Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath West

Options
  • 17-03-2007 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Im out of the country for the time being, and from the looks of it wont be back in time for the election but I was wondering what the situation is in Meath West?

Im guessing Dempsey and Brady for FF and Reilly for SF, English and possibly someone else for FG are running? Labour and the rest wont be in contention.

Do you think Reilly will finally get elected seeing as he's retained his Navan base? Dempsey will probably get arrested by name alone and hes still got his south Meath base. Brady is more northern based so will he lose out with Moynalty, Nobber and Kilmainham Wood all going to Meath East? He never seemed to do anything for Meath in my opinion. English will get in just cos hes young, although hes not the brightest in my opinion.

Is there anyone else running of note? I heard Graham Geraghty was mentioned but that couldnt be true, could it?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Geraghty is running for Fine Gael. I'm keeping an open mind on that one. ;)

I think English has done very well in the last 3 years. He is a credit to Meath and to young politicians. I really like the way he had the balls to stand up to Bertie over Bertiegate. He asked bertie a very good question* which Bertie avoided answering.

Q: How did he get to the airport when he flew to Manchester?
    A: (If we got one would most likely have been in his ministerial limousine)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

How the Indo reported English's input on the day:
    Fine Gael's Damien English did rattle Mr Ahern when he asked a common-sense question: if you were so hard up, how come you were able to go on six or seven trips to Manchester every year?

Mr Ahern didn't see that coming, and got snippy when pressed about how he travelled to and from the airport on his trips. "The issue of how I got to the airport - well it's unlikely that I walked."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Im guessing Dempsey and Brady for FF and Reilly for SF, English and possibly someone else for FG are running? Labour and the rest wont be in contention.
    It's 3 seater so you will probably have Dempsey, Brady and English. Joe Reilly is the only other candidate threatening that. If Reilly takes a seat it will be Johnny Brady's.

Johnny Brady has lost half of north Meath with the constituency division, and is allegedly not popular over in the new Westmeath part of the Meath West constituency for some historic reasons going back to when that part of Westmeath was part of the Meath electoral area.

Geraghty might take celebrity votes from everywhere, but may not attract enough FG votes to threaten English.

None of them look particularly strong on delivering the railway:

www.meathontrack.com

Advertisement