Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Tuesday - 1 hour swim
    Wednesday - 2:30.... why did it rain for 2:15 and the sun come out for the final 15 minutes?
    I spent most of last night dismantling a bike. Girlie nails are not compatable with triathlon :( Anyway, I'm just off out for about an hour swimming and then taking it easy for a couple of days ahead of Sunday's race in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Tried to post this on Thursday but had difficulties with posting, good luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Good luck tommorrow too!!

thur 21st June - 1 hour swim
    Firday 22nd - 1 hour swim
    Sat 23 - taper
    Sunday 24th - ironman bike, 6 hours. Grand considering it was on a strange bike and a hilly course
    Monday 25th - weights
    Tuesday 26th - 1 hour swim, 90 min run
    Wednesday 27th 2 hour bike
    Thur 28th - 1 hour swim
    Friday 29th 1 hour swim
    Saturday 30th - Kilkee Oly tri
    Sun 1 July - 30 min swim
    Monday 2nd - 2 hour run, weights
    tuesday 3rd - 1 hour swim
    wednesday 4th - 2 hour bike
    thursday 5th 1 hour swim
    friday 6th - 1 hour swim
    saturday 7th - taper
    Sunday 8th - half ironman (5:33)
    Monday 9th - 1 hour swim
    tuesday 10th - 90 min bike.

Right that's the training up to date.

wed 11/07 GOt out for a 2 hour run at lunchtime. Amazingly it didn't rain and I think I even felt some heat in the sun at one stage.

thur 12/07 - 1 hour swim. Knees felt a bit tender this morning so a swim was the best option.

Fri 13/07
    7am - 1 hour swim drills (polishes halo!)
    7pm - 1 hour in the weights room - Been a while since I made it and it was all hard work but fun.

sat 14/07
    1 hour swim, mostly concentrating on breathing drills. Muscles really sore from firday's weights, particularly quads.

sunday 15/07
    2.5 hour bike & 90 min run - brick session, kept the cadence high on the bike to see if I could manage it for a sustained time. It was frustrating to spin away but legs didn't complain which is good. Run was fine. I live in the city centre and do most of my running in the phoenix park. Sometimes feels like people actually go out of their way to blow smoke in my face when I run between home and the park. I'm sure they don't but it's annoying all the same.

Mon 16/07
    am - 1 hour swim drills, technique mostly
    pm - 2 hours cycling around howth head. I love that climb but HATTTTTEEE the descent, I'm such a scardy cat girl going downhill.

Tue 17/07
    90 min run @70% MHR
    1 hour swim - just swimming :-)

• Advertisement

Wed 18/07 - 3 hour bike, spinning in low gears
    Thur 19/07 - weights, 1 hour run
    Fri 20/07 - 1 hour swim in pool & 90 min open water swim
    Saturday 21/07 - sea kayaking
    Sunday 22/07 - 3 hour bike (group ride)
    Monday 23/07 - IM training started properly today. Expect the distances to increase now.
    2 km swim, 1 hour bike, 40 min run
    Tuesday 24/07 2:20 run, weights
    Wednesday 25/07 3km swim, 1:30 hour bike
    Thursday 26/07 2:40 hour bike, 55 min run, weights
    Friday 27/07 2.5km swim, 1:30 hour tempo run
    saturday 28/07 2 km Swim & sea kayaking - The swim was the Lee swim, lots of fun but the fire brigade whad to "decontaminate" us when we left the water.
    Sunday 29/07 - 4:45 hour bike
    Monday 30/07 2km swim, 1 hour bike
    Tuesday 31/07 2:30hour run, weights
    Wednesday 01/08 3 km swim, 1:30 hour tempo bike.

should do some sort of totals -
    week starting 16/07 = 17 hours
    week starting 23/07 = 21:45 hours (s=4 hrs, b=9:55, r=3:05)

Thur 2/08 - Swim 1 hour, run 1 hour
    Fri 3/08 - bike 3 hours
    Sat 4/08 - Olympic triathlon
    Sunday bike - 2:30 - I was due to do 5:30 but I jsut couldn't hack it outside in this weather and the gym bike kills my soul in little pieces.

