Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Routers on one DSL connection?

Options
  • 16-03-2007 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Folks,

After having to move the wireless router into a back bedroom so that a macpro could connect to it via a lan connection(long story re: wireless card.....) I was left having to use the wireless connection for my pc which is close to unusable due to bad/dropped connections. I've since got my hands on a second wireless router and planned on setting it up so that I could use my pc on its lan connection but I'm having a bit of trouble getting this to work. Both routers are plugged into separate phone jacks and work fine individually but not together. Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this? Appreciate any advice...

Lister

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I'll stand corrected but as far as I'm aware it's not actually possible to have more than one router connected to one DSL line (I read it on the net... somewhere - something to do with assigned IP addresses). So it's really a case of either one room or the other.

It's a bit odd that you can't make use out of a standard wireless connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You can't have two modems on the one connection afaik.

Not sure what the solution is short of finding a good spot in the house where you can pick up the wireless signal at a good strength and is also close enough to run some CAT5 back to the Macpro OR buying yourself a wireless access point or something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

steveland? is correct. You can't have 2 DSL modems working on the same phoneline at the same time. You can disconnect the one thats not in use and plug in the other one though, if that suited.

Advertisement