Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emo College project!

Options
  • 16-03-2007 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello all,
    I've been given the task in college of doing a report on a subculture group active within our society, subculture basically meaning a group within a society which goes against mainstream culture (ie mods, goths, etc). I have chosen to do my report on emo culture.
    I would be very appreciative if people would leave comments (constructive ones please!) about how you view this subculture, basically what you think it consists of. I would especially appreciate any replies from people who consider themsleves emo or are called emos. Do you find this term offensive or are you happy to be called it. What do you think defines an emo? If you feel you are wrongly termed an emo, why do you think this is and how do you believe you differ from actual emos. My main aim would be to hear from emos themselves, on how they feel their culture differs from the mainstream. However all comments are welcome.
    Thank you all for reading, I hope to from all of you soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I don't really think you're going to get too many emos in the music forum, I could be wrong though, best of luck with it.

edit: maybe post this the the rock/metal forum instead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    edit: maybe post this the the rock/metal forum instead
    They would be highly insulted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I wouldn't consider myself emo, but I've been told that the music I listen to is 'emo' or could be considered emo. I've been called that a few times because of my music. If people want to call it 'emo', that's fair enough. Things have to have a label these days.

If people want to dress 'emo' that's fine e.g. the straightened hair, the red/black/purple clothes. It looks cool and really suits people sometimes.

What I can't stand is when people actually call themselves emo/goth. I think it's sad and ridiculous to say "I'm a goth" or "Look at me, I'm emo, I'm different".
    It's a form of attention-seeking, in my opinion, even if they don't realise it. It's fine for people to listen to gothic music or dress in dark clothes if that's who they really are, but to do it just to be different and 'rebel' against society is (for lack of a kinder word) pathetic. What you're doing there is not creating an identity for yourself, but following a trend. Get a life, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Go to an MCR gig, and observe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

a group within a society which goes against mainstream culture (ie mods, goths, etc). I have chosen to do my report on emo culture.

Emo's are anything but radical, they conform to their peers as much as D4's or townies etc. and so this whole individualistic/anti-mainstream image they attempt to portray is actually highly ironic. ''Emo'' is a confirmitory identity (fad) and I really fail to see how it is a legitimate unique group or culture.

All in my opinion of course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

"emo" is the modern word for "goth" in the context of teenage fads.

"Emo" is a blanket term to describe stereotype followers of one of the biggest groups of conformists to corporate interests. The others would be "D4 heads" and "skangers". All these groups are spawned out of media hype and marketing, especially in the music and fashion industries.

The interesting thing about emoism is that it is marketed as being "alternative", "different" etc. despite the fact it is simply another conformist group. D4 heads and skangers have MTV while emos have MTV2, the music D4 heads and skangers buy is from major labels and the music emos buy is from major labels, D4 heads and skangers wear certain clothing labels and styles to identify themselves and emos do the same etc.

What defines an emo? An ordinary teenager who, for whatever reason, has chosen to latch onto this particular fad as a way of expressing what they feel is their identity.

I don't think you're going to find many emos who are over 18, however....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I dunno whether I would say they are the modern equivalent of goths. I've found in my experience that a suprising amount of goths come from a background which some would considered disadvantaged in some way or another. e.g. parents divorce just before they hit puberty, they are orphans, close family member dies etc.

On the other hand, my experience of emos is pretty much that they moan for the sake of moaning. They seem to come from ordinary backgrounds (quite often upper middle class) and seem determined to point out all of the problems in the world, without actually getting of their self-obsessed whinging asses and doing something about it.

[/extreme generalisation]

Advertisement