can compete with either of the three.

I think the OP should just shop around. I got the same rubbish off some woman in Foster Motors about no discounts on S3s and I went elsewhere.

Sorry my use of "high end" was not really for the VW stable....more other cheaper franchises. Ford Focus etc. A base 1.9 tdi golf is about 24,000 and that was more the punter i meant. High end golfs are about 40,000 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

unkel wrote:
    What makes you say that? If the dealer reckons he can sell all the cars he can possibly get his hands on this year for the full asking price, why would he give a cent discount?

To make a one-time customer a returning, lifetime customer, perhaps? typical of today's Ireland, people not looking at the long-term picture.

I had the same experience with an expensive piece of studio equipment. The guy in Walton's gave me the same line. So I got a discount elsewhere and brought the machine by on my way home to show him.

overdriver wrote:
    To make a one-time customer a returning, lifetime customer, perhaps? typical of today's Ireland, people not looking at the long-term picture.

Is the person coming in behind you willing to pay the full asking price not also a possible one-time customer that could become a lifetime one?

But if the car's still there, the buyer you speak of obviously isn't. Simple as that, really.

RE ninety9er's sig. If more people had sigs like mine, it would be a nice balance, methinks. ;)

overdriver wrote:

RE ninety9er's sig. If more people had sigs like mine, it would be a nice balance, methinks. ;)

I want to complain and have your sig deleted, this isnt an anti political party recruitment website.:)

Unkel - you can't even get a sport in a 3 coupe yet, never mind adding leather, decent wheels, metallic and an auto box and the list price of a 335ci is quite a lot different to my car - I looked at the 3 series quite a bit. But there's a big long thread somewhere for all that! ;)

My point is, if one dealer is being difficult, it doesn't mean you can't shop around. Dublin dealers say Audi TTs are rare on the ground yet there's plenty of them available pretty much immediately, outside of Dublin.

Stekelly wrote:
    I want to complain and have your sig deleted, this isnt an anti political party recruitment website.:)

See, balance!! I like it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MarkN wrote:
    Unkel - you can't even get a sport in a 3 coupe yet

Was only messing, Mark ;)

Hope you're enjoying your new ride :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

MarkN wrote:

Most people couldn't give a toss about engine size, as with the growth of the celtic tiger, people are more concerned with looks. And this thing looks like a mini suv, aggressive and not overly enormous. The shape is much more stylish and pleasing than a boxy A3, a boring VW and just plain wrong bmw1.

I also went into the local dealer and they gave no discounts either no trade cash only, so demand is far outstripping supply at this moment in time. I'll try again later.

It's got a lot of nice features at this pricepoint, paranoramic roof, gadgets, blue tooth, cruise control, parking sensors, etc. For the money it's better than anything else out there IMO. If you're looking for practicality, looks, and gadgets the qashqai fits the bill.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Most people couldn't give a toss about engine size, as with the growth of the celtic tiger, people are more concerned with looks. And this thing looks like a mini suv, aggressive and not overly enormous. The shape is much more stylish and pleasing than a boxy A3, a boring VW and just plain wrong bmw1.

I also went into the local dealer and they gave no discounts either no trade cash only, so demand is far outstripping supply at this moment in time. I'll try again later.

Have to disagree with this, I wouldn't call it at all stylish. Its ok at best but looks a bit silly to me. I especially hate all the cheap looking plastic on show, looks like they were trying to copy the X3 or something which looks terrible too.

I'm am biased, but I don't know how you can call the A3 boxy and like the Qashqai?
    It's much more 'boxy' looking, at least to my eye..

copacetic wrote:
    Have to disagree with this, I wouldn't call it at all stylish. Its ok at best but looks a bit silly to me. I especially hate all the cheap looking plastic on show, looks like they were trying to copy the X3 or something which looks terrible too.

I'm am biased, but I don't know how you can call the A3 boxy and like the Qashqai?
    It's much more 'boxy' looking, at least to my eye..
    To each his own, but I'd say the qashqai has more curves than the A3. Also it's brand new whereas the A3 is four years old and getting a bit long in the tooth now.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

To each his own, but I'd say the qashqai has more curves than the A3. Also it's brand new whereas the A3 is four years old and getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Touché!

Although the 5 door A3 with the new grill is only out 2 years, like you say, to each his own. We are going to see a lot more of this type of car in the next couple of years and I will be looking hard at the Volvo XC60 when it comes out myself..

volvo-xc60---07_450.jpg

copacetic wrote:
    Touché!

Although the 5 door A3 with the new grill is only out 2 years, like you say, to each his own. We are going to see a lot more of this type of car in the next couple of years and I will be looking hard at the Volvo XC60 when it comes out myself..

volvo-xc60---07_450.jpg
    Nice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

People like this car because it's a crossover - an SUV for people who can't afford SUV's and don't necessarily want a 4 litre obscenity that won't even fit in a parking space at the local Tesco (unless it's the disabled space - those SUV drivers just love disabled spaces) They don't want to pay a sh1tload of tax and they don't want to get a second mortgage to pay their insurance premium. It doesn't have a lot of competition in this sector - Ford Fusion (a lot smaller) - Dodge(y) Caliber (American) and maybe the low end Tucson or the new Terios (big improvement on it's predecessor)

Badge snobbery aside demand is high for the Qashqai and dealers can well afford to discount new cars - especially if they're financing them (they get up to 2% commission on finance - more if they sell payment protection) - The days of buying for cash being an advantage are long gone - the dealer prefers to finance even if they don't admit it.

You have to shop around - too many people get screwed by dealers these days because they're just too bloody lazy to try a couple of other dealers as well - I used to work in car finance and I was amazed by the stupidly high prices some people paid for cars especially second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

MarkN wrote:
    The car I own is a lot rarer than any Nissan, I'm not sure anybody had one registered privately when I bought it either as there was so few of them in Ireland and I had no problem getting a discount - I did look outside the Pale however!

There's hardly a salivating queue waiting to drop almost 60 grand on an A3! At the moment demand outstrips supply for the Qashqai - it's a different kettle of fish entirely.

The 'no-discount' retort is standard operating procedure for VAG salespeople so credit where it's due for shopping around.

unkel wrote:
    Was only messing, Mark ;)

Hope you're enjoying your new ride :D

As I am! :)

As it turns out, the auto box is standard on the 335ci! Still, a big difference in price.

And although the sport is not listed they can now be ordered for the coupe , as can the 318ci and 320ci - I was out with my BMW dealer mate last night! :D

OP - can you let us know how you get on with this discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well ..if you can't get the qash-whatever ...there is always THIS :D

Advertisement