Total for this week 18:15 - must do better :-)

I've also had a crap day foodwise today. First takeaway in months.

So this thread is officially back from the dead! When I last posted I was getting ready for an autumn ironman. Got around that in 11:15. Ok for the swim and bike but the wheels came off a bit in the marathon because of a chest infection. After that was Tring2Town 80 miler which I won. Since then though, I've done very little. Been in and out of hospital with all sorts of problems but I've been ok for about a month now and back to a reasonable amount of training. Last week was week 17 in the countdown to Ironman Florida which is my next goal

week 17: approx 16 hours.
    Monday 7th -
    easy bike 1 hour HR<132
    easy tun 40 min HR < 138
    moderate swim 2km (pool)

Tuesday
    long run 2:10, HR<148
    (skipped the weights session!)
    maximal bike test - I was crap!

Wednesday
    long swim 3.5 km
    speed bike 143< HR <183 ~1:20

Thursday
    speed swim 3.5 km
    speed run wu, 4x100, 6,800, 4x100, cd - found this very tough!

Friday
    moderate bike 1:15 - hey, I'm only getting back into it.
    moderate run - 60 min
    weights - had to rush these because of family do!

Saturday
    brick - 2:40 bike, 20 run followed by ice bath.

Sunday
    This was scheduled as a rest day but I ended up helping out at fitness instructor exams so I'm counting it as my recovery sessions and a weights session!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi hunnymonster just reading through your log ,amazing stuff very impressive .looking forward to reading more best of luck with IM florida . a couple of friends of mine are going to england with a group from waterford to do the iron man in september, as its their first one its a mixture or nerves and excitement .

Thanks for the good wishes, It's unknown territory but I hope I can stay healthy.

week 16:
    Monday
    am long run 2:15, ran into work with a little bit added on.
    pm recovery run 40 min, first run ever with my little brother who has recently laced up his trainers. I think I'm going to be in trouble to keep with him soon though.

Tuesday
    rest day

Wednesday
    Am: speed bike 1.15 at HR>160
    pm: speed swim 3km: wu, 6x75m on 15, 4x(3x100, 1x200 on 20), cd

Thursday
    lunchtime: moderate bike 2:20 @140
    pm: moderate run 1:10 @148

Friday
    am: Long swim 3.3 km 600, (500, 400, 200 - all accelerating on last 100, on 20)
    , 500
    lunch: track session 9km, 40 min wu, 4x100m, 4.8 km at max, cd

Sat
    brick session: 3:40 bike, 20 min run HR < 148

Sunday
    brick 2:45 bike, 1:20 run HR < 148
    Hard to keep HR < 148 on the run, will pick les hilly route next time.

Missed my weights this week but managed everything else to give a total of
    I'm pleased with how I'm able to keep up the hard efforts in my swimming these days.
    Less pleased with how tough I'm finding cycling in the wind. Can happily keep about 35 kph in still weather but it instantly drops to 25 if there is any wind. I've had my position on the bike checked band it doesn't seem to be that, I just lack power on the bike.
    Also not pleased with diet. I've started a food diary and it reads pretty bad, too many sweet things.

A little over 18 hours in total.

week 15:

This week was not bad all things considered. I had to do a lot of rejigging of my plan because I needed a second rest day. The Kinsale triathlon was on yesterday (saturday) and I was helping out there. Only session I missed was the speed run. My legs were feeling heavy all week so decided not to risk the impact of a sprinting session.

Monday
    lunchtime: 3.3 km swim, lots of 200m repeats. I thought I would be counting in my sleep!
    evening: long run 2:40@148. I tried a new route which resulted in lots of scrathes on my arms from having to ditch dive to avoid all the boy racers. Think I'll take my chances with the half awake morning commuters next week!

