Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP windows vista

• 17-03-2007 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi i would love if someone can help me with my crisis. bought a laptop in holland with windows vista and when i got home and opened it its in DUTCH!!!! and i cannot change the settings. can anyone help me?

i know i should have known it would be in dutch but a friend assured me it would be in english

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can't change languages - you need to install an English version of Vista. Whether the laptop's licence allows this or not is a mystery to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 unreg123456

thats a nightmare :( i actually bought it in aldi in the netherlands. is there no way around this at all? i thought u could change the settings somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

you can download the language packs through the windows update and then change the language through control panel/display language.
    I can do this on Vista Ultimate don't know if it can be done on other versions though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not sure about Vista, but the way it was in XP is that you were locked into the language, unless you had specifically bought a multilanguage version.

I can't see why Vista would be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah I thought you where locked into the language depending on where you bought it. Auvers can you actually change the operating system wide language through what you describe ?

If that where so you could use the Windows Upgrade Anytime (inside the control panel) to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate and then change the language the method below would not be necessary.

unreg123456 there is a way out for you though as I had to deal with this problem for a friend who purchased a laptop from Pixmania only to receive the French version of Vista.

What you need is a loan of Windows Vista from anyone who has it (the English install DVD basically) all you do then is re-install the operating system (you can erase the prior install) & use your serial key on the underside of the laptop.

Now comes the tricky part as OEM versions are tied to the motherboard the system wont reactivate so what you have to do is call MS and when it fails to auto activate speak to a rep and tell them the motherboard died and it was replaced & they will re-activate the system for you.

You are now up & running with a proper English version of Vista, the rep's might be understanding towards your problem as you are not installing Vista on more than one computer just the original one but I wouldn't risk it and just use the dead mobo excuse.

Of course all this hinges on you knowing someone who will let your borrow their Windows Vista DVD for a little while at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

8T8 wrote:
    Yeah I thought you where locked into the language depending on where you bought it. Auvers can you actually change the operating system wide language through what you describe ?

I copied and pasted the info on one of the language pack in windows update.

Italian Language Pack

Download size: 148.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

When you install this language pack on Windows Vista Ultimate and select this language in Change Display Language in Control Panel, Windows displays menus and dialog boxes in Italian.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=81071

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Cool didn't know you could do that with the Ultimate version.

Well that's the best course of action for unreg123456 though it means spending a bit of money to upgrade to the Ultimate version he can avoid having to reactive the the OS.

Of course reading the text from the Windows Anytime Upgrade in Dutch to upgrade to Vista Ultimate is another matter.

HP have a Anytime Upgrade guide of sorts that might help you through the process unreg123456.

Advertisement