Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling on Carzone

Options
  • 16-03-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

I just wanted your experiences on this,

I have a car up for sale in carzone, it is priced a little higher than similar models but the spec is far better.

So far in about a week I have got 89 views on my ad, but no calls. Has anyone any insite as to how the number of views comes about, does that seem a high number without a call ?

I am not really in a hurry to sell and would like to hold out for the price, I know that even a remotely interested buyer will see the premium value.

The car is priced cheaper than those being offered by dealers but just slightly higher than the private sellers.

It is a UK spec, that was imported privately (all paperwork available), I don't know if this should be included in the body of the ad as I think it might put off some potential buyers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

About the same number of views on my car on there and just one call. I would not mention anything in the ad which would put buyers off - why disadvantage yourself. Its free to leave it up there. To be honest I think the market is VERY slow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

It took me months, and multiple thousands of views, to move a car off carzone. I finally did it by moving the price to one of the lowest for the model. Within hours of doing that I had a number of genuine calls and sold it within 2 days. I would advise pricing it as realistically as you can if you need a sale soon, as it will sit for months otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I will leave it as is for the next week or two .. but then I will have to make it move .. before the new motor arrives !!

is there anywhere else worth advertising a sub €10K 4 year old car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i found carzone great when selling my car.the price has to be right for quick sale.no one will really buy expensive from a private sale.its better to lower it now and get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I got a good few emails from it within the first two weeks. Sold my car to the first person that came to look at it.

Not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As has been said on here lots of times a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Many people may not be willing to spend extra for the higher specifications or extras on a used car but rather see them as a nice little bonus if buying the car.

As you said you have a bit of time on your hands so you can hold out and see if you get your asking price.

Also alot of people including myself, regularly browse through carzone, etc looking for something that might be of interest. 99% of the time that is all it may be just browsing or window shopping. The other side of the coin is that you receive nothing but calls from time wasters and tyre kickers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I agree the market seems very slow.

I've had a car up on carzone for maybe two months and supposedly it's had 2,869 views!

Hold on till the Spring mood kicks in proper and people get their SSIAs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

price it a little lower than you have it and it should move quicker.

I put mine up recently and it sold in 2 days. Some people think their cars are worth a lot more than they are and that is why they never sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

The guy who bought my last car on carzone had seen it a fair while before he bothered to contact me and only then after I lowered the price.

I figure the strategy should be to place a value on the car that you think it's worth. Place a value on how much you think getting a fast sale for the car is worth to you and subtract that from what you think your car is worth.
    That should be the price at which it should move unless you've deluded yourself as to the worth of the car.

Having said that, without good pictures and a full spec of everything desirable on the car I think I'd still be trying to sell the car as it was hard to differentiate it from the hundreds of other similiar cars on the site.

Take pictures of the car in a place of scenic beauty or in front of a nice house. Give the prospective buyer a nice fuzzy feeling inside - it loosens the purse strings : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

When I'm browsing carzone I tend to sort by price and then work from the cheapest up. I usually don't bother going more than half way... so cars in the top half don't even get a look in. I doubt I'm the only one who does this, and I think it might explain why you only have 89 views after a week...

When I was last selling a car on carzone I priced it so that it was the 2nd cheapest, which I thought was a realistic price anyway. 2 days and 300 odd views later I got a single phonecall... and the car was sold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

JHMEG wrote:
    When I'm browsing carzone I tend to sort by price and then work from the cheapest up. I usually don't bother going more than half way... so cars in the top half don't even get a look in. I doubt I'm the only one who does this, and I think it might explain why you only have 89 views after a week...

When I was last selling a car on carzone I priced it so that it was the 2nd cheapest, which I thought was a realistic price anyway. 2 days and 300 odd views later I got a single phonecall... and the car was sold.

Yes you are exactly right.The most expensive golfs have been there since last year and havnt sold where as the cheapest one sell like hot cakes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pricing is key. I've sold a few cars off Carzone. You have to make your car the most attractive of it's type available.

If the car is say 4 years old or more, spec. doesn't matter at all in relation to value imho. Buying extras is a waste of money.

What counts in that instance is overall condition, service history, and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Baleno anyone? ;)

Advertisement