Tuesday:
    am: speed bike: wu, 5x10on10, 5x2on30, 4x3on90, 1x6 on 30, 3x1on60 cd
    lunchtime: 3km speed swim
    pm: gym: lateral pull downs, leg extensions, leg cursl, squats,dubmbell pullovers, push press, side lateral raises, calf raises, medibal curls, russian twist on ball, mediball leg raise, lower back extension

wednesday: rest day! hurray

Thursday:
    am: easy run, 40 min very slow
    lunchtime:weights same as tue but lunge twists added and heavier squats (80kgx10x4)

Friday:
    afternoon: long cycle - Cork to Killarney & back 4:40 (didn't quite hit Killarney, this felt like lots of hard work, needed a bit more rest, should have done a short run at end of ride but I decided not to hurt my quads any more)

Saturday:
    lunchtime: After the triathlon, I went out to sandycove to do a wee bit with my bf who was in the water for 6 hours!

Sunday:
    lunchtime: moderate brick: 3 hour bike and 1:40 run. Fabulous training session. This is what training is all about, great weather, feeling full of energy, loved every minute of it.

Welcome back, its great to see your back training hard again. Looks like your really back in the swing of things. I'll haven't being around here much this month but I'll look forward to reading your log.

• Advertisement

Thanks Odysseus,

28 km for me last night on a completely miserable run. It pissed rain for 25 km, cars veered towards me either intent on killing me or at the very least doing that dramatic tsunami of murky puddle water over me. was testing my new MdeS backpack which dug into my sunburn from the weekend.....Then, as if to taunt me, it stopped raining and the sun came out when I got onto the Island (<3km from home). On the plus side I tried my new skins out and I think there is something in this compression lark. Legs are completely fresh this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great reading HM. Just came across your log.
    Brilliant to see an IM training log here. Looking foward to reading it up to IM FL

(That time of 11:15 for an IM is superb)

week 14

Again, a good week. It was looking a bit hairy earlier in the week with the bad weather but the weekend has redeemed itself (and more). Weekend has ben fab adn I've enjoyed being out on the bike. I also got chatting to a couple of fellow cyclists out on the road which was nice.

Monday:
    am: long swim
    wu - 300 pull, 200 kick,4x50 on 30, 1x1000 on 2, 10x10 on 30, cd
    lunchtime (long lunch!!)
    speed bike 15 easy, 4x15 on 10, 1x20TT 8x30on 10 (high cadence), 15 easy
    Gym: latt pull downs, step ups, dead lifts, bench press, squats, lunges, press-push, side raises, mediball curls, russian curls on ball

Tuesday:
    lunchtime
    : speed swim
    200 easy, 200 pull, 4x50 on 15, 6x[3x50 fast, 1x200 moderate] 20x25 breathing every 4,5,6,7 strokes, 100 easy
    pm: long run 2:30 (horrendous rain!)

Wednesday:
    rest day
    - had a massage, came out with bruises - guess I must be tighter than I expected.

Thursday
    afternoon

moderate cycle 2:00 - including getting lost on way to Kinsale & getting some unexpected hills in!!
    Open water swim (Sandycove)

Friday
    Lunchtime
    (another long lunch - I do start at 7 on long lunch days though)
    Speed run: 10 min esy, 4x100 pickups, 8x600 @ HR183, 10 min easy -This was yet again hard work. I don't quite understand why I'm finding the speedwork so difficult. It's not tiredness or malnutrition....
    Gym: As Tuesday but different some additional work: back extensions, oblique crunches and calf raises.

Saturday
    am
    (had to be home by lunchtime so left at 6am!) long bike 5:40, brick run 30 min
    afternoon: went to see swimming regatta so decided to cycle there. 1:40 extra bike

Sunday:

lunchtime: moderate bike 3:20 - moderate run 1:10
    pm open water swim.

Next week is a step down week. Looking forward to taking it a little easier,

random thought for today: Why does it always seem to be Sunny on rest days and bucketing down on long cycle days?:confused:

week 13:
    This was scheduled as a down week but somehow a mammoth 7 hour Saturday brick managed to sneak in there.

Not a bad week overall but I'm getting a bit fed up trying to juggle work with trying to get out training when it is both dry and bright. Who forgot to tell the weather overlords that August should be sunny and dry!

There is also a tummy bug going around Cobh (chromium VI maybe?) and we both came down with it on Friday. Not so bad for me but made Mr HM's swim miserable as he couldn't keep anything down.

Monday
    long run: 1:40 - told you it was a down week.

Tuesday
    Lunchtime
    long swim - 4.5 km, first time over distance this year.
    evening -weights & recovery run

Wednesday
    lunchtime- cycling - speed session
    evening - swim - 2.5 km

Thursday
    rest day - had visitors so a late night!

Friday
    morning - recovery cycle
    lunchtime - tempo run @HR 160

Saturday
    long bike 6:30
    brick run 30 min

Sunday
    moderate run 1:20
    open water swim 30 min

total 17 hours

random thought of the day: Why do speed run sessions leave me famished?

• Advertisement

random thought of the day: Why do speed run sessions leave me famished?

Because it's been a while since your last fuel intake?
    I usually have a banana a half hour or so before I take to the road, but lately I've stopped this as I don't think I need it.
    I'm hoping to trim down a bit further.

Just after my speed session now so a nice sandwich is about to be had

Hi A, I'm not sure. I do longer (lower intensity) sessions without food and they don't leave me so hungry. I thought it was something to do with the intensity but the bike speed sessions don't leave me so hungry. I don't know what the English word for it would be but the German Heisshunger captures it pretty well.

week 12:

Week 12 was a bit strange, quite apart from the lousy weather making it difficult to get outside, we were in Dover for the weekend. It's not worth the flaffing that goes with packing a bike for a single weekend so I had to do a lot of re-jigging to get all the biking done during the week and the running at the weekend. Luckily I was only due to do a long bike of 5 hours so I was able to fit everything in. Theoretically I should have done more swimming at the weekend but I was suffering a strong dose of the cba's.

Monday 11th Aug
    am easy bike 1 hour: weights
    lunchtime: swim 3.2 km (300 easy, 300 kick, 6c50 mixed strokes, 2x1000 TT, 4 x150 (100 moderate, 50 fast)
    p.m. moderate cycle 1:45 - a hour in the pouring rain getting myself half-killed and 45 min on the turbo.

Tuesday
    morning:
    speed bike: 10 min easy, 4x15 on 10, 2 east, 15 min TT, 5 min TT, 3 easy, 10x45secc on 15, 10 min easy
    lunchtime: speed swim 3 km (250 easy, 6c75 hard on 15, 8x150 on 30, 3x200 on 15, 3x50 on 5)
    6pm: long run 2:15

Wednesday:
    lunchtime:
    speed run: 10 min easy 7x800m, 7x200m, 10 min easy
    evening: weights: latt pull downs, bench press (with Mr HM killing me!), squats, dumbbell pullovers, bent over row, lunge, side raises, push-presses

Thur: rest

Friday
    am:
    long bike 5 hours

Saturday
    am
    run 2:40 in Dover - Up the cliffs and then along the coast to the north east
    lunchtime - swim - 30 min (pathetic given the channel swimmers were doing 6 hours)

Sunday:
    am:
    moderate run 1:35 - along the coast to the west
    lunchtime: weights in the hotel gym which was surprisingly well equiped and noone else there.

20 hours in total this week. It felt like more because of the traveling and doing things at times I normally wouldn't

Week 11

Monday 18th
    Lunchtime:
    Swimming 3 km, 1 hour
    pm: Speed bike:
    10 min easy,
    4x15 hard on 15
    2 min easy
    2x[2x2min on 30sec, 1x12 min on 2 min]
    10 min easy

Tuesday 19th
    am:
    speed run
    10 min easy
    4x100m pickups
    2 min easy
    1x12 min TT, 3 min easy
    1x9 min TT, 3 min easy
    3x2 min hardest with 2 min recovery
    10 min easy
    pm: moderate bike
    3:07 hours, 90 km, horrible wind
    Bumped into a triathlon club doing time trials near the end of this trip. In theory HR should have been <142 but of course I got caught up "racing" he TT'ers and next thing I know, HR 175!

