Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frawley's of Thomas Street to close

Options
  • 16-03-2007 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭

Frawley's of Thomas Street is to close in three months.

One of the few uniquely Dublin names left trading in the city...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Sorry to hear that. Just hope Debenhams don't get to hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A great shop. One a lot of people don't even know about, because it was away from the main shopping areas of the city. Good bargains and stock in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OP, is this definite? :( Frawleys, much like Michael Guineys is always good for a bargain or two :)

It'll be sad if it really is closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

r3nu4l wrote:
    OP, is this definite? :( Frawleys, much like Michael Guineys is always good for a bargain or two :)

It'll be sad if it really is closing.

Yes its true.

Very sad.

In a few months time, unless something happens to change that.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote:
    Yes its true.

Very sad.
    Ah sh1t. There'll be nothing left of dear old Dublin by the time I move back home :( It'll all be the same as Engerland :(
    I used to love my Da tking me to Hector Greys stall at the Ha'penny bridge on a Sunday and to the traders on Thomas Street at Christmas :) Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Flukey wrote:
    A great shop. One a lot of people don't even know about, because it was away from the main shopping areas of the city. Good bargains and stock in there.

Maybe you should have told a few people about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ah crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It's really sad all right... I have good memories of the place from when I was a kid. We used to visit Santa there... one year though Santa was arrested for dipping into handbags!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

That sucks,where am i ment 2 buy random bits and pieces for shoots now!
    Well,im leaving this year anyway,but still,my folks were the ones that put me onto that place for random bits and bobs and they hadnt lived in Dublin for 15 years!
    Is there a reason for closing down? ie. not doing the business or did they just get a good offer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I visited Frawleys a couple of times that thought it was crap tbh.

No bargains, and no efforts to deliver a pleasant shopping experience.

I won't miss it.

Frawleys - for all o' yis :D:D:D Loved that logo

Sad to see it go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

heard about this a few days ago. fond memories of going in for clothes and stuff with my ma and da. got my big tank there for my birthday when i was 9. fecking loved that toy. was big enough to lie on and rip around the street. be sad to see it go as there's feck all places left to get decent gear in if your not loaded but i guess most of its customers are too posh to go there anymore.

cant help wondering what they'll stick in there instead.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I remember Frawleys when I was a kid - think I got my communion outfit there. I've never liked it though, its a kip. Crap clothes (makes Pennys look good) and hasnt changed its layout since 1970 splash.
    I wont miss it.

Maybe you should have told a few people about it :rolleyes:

I often did.
    Bendibus wrote:
    I visited Frawleys a couple of times that thought it was crap tbh.

No bargains, and no efforts to deliver a pleasant shopping experience.

I won't miss it.

It could certainly present itself a bit better. It's not as bright and modern looking as some shops, but there were some good bargains in it. When you see the extortionate prices in some shops (and that's even during a sale), the stuff you'd get in Frawleys was not bad at all. You can shell out a fortune for a label in some shops but get something with very good quality from a not well known brand, and it will last just as good. I've got some good clothes in Frawleys that I got years ago and they are still in good nick. It doesn't have to be a fancy label, brand and price to last. They may not have the most trendy and up to date gear, but if all you want is to get a good shirt or trousers or jacket or whatever, at a good price, then you could do a lot worse than going there.

Well I must admit that the store layout and style is old fashioned but you guys should see the store layouts of 'Next', 'Boots' and others in Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk. Very crazy 1970's and 1980's flooring, ceiling tiles etc. Yet they still have the stock that is sold everywhere else. It looks far less appealing in those stores than in a store fitted-out in a modern fashion!

Also, Frawleys was never meant to be a centre of haute couture, it has always catered to a different market, one with a tighter budget! Back in the late 70's and early 80's that meant most people in Dublin! Thanks to the Celtic Tiger people have a lot more money today but there are still people out there who are going to miss Frawleys!

The store never adapted it's business model to serve the nouveau riche so it suffered. They should have adapted the model to suit the market somewhat but they didn't and perhaps that's why they are calling it a day.

They could have upgraded it a bit alright, though not necessarily going a total radical change. Coming in the door you always felt like you must have been coming into a warehouse or something like that, but it had character too. Guineys has the old world feel to it also. Good products and a good price are more important than having a place all dolled up. So a bit of renovation and re-organising inside would have all that would have been needed. I must drop in there again soon, and see if they have any good stuff.

Aren't we terrible, hovering like vultures, waiting for a closing down sale? :D

Speaking of closing down sales, there is a shop on Liffey that is having one, and let's just say it has been going on for a while now, several years at least. I went in one day and asked one of the fellas if the Guinness Book of Records had been in about their sale. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

Phoned them this morning and they confirmed that they are closing in about 3 months. They don't know anything about a sale as yet but there will be one. I'm really going to miss it as it is the only place in Dublin that does +sizes for men at a reasonable price....

Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Fajitas! wrote:
    Ah crap...
    Yes, but I can't really complain. Despite going to NCAD for 1.5 years I only bought a few small things there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement