Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1990 BMW 316 series

Options
  • 16-03-2007 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking an opinion I have just test driven a BMW 316 1990. Although I have been a named driver for 3 years this is my first owned car. I have always loved the boxy look of the '90 316. The car is very clean but the steering feels very very heavy. As Im used to driving a punto with very light power steering and this has none I am just wondering is that the difference I am feeling? Should it feel so heavy? Other than a few minor things eg would want to change the tyres and a service I think shes a lovely car. He wanted 1300 but I managed to get it for 1100 on inspection from my local mechanic. This will happen next tuesday and cash wont be handed over till then. Do you think this is an ok deal for this year/model? Thanks in advance for all replies ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The price sounds okay if its sound, while I won't swear by it I would have though all BMWs would have P/S by 1990, it could be a ball joint is part seized.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Had one of these myself, great little car but the 2 door / saloon doesn't have power stearing , but the Touring (estate) model does.

I had a 2 door and the touring and I found the 1.6 a little wanting in the touring but was't too bad in the 2 door. Great car, I hope to own an E30 325XI at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it does have PAS then the pump maybe knackered or the PAS hydraulic fluid might need changing.

Definately mention it to your mechanic for him to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

mike65 wrote:
    The price sounds okay if its sound, while I won't swear by it I would have though all BMWs would have P/S by 1990, it could be a ball joint is part seized.

Mike.

Cheers Mike for responding so quick Ill mention this to my mechanic about the ball joint, fingers crossed it aint seized. If it is seized do you know if its hard to fix or even worth my while?

bazz26 wrote:
    If it does have PAS then the pump maybe knackered or the PAS hydraulic fluid might need changing.

Definately mention it to your mechanic for him to check.

Hope the pumps not knackered it would be sweet if it was just the fluid. Is the pump easy/expensive to change?

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote:
    Had one of these myself, great little car but the 2 door / saloon doesn't have power stearing , but the Touring (estate) model does.

No PAS! :eek: A 316i at its best. :)

peepsbates wrote:
    Hope the pumps not knackered it would be sweet if it was just the fluid. Is the pump easy/expensive to change?

See KTRIC's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's no power steering on a '90 E30 316i. So that's good news :)
    bazz26 wrote:
    No PAS! :eek: A 316i at its best. :)

There were very few cars with PAS back then afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you have always driven cars with power steering and switch to one without you're in for a shock when you try parking or other low speed maneouvring! The steering will feel extremely heavy. However at anything above 10 mph or so the steering should feel only a little heavier than power steering would.

edit: I have just checked a magazine from November 1990. EVERY 3 series had power steering as standard then. Knowing this, I'd be suspicious that there may be a problem with your 3 series

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    edit: I have just checked a magazine from November 1990. EVERY 3 series had power steering as standard then

I don't think the E30 did have PAS as standard (except perhaps high end models - I know an '86 M3 has PAS), though all E36 cars (from '91) did

My dad's newly bought, bog standard, only option metallic paint, pre-face lift '91 Audi 80 1.6 with a spectacular 71BHP did have PAS, which, apart from anything else, made a huge difference when towing

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    I don't think the E30 did have PAS as standard (except perhaps high end models - I know an '86 M3 has PAS), though all E36 cars (from '91) did
    Perhaps UK cars had it but Irish market cars didn't?! According to What Car magazine from Nov 1990, every UK E30 had standard power steering at that time, even the base model 316i 2 door. You'd have paid £690 for ABS and £350 for a catalytic converter though!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

BrianD3 wrote:
    You'd have paid £350 for a catalytic converter though!

imagine paying to go even slower!

colm_mcm wrote:
    imagine paying to go even slower!
    In your Ultimate Driving Machine!

....with windey windows

unkel wrote:
    There were very few cars with PAS back then afaik

My father had a 1988 Nissan Bluebird 1.6 litre (don't laugh) and it had PAS as standard. Would not have cost a fraction of the price of a 316i at the time either. More typically it was probably an optional extra on the 3 Series that the first owner could not afford.

Things haven't really changed. look at the 3 series option list - items that are standard on 20-25,000 euro cars are there.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Things haven't really changed. look at the 3 series option list - items that are standard on 20-25,000 euro cars are there.

In fairness they have improved since BMW took over distribution themselves a couple of years ago but it is true that some things standard on other cars are still options. Incidently I saw a 2006 318i the other day and it had plastic wheel trim. :eek:

BrianD3 wrote:
    If you have always driven cars with power steering and switch to one without you're in for a shock when you try parking or other low speed maneouvring! The steering will feel extremely heavy. However at anything above 10 mph or so the steering should feel only a little heavier than power steering would.

edit: I have just checked a magazine from November 1990. EVERY 3 series had power steering as standard then. Knowing this, I'd be suspicious that there may be a problem with your 3 series

yea i found parkin it a nightmare, drivin along though it did loosen up a fair bit.
    ive been driving a punto for 3 yrs on city steering(so light you could turn by just lookin at the wheel:eek: ) so im hoping thats why it feels so heavy for me. the car also has a new fule pump and battery.

thanks again for all the replies lads;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Jesus I drove one of those puntos in city mode and it's ultra ultra light. Even if the BMW had pas it would still be much heavier than the Punto!!

Advertisement