Wednesday 20th
    lunchtime: swim 3.8 km, 1:32 - hardly breaking any records but there was quite a lot of mixed strokes to slow me down
    300 easy
    6x150 (100 easy, 50 fast)
    800 steady
    72x25 mixed strokes
    pm: weights: usual set but I was working quite hard. DOMS have really set in!

Thursday 21st: Rest day
    did a recovery cycle this morning to help the sore muscles from the weights yesterday. That's all I intend to do today. [edit - of course I had to then cycle home again - 50 km total]

week 11
    Friday 22nd

moderate bike/long run brick
    3:25 bike
    2:25 run - with 10 kg backpack.
    This was a damn hard session. Couldn't get my HR up on the bike, couldn't keep it down on the run. The run route goes along the train tracks and it took a lot of will power to not stop at each station and get teh train the rest of the way. Glad I did it though. I'm swim sherpa'ing tomorrow so no real training.

• Advertisement

week 11
    Saturday 23rd

effing, biddy housework. How do two people generate 16 hours of cleaning (I did have some help). I kinda wanted to stay off my feet because, the moderate bike, long run brick session left me feeling very flat and I knew the Sean KElly ride would be demanding.

Sunday 24th
    Sean Kelly challenge. 165 km, took almost 6 hours which is pathetic.
    In my defense, I lost all the time on the downhills, I was scared ****less and descending bits at 14 kph. I think I now need new break pads. It was great fun to climb hills though. Everything I'm doing at the moment is flat.

Event was flawlessly organised but some of the roadies were idiots. If you don't like being overtaken by a girl, learn to bloody cycle, calling her names is not going to help!

40 min run afterwards. took most of the 40 minutes to de-numb (un-numb?) my feet.

total for week 11: 23 hours and some pretty tough sessions in there so I'm happy.

23hrs! Some devotion, some commitment. I'm only doing 6.5hrs max at the moment.
    I can't even see my self doing 15hrs. I'll see how I fare at a half IM if I'm lucky.
    Well done. 10 weeks to go.

It looks like your well and truly back in the swing of things, good stuff. Can I ask how are you finding the back pack running? Also how are you weighing it? I am holding back on it for another while due to my achillies but I was using 5 kilo bags of sugar so just guessed it was 5kg.

I had them wrapped in old clothes to stop them moving around. I got one of those scales for weighing fish, you know the type hand held with a hook on the end. It said my bag was a little over 8kg. I didn't think the bag plus the clothes would bring it up 3kg or if the scales is faulty it was a fiver in Aldi.

Abhainn, I know plenty of people who do ironman on 10 hours training a week. So long as the long bike is in there, the rest is padding. 6.5 hours is plenty for the half.

Odysseus, I've weighted the bag a couple of times. I was using a small inov8 one last year (for tring to town) but I've now got the raidlight that I hope to use in MdS. It really is very light but by the time I put a wallet, keys, phone and change of clothes in there it easily comes up to 10-12kgs. One thing though is that MdS stuff will be a lot more bulky. My arms swing quite far back when I run so the extra width at the back might be a problem. I'm going to get ironman out of the way and then start worrying about it. I've entered a couple of events to try stuff out. First is a rather vague plan some friends and I have to run the South Downs way (UK) the last weekend in November. It's about 100 miles and we're going to run straight through the night. As we'll be doing it as a group the pace will be very modest. The second is a rac, round Rotherham on the 13th December. It's a 50 miler but a tough course I'm lead to believe. You're weclome to come on either trip if the timing suits.

