Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL problems

Options
  • 16-03-2007 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Got a problem and was wondering if you could help me out.

The reasons im asking here is as follows:

1) Belkins tech support is a 0845 ( uk number ) which costs a fortune, and the nice indian/pakistani guys on the other end of the phone are ****ing monkeys.
    (example) you need to bridge your modem..... wtf ? Bridge the connection maybe, but that wont do anything for me.

2) Ntl are a bunch of muppets....

Right okay onto the problem so.

Bit of history so ill skim over it quickly..

1. upgraded to broadband max
    2. was only getting 300kbs max
    3. detirmed the old grey modem was not able for it
    4. Got new black one sent out.

Now the old modem was fine to unplug and work on this laptop, and the other, but the new modem will only work with this one.

I installed the crap on the cd al went fine, but got the " limited or no connectivity "

Thought that was a bit strange, so i did some checking. I was not being assigned a ip addy. I thought that was weird, as im using the same cat5e cable. So i gave ntl a ring to see if they could think of a reason. And i was told that each installation CD is locked to one machine, And that i needed a new cd and they would arange a engineer to call round....on the 24th of april....

Now i think this CD lark is a pile of sh1te. So can any of you think why it it wont work with the other laptop?

No onto another problem, Im trying ot setup a belgin 54g wireless router up. IT all goes fine untill it trys to connect to the modem, and says there is no communication between them.( thats where i rang belkin )

The router is working fine, as it was working a few months ago, and all the diagnostics work okay.

Any ideas before i pull my hair out ?

Also this post explains it a bit more http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52921875&postcount=7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Have you tried the routers wireless internet setup wizard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Cant get to that part. because it detects nothing from the modem.

What is actually on the cd?

Just a configueration tool to connect the modem to the router to the pc.

If the router does not detect the router, you have two choices, retry and exit. After the retry you have to exit. And there is no way to skip it. Ive tried searching the cd, but nothing but a autorun is exxecutable

You cant use the Ip address to connect to the router??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if you are using ethernet from the laptops to the router, there should be absolutely no need for any sort of CD or installation. weird, hmmm

Thats what i though, as it should pick up the ip automaticially. The cd is only a driver.

Tried it again this morning. And works with this laptop fine, but with the other i just get limited or no connectivity.

Hook the laptop that doesnt work , up with a wire(ethernet cable) then type in the IP address into the Address bar. tehn use the wireless network wizard from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

are you sure the laptop is working ok?

is it set to DHCP?

also, have you an issue with foreigners or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Did you plug out the ntl modem when you plugged it into belkin?

If not, plug it out and wait for about 5 minutes and plug it back in.

Make sure the belkin wan is set to use DHCP as well.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replys guys.

Ntl rang back this morning and confirmed the problem was that their network was not allowing extra mac address'. It is now sorted now, and the router is working fine.

Again, thanks for the replys.

p/s No i dont have a problem with foreigners. But i just dont see the point of the ones that speak terrible english who work in a job where a great understanding of english is a must.

Advertisement