Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New BMW - Electrics

Options
  • 17-03-2007 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

My friend's mom recently got a new 325 Coupe.....but the dealer won't fit the transponder for their gates to the headlights because the part wasn't made by BMW and it's not allowed.

The gate company can't fit it because they've never seen a system wired like it...what are the options....

Ned or Junkyard maybe??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Missed this thread, so sorry it took so long to reply. Without knowing what the transponder needs in terms of an electrical feed, and how it's to be placed, it's very hard to offer an opinion on this. Can you give us some more info on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

most of the wiring system on the new cars are controlled by the computer and are multiplex, the reason nobody will go near them. The smallest mistake will cost you a fortune to fix and it might (i'll say for sure) invalidate the warranthy on the car.
    Now if you were an auto electrician, will you do a job like that?

There must be another way of doing this without going near the original system.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

louie wrote:
    There must be another way of doing this without going near the original system.

Getting out and opening the gates the old way? :D

Only joking. I agree, I would not interfer wth the car's electrics since it voids the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

BMW have a transponder available which can learn from other transponders - might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I should have mentioned that they had one fitted to an S-Class Last year so it would seem to be a BMW specific problem from what the gate company said....

On the particular road it would be kinda dangerous to have to get out in a car that length and code it(I do it but my car's almost half the length)

kdevitt - will mention that but shouldn't the dealer know this sort of thing considering the type of price range BMW sell in many of their customers will have security gates!

edit: AFAIK ned, the power comes from a direct connection to the battery operated from the headlight relay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK there is an option of a universal remote for gates, garages etc on the 3 series. A bit late now, but she should have ordered that. You could ask whether it could be retrofitted by the dealer, or look it up online. Try www.e90post.com/forums

cheers Anan

Well, there is a universal remote pretty much available for all BMWs, it's built into the rear view mirror, BUT, there is another route you can take. Yes, the BMW's now rely on a MOST and CANBUS system of Single Wire, and Fibre Optics to connect the control units, but you can still wire things in traditionally too if you need. Now this WILL screw with your warranty a little bit, but it should only affect the warranty on the systems it's tapped off from. For example, tapping into the headlight shouldn't affect warranty claims on the gearbox.

What I do, is I have an installer with a hefty insurance policy. He's gifted with it comes to Automotive Electronics in the first place, and has a great grasp of advanced systems, but if something goes wrong as a result of something he's done (Which has yet to happen), he can use his own policy to cover costs. Perhaps you should discuss this with your Dealer, and see if they have someone similar.

Ideally, retrofit the Universal Remote Control. It's very neat indeed, and won't affect warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The device everyine is talking about is the "HomeLink" rear view mirror. It is essentially a remote control with three programmable buttons that can "learn" to control from other remotes.
    There is a guy in Dublin selling one at the minute on E-Bay:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/BMW-5-SERIES-AUTO-DIM-MIRROR-HOMELINK_W0QQitemZ270099281424QQcategoryZ10374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Of course you could get this from a Main Dealer too as it's an OEM BMW part. If it was my car & I had remote electric gates this is the way I would be controling it, neat and tidy.

There is also one that has a built in digital compass, I fiitted this to my e39 and the install was easy, you do not need any tools, there is no wiring required. PM me for install guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

BMW dealers will not fit ( or allow by a 3rd party) a nokia car kit to be fitted to any new BMWs... They say if one is fitted by a 3rd party it will void the warrenty on the car... basically it's a way of forcing you to buy their "blue tooth car kit" option when your getting the car.

Any compident Auto electrican would be easily able to fit the transmitter for you, but BMW might insist that it voids the warrenty of the car!!

The BMW interior mirror with the JCI "Home link" device would be the way to go, if there is one available for your vehicle, and the dealer is willing to fit it... The dealer might need to re-code the mirror as alot of the mirrors have the RKE reciever in them.

• Advertisement

BMW dealers will not fit ( or allow by a 3rd party) a nokia car kit to be fitted to any new BMWs... They say if one is fitted by a 3rd party it will void the warrenty on the car... basically it's a way of forcing you to buy their "blue tooth car kit" option when your getting the car.

That's news to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ned78 wrote:
    That's news to me!

Hi Ned,

I was kinda supprised too! but 2 sales rep's who came into work told me, they both got new BMW's during last summer and wanted to have Nokia kits fitted and the dealer supplying the car said it would void the warrenty, hence they had to get the intergrated blue tooth solution... they did say the intergrated blue tooth was nice..

ned78 wrote:
    That's news to me!

I've heard that too...local dealer told above buyer that they had fitted new (non-run flat) tyres to a new 5 series and mentioned it to a visiting BMW rep.

Had to call the customer on the spot and get him to come back to have the original tyres re-fitted

Advertisement