Cheers HM thanks for the offers but unfortunately I couldn't partake of much travel this side of xmas. Though the offer is greatly appreciated. However, if you still planning that other run you spoke of before let me know I would like to be able to get to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done hunnymonster on the sean kelly tour, I would have thought 6 hours would have been a fairly decent time, I suppose it shows what standard your at if you expect better.
    Also I had my wife read your log to see if it would inspire her into any kind of activity, she thinks your amazing, but as far as she is concerned its still a no go.

week 10
    Monday 25th
    am
    - speed swim - 2.6 km
    6x75 (2 easy one fast on 15)
    5x150 (5 easy, 1 fast, no breaks)
    800 pull
    5x50 fast
    150 easy
    I only had an hour so thought this would fit in easily but I forgot how hard it is to do speed stuff before breakfast. I was very sluggish. I was happy with the 50's though. Not often I can finish them faster than I start them,
    lunchtime: weights.
    latt pull down 45kgs x10x10x10
    bench press 15+15kgs x 10 x 10 x 10
    leg press 85 kgs x 10 x 10 x10wide x 10 narrow
    dumbbell pullover 15kgs x 10 standing x 10 lying x 10 lying
    bent over row 12+12kgs x 10x10x10
    lunges 8+8kgs kettlebellsx10lx10Rx10Lx10R
    side lateral raises 3+3kgs x10 x10 x10
    bicep cursl 8+8kgs x 10 x10 x10
    military press 8+8kgs x 10 x10 x10 (seated)
    step ups 8+8kgs x 10L x 10R
    deadlift bar then bar +50kgs then +60 only a couple to relearn technique
    My muscles were feeling a bit tired so didn't want to do a heavy weights session. Really concentrated on form so that I could get the most from the relatively light weights.

week 10
    Tuesday 26th
    am:
    moderate run
    1:30 at HR 145, 17.5 km. This was really tough. Took me the first hour to get going which is not good if the whole session is only going to last 1:35. That's the second morning session in a row that has been below par. Haven't pin-pointed why yet. Suggestions on a postcard to ...

lunchtime: long swim
    4km, 1:28, ave HR 122
    This was much better. I enjoyed the swim, the pool was almost empty and my stroke was good (I think)
    300 easy
    200 pull
    100 kick
    7x100 [2 hard, 2 easy on 10]
    2.5 km TT
    200 easy

Hunnymonster noticed you didn't were cycling gloves in the Sean Kelly race. I thought they would be an important part of the decent.
    The distance of 165km seems an ideal distance in lead up to IM

• Advertisement

Abhainn: I'm not going to waste time trying to get gloves on over wet salty hands in the ironman so I had better be used to the bone rattling in training. Besides, I have far too many tan lines as it is, last thing I need are taned knuckles with white hands!
    Transition in Ironman Florida is quite long and they are quite prudish (i.e. no women running around naked and men with their willies on show like you would have in a european race) so I want to be as efficient as possible.

week 10
    Wed 27th
    am:
    (A)recovery run 30 min
    (B)speed bike 1 hour
    10 min easy,
    4x15 on 15
    20 min TT (HR 145 - just couldn't get it up - the "morning" effect again)
    8x30on15, low gear, high cadence
    10 min easy
    hated this session. Just can't do speed in the morning.
    lunchtime: speed run
    10 min easy
    2x400 & 8x600 @4min/km - HR 172-176, recover until HR in 120's
    10 min easy
    loved this session. Definately going to run a marathon next autumn. I miss running fast.

