Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal guardanship

Options
  • 17-03-2007 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I want to have legal guardianship of my little girl. Myself and the Mother of my girl are seperated because we grew apart.

I love my little girl and she loves her dad. I am a very responsible parent as is her Mum, we get on fine but I am always worried that one day she will pack her bags and decide to do what is best for herself ie: leave for America with my girl. She has a sister over there and I have a feeling that New York is an attractive option to her.

Lately knowing her as I do she layed out her plan well in advance saying that she would take my girl to NY for a week. She always softens her actions this way to test my reaction, I did not reply.

This makes me want to apply for legal guardianship to give her less control over this decision I believe that her actions in that event would be selfish in that she would believe that taking my little girl away from her dad would benefit her more for herself and consequently my girl which in my view is wrong, I am a responsible father and believe that my girl needs her dad.

I have read posts here and it looks like I have a good chance of getting guardianship, However I am fearfull of going that route for obvious reasons, going to court scares me, and I don't want to upset the status quo.

What it comes down to is this, should I go for guardianship now to prevent her possibly taking my girl out of my life and possibly causing ructions in the short term. Or should I sit tight untill she announces 'hey we are moving thousands of miles away and if you try to stop us then you are being selfish' which will be the argument.

If I let it lie as is and it comes down to the wire so to speak ie: if she has a passport for my girl and is set to leave and I don't have guardianship rights then what rights will I have to stop her or will it be to late by then?

This is a scenario, one which I see happening because I know her so well, It worries me and my heart will be broken if I don't do something now. Thanks for any replies.

Ps, My name is on the cert and I pay heating bills and I pay maintenance and I am saving for her education to.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

AFAIR you can get guardianship without having to go to court.
    For you daughters sake its best for you to become guardian aswell as the mother in case something happens. i.e. if she was in an accident with the mother a guardian will have to give permission to do any operations etc.
    Just discuss things with your ex and tell her you want to become a guardian in case anything ever happened and if she is in agreement then pop into a solicitor and sort t out legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Cheers, I discussed this briefly very early on in the (ex) relationship with her, and got a negative response, she became very defensive.

I left it at that. I wanted guardianship on principle to feel more recognized as a parent. She would not recognize that. I know I can pressure her for guardianship, believe me that is what it will take. Any attempt at guardianship will be seen as a threat to her. Which makes me suspect that she is keeping her own needs as a priority and to me that seems to be the bottom line.

If I wait untill the last minute as I stand ie: hoping that I'm wrong and she is getting on a plane to leave the next day where would I stand on preventing the emigration? And worse still if she totally decieves me into believing that it is only a weeks holiday when it is permanent, what then, where do I stand?

I feel I should act now and go to court if neccessary or am I just another over protective parent?

Thanks and sorry for the complications but it's never easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Depends on the relationship between the three of you.

If your ex (why ex? you sound like you suit each other?) thought that you would take good care of the little one if anything happened to her, she might be all for co-guardianship.

If she's suspicious and defensive, well, does she have a reason for this? Not attacking you, just asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Are you legally separated? Doesnt that mean you have rights because you were married?

If you are not married to her you dont have a chance of stopping her, however if you are you can have her arrested.

What makes you suspect this is more than a vacation? It hardly seems like a plausible plan for them to live in NYC as illegal aliens, which is what they would both be. Whats she going to do work for $2 an hour in bar as a single mother and no rights whatsover putting her and her child at risk?

Im sorry but that makes NO SENSE.

luckat wrote:
    Depends on the relationship between the three of you.

If your ex (why ex? you sound like you suit each other?) thought that you would take good care of the little one if anything happened to her, she might be all for co-guardianship.

If she's suspicious and defensive, well, does she have a reason for this? Not attacking you, just asking.

No reason at all, I think we are both new to the whole process and as it is early days I believe we are both treading lightly. I am really looking for feedback from experience etc to try to cover all angles and know where I stand in possible situations which may or may not arise.
    Your right to ask the question I have heard some bad stories of exs etc but it is not the case here at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

..you can get guardianship without having to go to court..
    Only if the current legal guardian agrees; otherwise a court order is required. Having said that, assuming there is nothing untoward in your background, such an application is likely to succeed.
    however if you are you can have her arrested
    Only if you can establish that there was an attempt to abduct the child.
    rights because you were married
    I think it's safe to say that the couple were not married - otherwise both parents would have guardianship and the OP would not now be concerned with seeking guardianship.
    pressure her for guardianship
    You don't need to do that - all it requires is a court application.
    My name is on the cert
    Makes no difference in regards to guardianship.

