Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom Netopia router to work with NTL CAble Modem?

Options
  • 16-03-2007 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if its possible to hook my eircom netopia router up to my NTL cable modem?

I dont have eircom broadband... but i have one of their routers !
    I do have NTL broadband.

leaving wireless out of all this,
    I've tried the following:

STEP 1
    firstly, i setup a laptop using the ntl modem, to take note of the ipddress, gateway address etc and verify it talks and goes to the web etc.

STEP 2
    using the values above :
    I connected both the ntl modem and netopia router via their ethernet ports.
    I adjused the netopia router (using its web interface advanced) to use the ipaddress's given from the test in step 1 and set the gateway address, primary dns etc.
    But when i telnet into the Netopia Command line interface, it wont ping the NTL gateway address...and so will never get out to the web.

Is this possible? I know the eircom netopia router is sort of supposed to be used with a DSL connection to the web, but can i override this and get it to use the ethernet setup out through the NTL modem?

any input would be really appreciated?
    if you need more info, let me know.

cheers, DB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

The NTL device is probably a cable modem not a router. A router has LAN ports that you can plug another router into. A cable modem has one ethernet WAN port which will only work with a cable router.

Try Komplett.ie for the linksys wrt54gs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 raheny12

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if its possible to hook my eircom netopia router up to my NTL cable modem?

I dont have eircom broadband... but i have one of their routers !
    I do have NTL broadband.

leaving wireless out of all this,
    I've tried the following:

STEP 1
    firstly, i setup a laptop using the ntl modem, to take note of the ipddress, gateway address etc and verify it talks and goes to the web etc.

STEP 2
    using the values above :
    I connected both the ntl modem and netopia router via their ethernet ports.
    I adjused the netopia router (using its web interface advanced) to use the ipaddress's given from the test in step 1 and set the gateway address, primary dns etc.
    But when i telnet into the Netopia Command line interface, it wont ping the NTL gateway address...and so will never get out to the web.

Is this possible? I know the eircom netopia router is sort of supposed to be used with a DSL connection to the web, but can i override this and get it to use the ethernet setup out through the NTL modem?

any input would be really appreciated?
    if you need more info, let me know.

cheers, DB
    Ok i had the same issue and got it working, basically when you connect to the ntl cable modem it supplies you with a DHCP IP address,the netopia router also supplies you with a DHCP IP so when you connect the 2 togeather the network will hang. you firstly need to log into the netopia box and disable DHCP its in advanced setup you can now use this as a switch,connect the ntl cable modem to one of the lan ports on the netopia box and set up as normal WEP keys etc it sounds confusing but it's actually not.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

What is the make model number of the NTL cable modem ?

Advertisement