Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD resolution

Options
  • 16-03-2007 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi just got a new Samsung 32" LCD HD TV 720p. Having some issues with the resolution and quality when running windows XP watching movies using my PVR card. The quality isnt the best not crisp, anyone any ideas on how to improve this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Is it running in its native Resolution?
    the blurred picture could be interpolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

Yeah resolution is good, but the picture just doesnt seem clear could this be the connection? if I open a word doc the text doesnt seem sharp

is it a VGA connection?

Yep

Make sure you dont have cleartype/text turned on with VGA as my LCD is VGA aswell and it blurs the outline of text pink.

• Advertisement

how do you turn off cleartype/text?

Right click on desktop->properties->apperence->effects->2nd tick box from top.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MoreBeer

What resolution have you selected on your PC? It sounds like the screen is interpolating and not operating in its native resolution. I don't have a 32" screen so I don't know how sharp it could be.A lot of people I know using 17" screens are operating on a resolution of 1024 x 768. Horribly soft! Changing this to 1280 x 1024 results in a much sharper picture. (The native resolution of a 17" LCD screen is 1280 x 1024). Try different resolution settings on your PC and note the results. It's like watching HD on an LCD TV that is not a True HD TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

If you can , connect using the DVI connection on your graphics card , ( if it has one of course ) , use a DVI to HDMI connection ,( 16€ from komplett ) the picture will be much sharper , the samsung should be able to handle it no problem , I think most have 2 HDMI's.

If your graphics card has a DVI then in the driver utility you should see an option to set a custom res., in there somewhere ( on all nvidia and ati driver utilities) is an option for HDTV outputs , set to 720p and 1366 x 768 , or as close to that as you can , and you should notice a major improvement.

Most modern 32 inch HDTV's have a 1366 x 768 resolution , this means a small bit of scaling to 720p ( 1280 x 720 ) , I have a panasonic 32 inch myself and have a media centre pc connected to it using DVI/HDMI.
    Picture quality on modern panasonics , samsungs , LG's , sharps , etc are very very good and most scale well , so there should be no issues getting a sharp picture using the right connection.

HDMI/DVI is miles better than VGA which after all is analog.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

And this has precisely what to do with Satellite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nothing. Moved to Computer Graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Try a different refresh rate I find sometime on my pc if I change the refresh rate its blurry!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement