Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.C.D students are semi literate

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Pardon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

too long, didn't read :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=36&si=1796241&issue_id=15387
    It says here he said it on the pat kenny show. Would there be a podcast of that?

too long, didn't read :D

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Tan Princess: I'm not sure. RTÉ have been cutting down on some of the podcasts they've been doing recently. It's worth checking out though. If you find one, can you post a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Blush_01 wrote:
    It's worth checking out though. If you find one, can you post a link?
    It appears only the last 5 programs are available to listen online. So we are two days too late in looking for it now:mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Quite honestly, an awful lot of them are semi-literate, and it's not just the spelling, either.

He does say its not just the spelling, but a larger inability to comprehend (and I presume communicate).

I'd agree tbh. He's not putting any mad % estimates on it, just that theres a lot. IMO, at university level it doesnt take a huge amount of semi-literates in a class for it to be considered a lot or too many (as opposed to, say primary school). Fairly subjective I know, but I bet everyone here can think of maybe 10 people in their course who are semi-literate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smallthing

Place the word "arts" in between "ucd" and "student" n he definately has a point......

Do you speak from experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

smallthing wrote:
    Place the words arts in between "ucd" and "student" n he definately has a point......
    Seriously, it must be an internet rule by now that those who insult others' English have some spelling/grammatical error in their post.

Sangre's Law anyone?

He does say its not just the spelling, but a larger inability to comprehend (and I presume communicate).

I'd agree tbh. He's not putting any mad % estimates on it, just that theres a lot. IMO, at university level it doesnt take a huge amount of semi-literates in a class for it to be considered a lot or too many (as opposed to, say primary school). Fairly subjective I know, but I bet everyone here can think of maybe 10 people in their course who are semi-literate.

I can't. Nor could I in my undergraduate class. I'm probably the only person from my class (past or present) who could feasibly be termed semi-literate, and at that I'd consider you to have insulted me.

Sangre - I can't see why not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Congratulations, you're the exception that proves the rule...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

smallthing wrote:
    Place the words arts in between "ucd" and "student" n he definately has a point......
    yeah, no doubt man. The one course made up almost exclusively of subjects involving huge amounts of reading and writing has the highest proportion of semi-literate students. I also heard the engineers are shít at maths and sure half the vets couldn't tell you the difference between a cat and a dog.

Advertisement