Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista on komplett...?

• 17-03-2007 5:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

This version of vista on komplett is what im going to buy for my pc around the end of the month!

link.

I curious it says theres no support from microsoft? Does this mean I wont get updates or anything? Im pretty sure I will im just curious? Cause its way more affordable than the retail version?

Also im getting the 64bit so I can add more ram!

Is there anything else different between 32 and 64bit versions that I should be aware of?

Im a gamer mainly...

Thanks!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

OEM means that the system is supposed to be sold with a PC , and your first line of "phone" support is then the PC manufacturer , however all the support you'll ever need with Windows is available online with a quick google search or a hunt around forums like this so your safe enough.

Updates work as normal , just like any other version of Windows .

You get to activate once over the net , should anything die on you and you need to re-install , you have to ring microsoft , I bought home premium oem a couple of weeks ago and duffed up the install, and its just a case of ringing microsoft and getting a number , they are really nice about it so dont let that stop you. They just ask if the OS is installed on more than one PC ( the answer to which is no !! ) and you then get given a 26 digit activation number and your ready to go.

Now heres the bad news , Vista being new and all , driver support is all over the place , I bought 32 bit and it took me most of the last two weeks to get the proper drivers for everything , but I did get them.All is well now and Im happy enough with Vista :D ....but be warned

Driver support for 64 bit is terrible , really really terrible , and there is no way that Vista 64 bit will accept any flavour of 32 bit driver ,they absolutely must be Vista certified or the OS spits em back at you , so unless you know for a fact that all your hardware has 64 bit Vista drivers , forget about 64 bit Vista and get 32 bit Vista instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

What's the dealio with activating the OEM once you change your hardware?
    I was under the impression that there was some restriction in that respect, that isn't in the retail version.

With the retail version you re-activate on-line, with the OEM version you cannot do this and have to make a call to Microsoft to get a number , but as I said , they are very nice about it and its no real hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They have every right not to give you the activation on the phone though so as mentioned be nice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

So I can install it? But if I want to format the pc and do a clean install I will need to ring microsoft and ask for a code to get it working again?

Hmmm thats why there so cheap so :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Ruu wrote:
    They have every right not to give you the activation on the phone though so as mentioned be nice. :)
    Under what circumstances would they refuse you an activation?
    When you've upgraded so many components that it's no longer considered the original machine?

Yeah that would be about right , but of course its up to you to be totally honest with them and tell them how many parts you have changed , and not just tell them that the hard drive died , as they so often do !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

What if you havnt changed parts could you reinstall without ringing them?

No , you only get one activation, thats it , for any other install you have to ring , not a big deal really. And if you do the sensible thing and make an image backup ( using retrospect ,or Norton ghost , or even the new Vista backup utility ) of the fresh install , then you can reload from that and activation is not an issue at all.

Advertisement