Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radio ,power question

Options
  • 16-03-2007 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Need a little help with something here at the moment ,please :)

I had an Ipod docking device lying around ,so I decided to use it in my van.
    K33164-12294.jpg
    I bought a Ross multi connection cigarette adapter and used it to power the Ipod docking station.
    PRODUIT_225_UNI15.jpg
    I then bought a three port adapter for the cigarette lighter to plug in both the ipod docking station and my gps reciever and to also have an extra point for charging phone etc.
    Everything works fine ,but when I turn the ignition on ,I'm getting a bad clipping .Obviously the power running through the Ipod docker and into the stereo.
    I also started getting a shock when getting out of the van ,so I bought an anti static grounding and it seems to have solved that.
    Is there anything I can do to stop the clipping from the speakers ?? and is what I've done safe ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Safe for you?
    Yup, obiously well low voltage so no prob there,

If it was my system tho that would be a secondary concern to safe for the rig and car :D

The grounding strips should sort you getting shocked problem allright but thats only the result of a fault somewhere. (or just standerd static with nothing to do with the setup)

First thing i would do is take a multimeter to the vans bodywork to see if its being charged from somewhere.

The clipping could be caused by a wiring fault (dodgy loose cable ect) or the initial spike draw of the docking station on startup.

If its the spike causing it Hardwireing the docking stations power to the constant power source (not the ignition one) behind your head unit would prob cut out the clipping out. plus you ould be able to charge the ipod without the engine running :)

Edit: typed too fast and left out letters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks wazdakka for the info ,I was concerned about blowing the arse out of the ipod with ampage. It's only 1amp for the ipod ,so I reduced the fuse in the uniross adapter to 1amp from 1.5amp.

I'm in over my head from here on in ,but does hardwiring the docking station to the van not involve adding a fuse along the line??
    The plug for the Ipod docker was rated at 1amp also.

I'm happy enough with things (remote for the ipod :D ),but having to turn off the radio before I stop or start is a pain in the sphincter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd guess that you're running to many accessories from the same circuit which is resulting in a lack of current to the accessories. If your accessories aren't getting enough current then you will get clipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks crosstownk ,I will have to look into hardwiring so.

Cheers for the help ,
    Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not a great idea to hard-wire in adaptors like that. they tend to overheat if left on for a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement