Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths ala Text & Tests

Options
  • 16-03-2007 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Does someone studying Higher Level Maths complete the ordinary book completely and then higher level one or do they overlap enough that the whole ordinary book need not be studied from?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I do HL and there's two books for it, one green and one blue. I think the OL is a red book.

I detest those books....learned nothing from em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I am doing HL. Using the Oliver Murphy book. It's not terrible but it's not meant to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Can you give some advice to someone who had to leave school in 5th year due to reasons beyond their control some years ago and now would like too achieve a HC3 in 2007/2008 to gain entry to a degree course? They had studied higher level for the junior cert. Perhaps private grinds, perhaps enrolling for a single class full time? If so, cost aside, what college is the best? Bear in mind this person is 23.

In Higher Level, you only use the Higher Level book. Things come up on the Ordinary Level which don't come up on HL, and vice versa.

Interestingly, you do Simpson's Rule in OL but not in HL (or at least you didn't in 2002!) but I've used it several times in college.
    dusf wrote:
    Can you give some advice to someone who had to leave school in 5th year due to reasons beyond their control some years ago and now would like too achieve a HC3 in 2007/2008 to gain entry to a degree course? They had studied higher level for the junior cert. Perhaps private grinds, perhaps enrolling for a single class full time? If so, cost aside, what college is the best? Bear in mind this person is 23.

It really depends on the person. You could be the type of person who can pick up things quite easily just by reading a section and then doing some equations. Because there are lots of examples in Texts & Tests, some parts can be self explanatory, but others obviously are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Hey there,
    There's 2 leaving HL 'text and tests' books and a seperate one for ordinary level.
    If you're doing higher level you won't need the pass book cause the whole course will be included in the 2 HL books.

The ordinary level course in pretty different with some extra stuff in and some stuff left out so you shouldn't base any study on the pass book.

Whether you can do the course alone or not it really depends on your natural mathsy ability. Some people just click with the stuff.

I'd advice gettinga book and seeing if you can do a section by yourself, there's some really good websites with maths help too if you're ever stuck or post on the maths section here.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks guys :D

I'll get straight to it when my FE course finishes in June.

What about CBT? I've been studying my CCNA and I got my hands on over 20 hours of CBT - they're gold dust, just like being in a class room. I'm sure there are many companies selling CBT for maths but what about Leaving Cert Irish maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

md99 wrote:
    I do HL and there's two books for it, one green and one blue. I think the OL is a red book.

I detest those books....learned nothing from em

yeah there the books my school uses and there useless, what do you reccomend md99 you seem to know something of this maths thingy !

Advertisement