So, here's my advice for what its worth - make an application for guardianship of your daughter; speak to your former partner first and let her know what you are doing. You can also point out that it is most unlikely that a court will refuse your application.

While you are at it, get a court order to regularise your current maintenance payment (don't understand why you are paying heating bills?); it is better to have maintenance formally documented under court order. If things change for you in the future it is quite easy to apply for a variation order.

However, here's the thing - supposing the shoe was on the other foot and you had family in the US? perhaps there's a parent seriously ill? or a career opportunity arises? or your company transfers you?

How would you feel about someone getting a court order to prevent you from moving? How would you feel about being forced to stay somewhere and unable to be with a parent for the last few months of their life? Or losing a job because you couldn't accept the transfer?

Make sure that what you want to do is for the right reasons.

Are you legally separated? Doesnt that mean you have rights because you were married?

If you are not married to her you dont have a chance of stopping her, however if you are you can have her arrested.

What makes you suspect this is more than a vacation? It hardly seems like a plausible plan for them to live in NYC as illegal aliens, which is what they would both be. Whats she going to do work for $2 an hour in bar as a single mother and no rights whatsover putting her and her child at risk?

Im sorry but that makes NO SENSE.

No we were never married. I suppose I'm suspicious and cautious because of what's at stake ie my daughter and I could well be wrong but at the same time if the situation did arise I would like to be one step ahead and informed.

I am not aware of the process of getting a visa for a single parent (with a degree) I presume it is not impossible, at the same time I never considered the illegal alien scenario and I'm sure as you say it would make no sense, she's thankfully not a stupid person and wouldn't go this route.

So the bottom line you reckon is that I have no say whatsoever in my daughters life in the event of a conflict of interest arising?
    Even if I had legal guardianship and have plenty of evidence of lots of access, maintenance, bill, and equipment payment etc?

Kildrought wrote:
    Only if the current legal guardian agrees; otherwise a court order is required. Having said that, assuming there is nothing untoward in your background, such an application is likely to succeed.

Only if you can establish that there was an attempt to abduct the child.

I think it's safe to say that the couple were not married - otherwise both parents would have guardianship and the OP would not now be concerned with seeking guardianship.

You don't need to do that - all it requires is a court application.

Makes no difference in regards to guardianship.

So, here's my advice for what its worth - make an application for guardianship of your daughter; speak to your former partner first and let her know what you are doing. You can also point out that it is most unlikely that a court will refuse your application.

While you are at it, get a court order to regularise your current maintenance payment (don't understand why you are paying heating bills?); it is better to have maintenance formally documented under court order. If things change for you in the future it is quite easy to apply for a variation order.

However, here's the thing - supposing the shoe was on the other foot and you had family in the US? perhaps there's a parent seriously ill? or a career opportunity arises? or your company transfers you?

How would you feel about someone getting a court order to prevent you from moving? How would you feel about being forced to stay somewhere and unable to be with a parent for the last few months of their life? Or losing a job because you couldn't accept the transfer?

Make sure that what you want to do is for the right reasons.
    Thankyou that is very constructive advice. I pay heating bills because I offered to so that she would use the heating and be comfortable without stressing over the bill.

I wouldn't block her out of spite and would look into every reason for a move and choose the solution which would be best for all according to said situation would have to be a really good one though.

Deliverance,

I can understand your concern but you may be over anticipating here worrying without cause. Be careful not to scare her and give her reason to want to leave the country!

Also, I am from NYC and I can inform you of the laws and how it works with these things . Its a different system and complex system.

First of all, for peace of mind, I think you should just ask her for guardianship. And if she says no, just apply through the courts. Dont even bother having a huge debate. You know you'll get it so you may as well do it. So if something does happen to her, you can have some control over the destiny of your child.

Why wouldnt she give it to you?

Anything other than a tourist visa is really tough these days, although depending on her sister's status she may be able to get "sponsorship". Check the department of state website for more details on this.

