Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wake on lan/sleep on lan

• 17-03-2007 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Ok, Does anybody know the ports used for wake on LAN?

I'm able to bring my PC out of sleep mode using my PSP with wake on LAN,
    I used to use the internet browser in the PSP to connect to a port on my pc and have a program on my PC put the PC into sleep.
    But now I want it to sleep on a magic packet when windows is running and wake on magic packet when it is not?!

also does anybody know a program that can sleep on a magic packet?

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tjsniper

any budy hazard a guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

To get your PC to wake up using WoL, its Network Card needs to support it. If the network card is integrated into the PC motherboard, then check the BIOS settings for WoL, it is probably disabled. If your network card is a seperate PCI card added to the PC, if it supports WoL, it will have a WoL connector on it, if the motherboard supports WoL it will have a corresponding connector. Get a WoL cable and connect the network card to the board if this is the case. The reason for the connector is to supply power to the NIC when the PC is off.

Now, assuming you have the above all sorted, you use a programme to send the Magic Packet containing your PC's Network Card's MAC address to the Network Broadcast Address, and your PC will boot. Their are websites you can go to where you can key in your NIC's MAC address, and your public IP address and it will generate and send the packet to your network provided you setup your firewall to forward the packets to your network broadcast address.

The ports used by WoL are UDP port 7, 8 or 9 IIRC.

I have wake on LAN set up i'm just looking for what ports it uses for a little project of mine.

anyways thanks for the help it saved me a lot of time as when i looked on google i got some people saying this and that and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

The wikipedia article says port 0 was historically used but 7 and 9 are becoming the most common:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_on_lan

Surprisingly, I couldn't find any program that will make a computer sleep or shut down on receipt of a magic packet. Those I found offering remote shutdown do so through ssh (Linux), ARD (Apple), or RDP (Windows).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Advertisement

ive actually made my own out of madness!

my psp was using port 60000 ??

anyway i might change my program to allow you to specifiy a port and give it away to people who want it.

anyways thanks for your help everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irekzielinski

There is a freeware application called SleepOnLan that needs to run on your Windows PC and will allow you to put your PC to sleep (or shutdown) remotely (via WWW browser): http://www.ireksoftware.com/SleepOnLan/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The original hollywood wake on lan

Advertisement