Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fined for not displaying tax

Options
  • 16-03-2007 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I just found a notice on my car (from a warden) giving me a 60e fine for not displaying a current tax disc. The disc is dated 11/06, the car is taxed, i just completely forgot to put the new disc up last year and it never dawned on me since - its my first car and i forgot to do a lot of things at the start, like taking the handbreak off when taking off :rolleyes:

My question is, does anyone think there's a chance, with some persuasion i could get out of the fine or is it a case of i broke the law and thats that....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you check the fine, I'm sure there's a number you can call to make an appeal.

The offence however is "Failure to display current tax disc", so there may not be a whole lot you can do about it. Count yourself lucky they didn't decide to lift it, since the disc was out by over 3 months. :)

It's a relatively small fine, and you were fairly caught. Personally, I'd just pay it and chalk it down to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sordini

If you have an issue with Tax in Tipp why dont yuo talk to your elected representative Mr Lowry or his gooooood friend Mr Dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Girl From Tipp

No number, just tells me where to go to pay the fine...

But i guess you're right Seamus, chalk it down to expericence as you say. I'm not earning big bucks so 60e is enough, but it might remind me to make sure things are in order in the future... 3 months was a long time not to notice!

A great start to the weekend though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Chance you arm. Go to the Fines office, explain that your tax was showing in the window and you can't understand why you got this ticket. Hopefully you will get a sympathic ear and the ticket will be squashed. Worth a go at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Chance you arm. Go to the Fines office, explain that your tax was showing in the window and you can't understand why you got this ticket. Hopefully you will get a sympathic ear and the ticket will be squashed. Worth a go at least.
    I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here the wardens all carry digital cameras and photograph all ticketed cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here the wardens all carry digital cameras and photograph all ticketed cars.

Not in Cork. We don't even get a ticket, just a bill in the post. You don't even know what you did to deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Girl From Tipp

And lying is not one of my numerous talents... i go bright red telling even the smallest one :( I thinks there's only one warden in the town so he might even remember the actual fine, he can't give out too many. So my only way out would be to find a sympathetic soul who just be nice and let me off the fine when they see i was taxed all along, even though i know the fine is for not displaying it...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just go to the fines office and explain what happened and they should (hopefully) be able to clear the ticket.
    Despite my parking stub being visible, I got a parking ticket before (in Dublin) and went into the fines office on Capel St and showed them my parking stub and the matter was closed straight away.

If they don't sort it out then (as you are female) just start crying and see if that works! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another poster on here a couple of days ago received a court summons for not having a valid tax disc. So in that perspective a €60 fine for non displaying of a valid tax disc may not be the worst.

You can of course try and plead your case with them that you did pay your road tax but just forgot to put up the valid disc, you never know until you try. If this doesn't work though I would put the whole experience down to just an expensive reminder to change the disc when it requires so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No offense but just pay the fine. Why would they be remotely interested in your memory lapses? You are obliged to display tax and you didn't do so. End of. It could happen to anyone and at least it wasn't a big fine. Just chalk it down to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Still, I would go and try to save 60 quid!! its a lot of money, for those of us who don't have it anyway!! Worse case they can laugh at you, think you are silly for even trying, but what the heck, you learnt your lesson anyway im sure, and it would be a bonus if you got it torn up!!
    Good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Ignore anyone telling you to roll over and play the good citizen. They get enough out of you as it is.

Tell them you put the new tax disc in, but it went BEHIND one of the old ones instead of in front. Silly you!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What could have happened was that your child (or your friend's child (or niece/nephew) was sitting in the passenger seat, listening to Joe Duffy, while the car was parked at home. S/he is a demon, and took the disc out to look at it as it was sticking up a little bit. You found it in the footwell after you got the ticket. Put on the poor mouth as well.

This, and showing the disc and its date of issue, might do the trick. Don't leave it very long though - these things get harder to stop the further into the computer system they get.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

overdriver wrote:
    Tell them you put the new tax disc in, but it went BEHIND one of the old ones instead of in front. Silly you!

How does that matter? If it's not visible, t's not displayed, which is the offence.

"Forgetting" to obey the law doesnt mean you obeyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Yeah, Ste, I understand what the offence is. I'm merely offering the guy a plausible excuse.

He paid the tax, so he might well get off with it, if he has a good enough story.

Advertisement