Should she start residing here and setting up residency then you will have to deal with the NY state courts. If she is illegal then she will just be shipped back to Ireland with your daughter. If your daughter becomes a resident then it gets complicated with international law and who's supersceded whos law. NY state courts dont like disrupting the childs life, strongly disapprove of kids out of wedlock, despise absentee fathers, and will quite happily throw a man in prison for not paying maintenance. So be careful.

In the event that they do reside legally in the US, you would have to petition her for custodial rights and she would probably counter petition you for child support. You would have to establish paternity and I think they accept a birthcert as sufficient.

Obviously if they are illegals then they will just be deported.

I will send you some links. But dont get histrionic - keep some perspective. And NYC is a great place for kids.

Deliverance,

I can understand your concern but you may be over anticipating here worrying without cause. Be careful not to scare her and give her reason to want to leave the country!

Also, I am from NYC and I can inform you of the laws and how it works with these things . Its a different system and complex system.

First of all, for peace of mind, I think you should just ask her for guardianship. And if she says no, just apply through the courts. Dont even bother having a huge debate. You know you'll get it so you may as well do it. So if something does happen to her, you can have some control over the destiny of your child.

Why wouldnt she give it to you?

Anything other than a tourist visa is really tough these days, although depending on her sister's status she may be able to get "sponsorship". Check the department of state website for more details on this.

Should she start residing here and setting up residency then you will have to deal with the NY state courts. If she is illegal then she will just be shipped back to Ireland with your daughter. If your daughter becomes a resident then it gets complicated with international law and who's supersceded whos law. NY state courts dont like disrupting the childs life, strongly disapprove of kids out of wedlock, despise absentee fathers, and will quite happily throw a man in prison for not paying maintenance. So be careful.

In the event that they do reside legally in the US, you would have to petition her for custodial rights and she would probably counter petition you for child support. You would have to establish paternity and I think they accept a birthcert as sufficient.

Obviously if they are illegals then they will just be deported.

I will send you some links. But dont get histrionic - keep some perspective. And NYC is a great place for kids.
    She has no reason whatsover not to give it to me which raises my alarm bells. My ex is very well read and incredibly inteligent and I am sure that she is aware of the issues that you have raised. Unlike me I would say compared to her I am moderate, I just know her ways and every instinct is telling me that this is a possible scenario which could happen.

I am going to try for legal guardianship again, as I have done before in the same way as suggested with an initial negative response in the hope that this time some thought has been put in, but to be honest I don't think she will go for it, I say that in fear of proving my initial fears right ie: she wants an unfair amount of control meaning that she has open plans which are at the end of the day selfish.

NYC I probably agree would be a great place for kids but is it a substitute for a father? That's my whole point. Oh and the 'Histrionics' no worries I am actually very logical in my approaches and take all valuable information on board. Thank you for your reply it is another take on the issue which I will take on board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 C x

You know you'll get it so you may as well do it............dont be so sure.
    Things have a fuuny way of changing.
    I know more people that have gone to court with the same attitude and have left very dissapointed.

Did you ask your ex what reasons she has for refusing?

I think there is a mix up here with guardianship and access. Guardianship is not going to stop you from letting them go on a weeks holiday to NY.
    I really wouldnt be so up in arms about guardianship as it has nothing to do with your acess whatsoever. Its a seperate issue.

Its obvious your child has a passport which you would of had to signature also.

If you refuse to let your ex go on hoidays under an access order the she can go to court under emergency and be granted the time.

Be very sure what it is you are trying to achieve here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

C x wrote:
    Y

Its obvious your child has a passport which you would of had to signature also.

If you refuse to let your ex go on hoidays under an access order the she can go to court under emergency and be granted the time.

Be very sure what it is you are trying to achieve here.

If he isn't a guardian he doesn't/wouldn't have had to sign the passport application. That is only necessary if he is guardian. Been there myself!

Guardianship doesn't really matter if she is going to take the child out of the country on holidays. She could go to court and it would be hard to defend not bringing the child on holidays.

However if it was a permanent move and you could prove it, she would have to defend that to.

Some mothers do get very defensive when asked for guardianship. Again I know this from experience. Mines was actually granted without the mother being in court, mainly because of delays and her not being there on other days the case was to be heard. Eventually had to go ahead without her or the case would have been thrown out. I suppose it helped that I agreed to a maintenance order that day to. If the mother was uncomfortable with it she could have appealed it.

Guardianship, although not very important on day to day matters is very important if you disagreed on a education/health/residence matters. You would have the right to go to a judge and defend your side of the story which would be decided on by the judge.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Not prying here Deliverance but why do you think the move would be permanent?

She does have a sister there so maybe it is just to visit her. She would have to tell you well in advance as for most people it is a holiday that they would have to plan well in advance.

Sometimes when in situations like this, especially where she won't grant you guardianship voluntarily, people can get a bit paranoid.

Not getting at you, have been there myself.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Not prying here Deliverance but why do you think the move would be permanent?

She does have a sister there so maybe it is just to visit her. She would have to tell you well in advance as for most people it is a holiday that they would have to plan well in advance.

Sometimes when in situations like this, especially where she won't grant you guardianship voluntarily, people can get a bit paranoid.

Not getting at you, have been there myself.
    Thanks for the added advice (including C x), that is the kind of feedback I am looking for, the reason I asked for advice on this thread was to be well informed in the event of things changing and of course the initial reaction of my ex.
    My main motivation for legal guardianship is the principal, I want recognition as her Dad beyond the unwritten agreement between myself and my ex, my ex was stressed by my initial attempt at going for legal guardianship possibly because she did not understand what it was about and I backed off because I did not want to cause her stress, she has had enough already for reasons I will not go into, not to do with myself.

Their is a bit of 'paranoia' on my part about her leaving for good with my daughter, it is a possiblility though, things do change that is life and that is another reason for me to apply.

I would just like to be in a position to deal with this possibility in a proper way based on the situation and experience of others experience, which I do not have and I appreciate the feedback so far.

As things are progressing we are getting on well and the access is suiting us both it is pretty much 50 / 50, I find it ironic myself to be here like this now as a part time single parent, never thought it would happen. But like I said that is life things change and you get on.

She is the best mum a girl could have and I trust her in that respect 100%, she has 'told' me the school options route which our girl will go and it is the same route I would choose, a very good confidence building one, I have saved a lot of money for it already.

Being a man of the world and having a lot of experience in a lot of different matters I just know that it is best to be prepared for all eventualities, I have been given some great advice from members on this thread and it has helped a lot.
    Never felt like you were getting at me either 'Seanies', just appreciated the honest feedback, Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Deliverance, legal guardianship is realistically limited in its scope and it should not be confused with custody. Typically, in situations where the father is involved, mothers will oppose it mainly because they will see it as a loss of control. Where this can be an issue is in cases such as where she may choose to take the child out of the country, raise the child in a particular fashion (e.g. she decides to join a cult and raise the child within that) or emigrate.

Another issue that fathers without legal guardianship never seem to think about is in the event of the mother’s death, custody of the child would fall upon the mother’s family - which can sometimes prove disastrous. Outside of that it makes little practical difference.

On the other side of the coin, she does have a right to pursue her own life and happiness. As wrong as it may be for her to go to another country with your daughter, it is also wrong for you to be forcing her to live her life subject to your choice to remain here. Also, if she has better opportunities in the US, this too could benefit your daughter (I’m assuming that she’s actually go real opportunities and not simply going over illegally to work).

I do think that as an active and involved father you should seek guardianship. At the very least you’ve earned that much and it is some form of protection against the worst-case scenarios that I’ve mooted. However you should also consider the wishes and future of the mother as well as the possible, positive, impact on your daughter. So talk to the mother and discuss a compromise - your daughter could live with you some of the year and the rest with her mother, for example.

But do seek legal guardianship; there is no valid reason for you not to do so from what you’ve told us. Indeed, there are good reasons to seek it.

Not all mothers see guardianship as a type of control. You dont know her reasons for refusing this.
    Tbh I think you should enjoy what you have : 50/50 acess. Alot of fathers wouldnt get near this outside of marriage.

You can discuss guardianship another time with her. Its not a huge thing apart from one or two points Corinthian made.

C x wrote:
    Not all mothers see guardianship as a type of control. You dont know her reasons for refusing this.
    The only other reason I can see is that the mother does not consider him a deserving father, which does not appear to be the case here. Nonetheless he should attempt to discuss it with the mother before taking any action.
    Tbh I think you should enjoy what you have : 50/50 acess. Alot of fathers wouldnt get near this outside of marriage.
    I disagree as he is, according to his accounts of things here, an admirable father and so easily deserves the right to be a legal guardian to his own child. Simply arguing that maintaining the status quo is preferable, presumably, so as not to upset the mother would be an offensive suggestion at the very least.

He’s a father, not a free baby-sitter and ATM for the mother.
    You can discuss guardianship another time with her. Its not a huge thing apart from one or two points Corinthian made.
    Except he is facing the real possibility that one of those points very will actually occur making it all the more advisable that he does.

Remember, if he is right and she does plan to emigrate, I’m not suggesting that he tries to stop her. However, as a legal guardian he will have more of a say in his daughters future than he would if he was simply relying upon the whims of someone who appears to be willing to act with little concern for his wishes.

C x wrote:

I did say in my post that some mothers see it as a threat or maybe a control thing, not all, even though that was my personal experience. Both sides, mothers and fathers, are ll-informed on it. Fathers often think it's more important than it really is and some mothers think its more important than it really is.

Going on the fact that Deliverance has 50/50 access then there should be no reason not to get it. He is involved in the day to day life of the child as it is, guardianship is not a day to day thing.He can try to explain why he is looking for it and his ex can say why she doesn't what to give it, but if there is no agreement, he has a right in the childs best interest to get it. By giving 50/50 access the mother obviously trusts the father regarding the childs welfare.

Guardianship would be very important if they where to emigrate. The father would have a right to go to court, both sides would have there say and an independent third party, the judge, could decide on the issue.

Also, the issue raised by The Corinthian of the mother's death, God forbid, is very important. Your ex's grandparents would have more of a say over your child than you, despite your 50/50 access etc. It's also important that the child knows that the father is involved in decisions on the child life.

Sometimes a childs best interest in the long run is more important than a mothers or indeed fathers feelings.

The only other reason I can see is that the mother does not consider him a deserving father, which does not appear to be the case here. Nonetheless he should attempt to discuss it with the mother before taking any action.

I disagree as he is, according to his accounts of things here, an admirable father and so easily deserves the right to be a legal guardian to his own child. Simply arguing that maintaining the status quo is preferable, presumably, so as not to upset the mother would be an offensive suggestion at the very least.

Except he is facing the real possibility that one of those points very will actually occur making it all the more advisable that he does.

Remember, if he is right and she does plan to emigrate, I’m not suggesting that he tries to stop her. However, as a legal guardian he will have more of a say in his daughters future than he would if he was simply relying upon the whims of someone who appears to be willing to act with little concern for his wishes.
    Thanks to Corinthian for a very perceptive and intelligent reply. There is a feeling of being a babysitter more so than a Father.
    There is definately a control issue which slightly disturbs me. Why would a mother refuse guardianship when the benifits of guardianship in the relationship is a good thing.

I want to have at the end of the day a real input into my daughters life one that is recognised at all levels on principle and this includes being recognised by law.

If I felt for a moment that she would be better off in another country without her dad then that would be ok. However the benefit would not be for my girl it would be for her Mum if that came to be.
    So taking a child away from her dad who has had and will have a great good influence in their life to me is wrong.
    I care for my little girl and adore her, her best interests are my priority. Can't say much more than that. Thanks again for replys.

Your original post was that you wanted guardianship so that your ex wouldnt take your child away for good even though a holiday was only suggested.

You need to be more clear about why you want it.

As i said there is obviously a reason why she is refusing and you need to find out what it is so your not shocked if you did go to court.

Best of Luck with everything.

• Advertisement

Well if he is involved on a 50/50 access basis for the child, there should be no reason why guardianship shouldn't be granted.

C x wrote:
    Your original post was that you wanted guardianship so that your ex wouldnt take your child away for good even though a holiday was only suggested.
    A holiday was only suggested, but the OP has what he believes to have reasonable grounds to think otherwise.
    You need to be more clear about why you want it.
    Because of the perceived danger of emigration, but also because he's a father and not a babysitter and should be recognized as such - he's actually been fairly clear in this regard.
    Seanies32 wrote:
    Well if he is involved on a 50/50 access basis for the child, there should be no reason why guardianship shouldn't be granted.
    There's almost certainly a reason, the question is whether it's a reasonable one.

