Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3, reset service indicator?

Options
  • 17-03-2007 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭

Any idea how to reset it. It's a 2004 1.6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

AFAIK, Audi's can only be reset with a computer which is odd given that VWs, Skodas and Seats can be done manually. This certainly was the case in late 90s and early 2000s. Not 100% sure about an 04, but it's less likely to be possible if it's the previous model.

However, a quick search threw up this. Worth a go....

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

crosstownk the 8L (90s-00s) could be reset, instructions are these
    (from the manual, there are a couple of variations around):

1) Switch off ignition.

2) Press the right-hand button and hold while switching on the ignition. The display should now read "SERVICE!".

3) Turn the left-hand button in an anti-clockwise direction until the word "SERVICE!" is cleared from the display.

As said above not sure are there are similar ones for the 8P, will check my manual later if you are still stuck.

Do you know if this A3 is set to fixed or variable service intervals?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

yes, its possible to do this yourself, using some combination of button presses... I did it myself last year, can't quite remember how, but its detailed in the manual.

copacetic wrote:
    crosstownk the 8L (90s-00s) could be reset, instructions are these
    (from the manual, there are a couple of variations around):

1) Switch off ignition.

2) Press the right-hand button and hold while switching on the ignition. The display should now read "SERVICE!".

3) Turn the left-hand button in an anti-clockwise direction until the word "SERVICE!" is cleared from the display.

As said above not sure are there are similar ones for the 8P, will check my manual later if you are still stuck.

Do you know if this A3 is set to fixed or variable service intervals?

yep - this is probably the case. I should have clarified that I was referring to 8A and 4B models which were probably pre 8L.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Gonna put my flame suit on for this one :)

If whoever did the service cannot reset the service interval then could they have done the service correctly?
    Serious question. There is a lot more to a service than fluids and filters.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Gonna put my flame suit on for this one :)

If whoever did the service cannot reset the service interval then could they have done the service correctly?
    Serious question. There is a lot more to a service than fluids and filters.

presumably you could service a car perfectly well without having to know the sequence of button pushes to reset the light?

Or do you think not?

copacetic wrote:
    presumably you could service a car perfectly well without having to know the sequence of button pushes to reset the light?

Or do you think not?

I think so - but, if you service a car to the Nth degree and forget to reset the service indicator, the customer will assume that you did nothing. It's as bad as servicing a car and parking it in the exact same place that the customer left it in when it was dropped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

If you have access to service info then you would have access to reset info too.
    Also some service schedules include a scan of the ECU's for faults. If someone can do this then they can use the same tool to reset the interval too.
    I have seen a few posts here about DIY servicing and wonder how many of these were done as per the schedule.

Advertisement