Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When is price better than nice?

• 17-03-2007 2:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭

OK heres a scenario for the ladies only! You get engaged and your other half says lets go pick a ring together. Happy days says you and you make your merry way to the jewellers. And such a posh jewellers it is too!

So ur other half tells you his budget is €12k. Whoopee says you! So in the shop you eventually are torn between 2 rings. 1 of them is just under €12k. Its nice but its kinda hmmm. But its pricey which is always good for the ladies. BUt the ring you really liked is only €5k. It wasnt until you saw the receipt you went, hmmm and said maybe i shud get a more expensive one.

What do you do???

Ladies, which ring would you pick? 34 votes

Go for the more expensive ring even though aesthetically you prefer the other one
    0% 0 votes
    Go for the cheaper one because its your favourite one
    5% 2 votes
    Get the cheaper one but tell your BF you will use the rest of the budget for shopping/holiday
    94% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If I ever get engaged it is going to be around October when affordable rings are made easily available in the barmbracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

why would you choose a ring that isnt as nice, just cos its more expensive?

are you going to keep the price tag on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Cheaper ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The nicer ring is more important as you will be wearing it for the rest of your life, engagements and weddings are not about money, they are about being in love and showing off your love to the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I chose a laptop. It isn't shiney and won't fit on my finger but it allows my cousins to send Battlestar Galactica and Heroes to me shortly after they are shown in the US/Canada. No poncy diamond will do that.:D

Oh, and it only cost £600.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

12k for a ring? No offence but that's madness! I think there are a lot of much better (worthwhile) things you could do with that kind of money. It's a cliche but you shouldn't need to spend that much.. i'll stop now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

iguana wrote:
    I chose a laptop. It isn't shiney and won't fit on my finger but it allows my cousins to send Battlestar Galactica and Heroes to me shortly after they are shown in the US/Canada. No poncy diamond will do that.:D

Oh, and it only cost £600.

But a diamond can cut through your laptop, ergo diamond beats laptop, rock, paper and even scissors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

^^No, paper wraps diamond. I don't really understand this thread :( Why would you pay more for somehting you like less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

12k for a ring? No offence but that's madness! I think there are a lot of much better (worthwhile) things you could do with that kind of money. It's a cliche but you shouldn't need to spend that much.. i'll stop now:)

Spot on. I wouldn't spend anywhere near 5k either but its the OPs moneh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Wow, when people say they need €nk for getting married, is the €12k ring factored in to this? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Don't think that this is factored in, no. In the end of the day it should never be about cost with the ring or with the whole marriage rollarcoaster, it should be about the love between 2 people, sometimes I think that gets lost along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

faceman wrote:
    It wasnt until you saw the receipt you went, hmmm and said maybe i shud get a more expensive one.

What do you do???

Actually dude, that was a test for you.

If your lady goes for a €12k ring she doesn't want over a €5k ring she does, that should be an alarm for you that she is a bit of an idiot. It shows she's more concerned with what other people think than what she wants and I'd be questioning how she'd respond to the countless other choices she's going to face in your married life.

Personally I wouldn't be having it, but talk to her over her reasons before you make a decision yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

CathyMoran wrote:
    The nicer ring is more important as you will be wearing it for the rest of your life, engagements and weddings are not about money, they are about being in love and showing off your love to the world.

Exactly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

JUst for the record, this is a hypothetical situation, a debate that kicked off in the office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Clearly the cheaper ring is the answer. I can think of a million different ways to spend the balance other than on a ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Once you buy these expensive rings and other jewelry they instantly lose value, they are intrinsicly worth a lot less than they sell for. the diamonds and gold in them may be only worth a fraction of selling price. A ring is just a symbol so price should be irrelevant to most rational people and a ring for a grand should suffice. For gods sake buy her a cheap ring and use money saved to get her a voucher for her favorite clothes store/boutique. if a gf was that concerned what people think of her i would be reconsidering my proposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I would take the cheaper ring (after visiting other stores to see what they had to offer - what girl only visits one store ffs?!) and then buy a bottle of dom to celebrate my thriftiness. :)

Advertisement