There's almost certainly a reason, the question is whether it's a reasonable one.

Exactly. If the OP has 50/50 access and responsibility in the childs everyday life, a judge is going to find it extremely difficult not to award guardianship.

This thread has alleviated my thinking so much as a newcomer to my situation. As things stand myself and my ex are working together really well and my daughter is very happy and confident, and that is the main thing, we are both good parents who put her first we both love her very much.

From what I have researched and understood so far. I don't think that any good father should have to be treated on principle as a none legal guardian on the basis of marriage and therefore put in a position of guilty untill proven innocent which seems to be the unfortunate precedence.

Every person that replied to this thread contributed and was very much appreciated, including the PM's. Thank you all for informed and intelligent advice from all.

There was a thread a month or so back where me and I think it might have been Corinthian was making the same point about guardianship. If you are unmarried you are guilty until proven innocent.

Of course, there would be issues that would need to be ironed out if it was changed, but generally I think it's a good principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

That really depends on the mother!
    Remember child minders cost lost of money and she needs some time for herself to socialize etc..

There are mothers out there will only keep the father around as long as she can milk money out of them. There are some who will change their behavior aggressively as soon as they are threatened by loss of control over their children lives.

On a night out for work, I have overheard one particular mother (next table) who friends complained/critized/angry to her why is she granting access to her kids when he is not giving her money. I was well used to hearing mothers refusing fathers access to kids while accepting lots of money for them, so her answer surprised me,
    "The kids will judge me in the future for my actions, as the truth will always come out eventually, It will not be the reason and judgment we want them to have."
    "As our kids know us better than we do, for they are always listening and watching our actions."
    "It will be me they the kids will be angry at for refusing their father access to them. As I am the one who have control over them".
    "They grow up fast and they do remember!"

One Her friend in a dismissal tone, told her that she was stupid, and that all kids are stupid and that she had plenty of chances to milk money from him.

The mother proceeded to tell them that it was her choice and that she wanted to have the kid, not his, for he did not want kids yet and she used him to have one. One of her friends said again with a dismissal tone. "I want kids too, so I can get easy money"

So they are extremes in this world, mothers who love their kids and mother who uses their kids for selfish reasons.
    Each situation is different, and I have to admire her attitude to putting her kids first as they will be the unwanted victims in these terrible situations or it just that she is afraid/worried in losing her kids when they flee home when they grow up.

"The kids will judge me in the future for my actions, as the truth will always come out eventually, It will not be the reason and judgment we want them to have."
    "They grow up fast and they do remember!"

It reminds me of the following old saying
    OLDSAYING wrote:
    “How your kids treat you when you are old, depends how you treat them when they are young”

So OP. I do not know your kid mother as any of us really do or her true reason for been defensive as every mother is different. She may even be worried that you want more control over their lives and she will lose more independence. I do not know how good or bad you relationship you have with each other, but there is a trust issue from reading your posts, in which you must resolve (peacefully in a calm manner) for your kids sake.
    Most people don’t know what they are like until they see a recording of themselves and then relies how terrible they are and they are the same ones who are very defensive in the first place.

My main advice, make sure you reasons for doing anything is for your kids welfare, Not yours, for your kid will judge you when it is older, when it will be wiser.

And there are some babysitters who will know these kids better than their father's ever will because the baby sitter actually spends time with them and the kids will grow up loving and bonding with the baby sitter, while the dad is off doing whatever he thinks is more important.

And there are some babysitters who will know these kids better than their father's ever will because the baby sitter actually spends time with them and the kids will grow up loving and bonding with the baby sitter, while the dad is off doing whatever he thinks is more important.

I take it you recognise this can apply to mothers too in this day and age.

We werent talking about mothers. The remark I was referring to was to imply that a father is more than an atm and a babysitter. Sometimes he is far less. The babysitter will see the kids moreso when the father is not around.

• Advertisement

We werent talking about mothers. The remark I was referring to was to imply that a father is more than an atm and a babysitter. Sometimes he is far less. The babysitter will see the kids moreso when the father is not around.

So if the father is around, 50/50 access would be a good thing?

The babysitter often sees the child more than the mother and father with high mortgages etc etc. Doesn't just happen when the father isn't around.

Advertisement