My mum is visiting this week which means evening sessions are not possible so it's a morning and lunchtime one each day. Luckily I got a bit ahead of myself last weekend so things are still on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

Just read through your log - f*ck me that's impressive.... Best of luck...

week 10
    Thursday
    rest day - must have trained harder this week because I wasn't as hyper as rest day in week 11

Friday
    Am

easy run: had to get to work somehow
    lunchtime: weights, heavy on the legs today.
    pm: easy bike to get home

Saturday

am long brick: 6:30 bike and 30 min run
    I hated every second of this session. Got up at 6am for a 6:30 start but the fog was too thick and it wasn't bright until about 7am. I was half way through setting up the turbo trainer when I decided to just htfu and got out on the road. I couldn't get my HR up, It rained the whole time I was out and just to compound my misery, I dropped a water bottle and fell off the bike trying to retrieve it. Sore arms and a bump on my hip to show for the fall. It really was one of those days where I wondered why I do this! The run was fun at the end though, unfortunately it only lasted 30 min

Sunday:
    lunchtime:
    3:20 bike, completely different experience to saturday. 105 km in strong winds and very enjoyable. HR a much more sensible 133 on average.

Saturday[/B]
    am It rained the whole time I was out and just to compound my misery, I dropped a water bottle and fell off the bike trying to retrieve it. Sore arms and a bump on my hip to show for the fall. It really was one of those days where I wondered why I do this!

.. to hope to have a good bike ride soon after, as what followed the next day.

week 9 (whoo hoo single digits)
    This week is going to be a tad strange. We're travelling all day on Thursday to get to Dover and I have no idea how long we are going to be there for. Luckily we're driving so I can take the car but I appear to have entered a marathon on Sunday (It was an accident ma lord!) so I'm hoping to get the long bike done on Wednesday afternoon to have a mini taper for the marathon. of course if the weather is good, I'll be on a boat on Sunday but I'll deal with that when I get to it. I also feel like I've a bit of a cold coming on. Filling myself with vit C and Zn just in case.

Monday 1st September
    am
    : long swim
    4 km, mostly made up of 600m repeats. I will be counting sheep in multiples of 24.
    lunchtime: speed run
    10 min wu, 7x800m@4min/km, 10 min cd
    pm: speed bike
    15 min wu; 4x15 high cadence, 4x6min on 2; 4x1 min on 15s; 15 min cd
    I tried to go do a weights session after the bike because I was feeling fresh but the damage to my shoulder from the bike fall on Saturday was making it a bit difficult. Given that I know nothing about anatomy/physiology and Mr HM does, when he told me to stop being a bloody fool and rest, I did.

Tuesday 2nd Sept
    am: speed swim
    3km, mostly made up of 50,75 and 150's
    am: weights
    stuck mostly to leg stuff to avoid any further damage but the shoulder does feel much better today. I have some pretty impressive brusing on my bum though!
    pm: moderate run
    1:45 lost the garmin signal a couple of times in the woods but HR 145 so just where I wanted to be. I can now raise my right arm above my shoulder which is progress.

week 9

I appear to have entered a marathon on Sunday

"I appear ... classic I'm sure you have no idea how it happened. Best of luck with it.

Odysseus wrote: »
    "I appear ... classic I'm sure you have no idea how it happened. Best of luck with it.
    That's pretty much it.

Hi From Dover, Anyone who has seen the weather in the last couple of days, will not be surprised to know that we have not yet had a window to attempt Mr Hunnymonster's channel swim so we are stuck in a mobile home in Dover. It's not much fun to be honest. 14 hours travelling to get here on Thursday, I got out in a gale and rain on Friday (6 hours) and then took yesterday (the tiniest of tapers!). Ran the marathon this morning. It was a figure of eight type route with half of it into strong winds! My main aim was not to get caught up in the race and to keep to HR148. I did that but it looks like I might actually be getting fit because it was good enough to get me 3rd place. Because I was taking it so easy, I also feel completely fresh.

Ran the marathon this morning. It was a figure of eight type route with half of it into strong winds! My main aim was not to get caught up in the race and to keep to HR148. I did that but it looks like I might actually be getting fit because it was good enough to get me 3rd place. Because I was taking it so easy, I also feel completely fresh.

HM - Now you completed the race fresh and you finished 3rd!
    Oh but here did your HR avg 148? If higher no good! (Just kidding)

I'd say you are happy with that. Well done ... again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats on your marathon finish and not even at 100% effort :eek: good stuff

• Advertisement

Congrats great stuff.

Advertisement