Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best woodstain for panel garden fencing.

Options
  • 16-03-2007 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

It has been suggested to me that most of the outdoor woodstains are aesthetic and don't actually preserve the wood. I know that cresote would do the job but theres no way I am going to use that stuff. Is there any alternative - one that will stain it nicely and not preserve the wood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I personally like Ronseal's Fencelife product. It's water based, so no nasty fumes. You have to apply at least 2 coats to start with, maybe 3 if the wood absorbs a lot, but it goes on really easy and dries quickly too so that's not too much bother.

I did my new shed with it over 2 1/2 years ago, and you can still see the water beading off it when it rains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Alun wrote:
    I personally like Ronseal's Fencelife product
    I wonder is it possible to spray that stuff on with an electric sprayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

baguio wrote:
    I wonder is it possible to spray that stuff on with an electric sprayer?

On http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=57 they say you can .. it goes on really easily with a big fat brush though. Not sure you'd save a whole lot of time, plus you don't have to wait for a wind free day to avoid getting overspray everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ronseal but do NOT buy the 1 coat one (green containers) as it does NOT last 5 years and you still need 2 coats for decent finish so just get the slightly dearer 5 year one. Also do NOT spray if its up as my neighbour got everything sprayed and had to paint the posts etc afterwards,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I always use cuprinolcuprinol Shed & Fence Preserver
    It soaks in really well to rough fence timber and gives it a nice beading/waterproof finish.
    I much prefer the look of this type of oil stain than some of the cheaper varnish/paint effects you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Hi guys,
    I'm about to put solid hardwood driveway gates up when they are made ... They will be
    raw so what would be the best way to stain, preserve them ... I don't mind paying for
    the good stuff ... Any ideas ??

Advertisement