Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom netopia router up to my NTL cable modem

Options
  • 16-03-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if its possible to hook my eircom netopia router up to my NTL cable modem?

I dont have eircom broadband... but i have one of their routers !
    I do have NTL broadband.

leaving wireless out of all this,
    I've tried the following:

STEP 1
    firstly, i setup a laptop using the ntl modem, to take note of the ipddress, gateway address etc and verify it talks and goes to the web etc.

STEP 2
    using the values above :
    I connected both the ntl modem and netopia router via their ethernet ports.
    I adjused the netopia router (using its web interface advanced) to use the ipaddress's given from the test in step 1 and set the gateway address, primary dns etc.
    But when i telnet into the Netopia Command line interface, it wont ping the NTL gateway address...and so will never get out to the web.

Is this possible? I know the eircom netopia router is sort of supposed to be used with a DSL connection to the web, but can i override this and get it to use the ethernet setup out through the NTL modem?

any input would be really appreciated?
    if you need more info, let me know.

cheers, DB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

can you put ntl modem in bridged mode, let router look after dhcp, firewall etc

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

sounds like a plan!

i'll look into that

cheers
    db

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

AFAIK the NTL equipment is just a modem not a router so you wont be able to put it into bridge mode.

ur right... in fact i dont think its possible to change ANY of the configuration of the NTL modem..

any other ways around this??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Technically it's possible to use the eircom equipment, but not as a router but as a switch (as it's wan port is RJ11 and RJ45). A few people manage to get it configured to work, but it's mostly a hit and miss affair with little success. You'd be better off getting a router that has a ethernet WAN port such as the Linksys WRT54G.

• Advertisement

Thanks

to use the netopia router as a switch - would this mean its wireless functionality wouldnt work?

Currently I have a Switch, with a laptop plugged into it, the NTL box pluged into it and the Netopia adapter plugged into it.

From the laptop, i can use the web.i.e going through the switch and out through the ntl modem, i can the ntl gateway ipaddress and i can also telnet to the netopia console.
    from the Netopia console i can ping or telnet back to laptop. It wont ping the ntl modem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

I found a old Netopia wireless switch the other day, and connected it to my NTL router.

First I pushed the reset button with a pen on the back of the Netopia router.
    Then using the crossover cable (flylead) I plugged the router directly into my laptop's ethernet port (I cant seem to get to the admin page via wireless).
    Next using my web browser (FIREFOX :-)) I typed in the default IP address of the router (got it off Netopia's website).
    The admin page came up (no password as I reset the router)
    Enter Advanced mode.
    Go to errr... cant remember now but basically change the router to a bridge connection somewhere in the Advanced mode settings.
    Save it and the router will reboot itself.
    While you are here remember to setup a WEP password and take a note of the WEB number!!!).
    Also switch on wireless access in the Advanced settings!!!
    Unplug your laptop and plug the Netopia router into NTL's router/modem/whatever.
    Give it a minute and it should work.

Hope that helps!!!

BTW: My router is a: Netopia Model 3347WG-VGx Wireless ADSL Gateway
    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3347wvgx.html

thanks for the comprehensive post buildabing,
    (and to everyone else)
    ill try that out

db

Advertisement