Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Unlimited Rural Broadband

Options
  • 16-03-2007 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Having tried Vodafones 3G broadband and returning it after a week, I’m still looking for broadband….and I think I’ve found a very nice and affordable solution, finally.

I’m thinking of getting skyDSL satellite one way broadband, and using a Three mobile phone with a mobile broadband add-on as the upload modem.

The problem in my eyes with one way satellite was that you’d be paying per min while your on dial up, but with Three, I could just buy an add-on, 100mbs for 6 euro, and not have to be concerned with how much time it’s connected.

So that’s 2megabit/s unlimited broadband in rural areas where the only option is dialup, for 30 euros per month, only a 6 month contract. Free hardware(dish, pci modem etc). Plus 6 euro for the Three mobile broadband.

Apart from the massive lag that would be involved when using the mobile network with a satellite connection, can anybody see any other disadvantages?

Surly no matter how much you download, you’d not go over 100mb upload right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I just thought I'd say that I used to have SkyDSL with 56K and got rid of it becuase the lag wasn't making most pages load faster (noticable on image heavy sites). Its is fine for downloads however and works with Youtube although you might have a buffer problem with some of the bigger movies.

The service from SkyDSL is great and the tech support are very good for handling problems.

Do you know if you are in a good coverage area for 3's service though?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Surly no matter how much you download, you’d not go over 100mb upload right

You are kidding right lol.
    for every 20kbytes downloaded, you will probably have about 1kbyte or thereabout uploaded in TCP Acks etc.

so even if you didnt upload any files, then to download 20GB data, you will upload 1GB

Advertisement